Author Topic: Wheelchair  (Read 10724 times)

gemini20

• Gold Member
Wheelchair
« on: 05 Jul 2013 10:52PM »
I went to see my doctor last week,and while there mentioned that my walking had become really painful etc.So he filled in a form to get me a wheelchair assessment .So I thought here goes 8 weeks on a waiting list.But no...I had a phone call on tuesday to say the wheelchair has been approved,then another call today to tell me it will be delivered next week. I am most impressed,not to mention very pleased .I really was expecting quite a long wait. I think wheelchair services should take over atos. >biggrin<

Yvette

Re: Wheelchair
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2013 09:39AM »
gemini, have wheelchair services assessed you for the correct size wheelchair?

If they haven't, they could bring you the wrong size wheelchair.  >doh<

starsmurf

« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul 2013 11:34AM »
I had a similar experience.  I changed GPs after my pervious one made a huge fuss about my asking for a wheelchair (even though I was having to use my sister's spare one). 

When I saw the new GP, I had an appointment to discuss my health problems which overran.  I mentioned that I had a telephone consultation booked for later in the week to request a wheelchair, just in case he wondered why I had two appointments.  My GP said he'd just do it now and even crawled under his desk to retrieve the measuring tape he'd dropped that morning ("I knew I'd end up needing this today").  He took a couple of measurements as I sat in a chair and asked a few questions about what I needed.

I expected it to take weeks and to have to travel over 20 miles to get the chair.  However, a few days later I got a phonecall asking if it was ok to deliver the chair in a few minutes!  The wheelchair technician was in my village and had brought my chair with him, as he hoped his visit to another wheelchair user wouldn't take long.

The forms were obviously well-designed as the chair I got was a perfect fit.  The person who delievered it had me sit in it while he adjusted the footplates etc.  He also made sure that the brakes were the perfect setting for me, tight enough to be safe but not so tight that I couldn't put them on or off.  He also went through care of the wheelchair and emphasised that if I struggled with anything or needed anything adjusted, I was to call them and they'd come out the same day (pretty impressive as it would be at least 30 minutes travel each way).

It shows how well the NHS can do things.  Can you imagine if these services were privatised (something I imagine this government would like to do)? 
Look carefully at the avatar, note what's barely visible in the gap in the rings.  I've highlighted it for you.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2013 01:10PM »
t shows how well the NHS can do things.  Can you imagine if these services were privatised (something I imagine this government would like to do)?

The so and sos would probably try to fit you with casters to save a few quid on a chair.

Hope the wheelchair is suitable for you, gemini20 >thumbsup<

gemini20

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2013 10:09PM »
Thanks for the replies,yes Yvette the measurements were taken at the surgery and they checked them again over the phone.so should be fine. NN.Thank you. The chair will make life so much easier.

Yvette

« Reply #5 on: 06 Jul 2013 10:50PM »
the measurements were taken at the surgery and they checked them again over the phone.

I'm so glad you posted the above because in your op you said, "...he filled in a form to get me a wheelchair assessment", which made me think you hadn't been measured, as the measurements are usually done during the wheelchair assessment.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2013 06:37AM »
Thank you Gemini,

Getting a wheelchair can be a bit of a postcode lottery because different areas of the country have different regulations. It is great to read that some people can have their G take measurements and then the wheelchair service delivery the chair to them.

I think the majority of people getting their first wheelchair will get on 'of the peg' in standard sizes so if a mistake in measurements is made it is easily sorted with a replacement chair. Bespoke chairs are more tricky and electric power chairs more so. It was years ago but I remember my mum getting a replacement chair brought to her house, it was a dull metal grey monstrosity that had been made for someone else and the person at the wheelchair service decided it would be okay for mum. It certainly was not it was so wide and deep that it offered mum no support and it could not physically fit round the corners in her flat.

The wheelchair service in Derbyshire is very good. Last time I went the OT realised I needed a lighter weight chair because while I looked able to lift the one she had me try out when I actually tried to life it it was too difficult. This meant I got a substantial wheelchair voucher that I was able to use at Bromakin  >biggrin<

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2013 05:41PM »
Hello Gemini

Today Wed 17/7/13 I was measured for a lighter wheelchair >biggrin< tried the demonstration model (Great) but I only need a 17" seat but the draw back I'll have to wait until end of Augest >steam< >crying< unless they can find something in stock

gemini20

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2013 04:39PM »
Hi Bule, The new chair sounds good,I hope they can find one in stock for you so that you dont have to wait to long. Lin

sherbs

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2013 07:25PM »
Gemini

I really do hope you get a lightweight wheelchair, as a bog standard nhs one would be useless, you wont be able to push it yourself, trust me I know.

long story short, I ended up buying my own lightweight wheelchair as they would only give me vouchers in this county, and as I was deemed not disabled enough to get the high cost voucher I just declined the voucher for 85 and saved for over a year to get my lightweight wheelchair with the help of my sister.

Please do keep us updated, and well done for getting it sorted so quick.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2013 02:55PM »
Hello Gemini20

On 17th July 2013 I was measured for a new lightweight W/c (17 inch) width of seat should get it in Augest I will keep you informed. Last week someone told me their daughter had been waitting 7 month's hope I do'nt wait so long

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2013 08:19AM »
Last week someone told me their daughter had been waitting 7 month's hope I do'nt wait so long

Me too  >wheelchair< >x-fingers<

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2013 01:01PM »
Hello Gemini

As promised an update on my wheelchair the O.T measured me on 17th July + told me I could expect it in Auguest. Today 21st Auguest I rang receptionst at W/c center + was told they expect a delivery of new W/c's on Friday 30th Auguest I hope to sit in it on Monday 2nd September.

I will keep you informed as to progress

gemini20

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2013 03:29PM »
Hi Bule, So pleased that your wheelchair will not be to long to wait now.Will think of you on the 2nd,let us know how you get on with it.

I am getting a bit better with mine and havent actually run over anyone yet,although a few shop displays do now have dents in them, Oh well,they should give us more room. Lin