Author Topic: "Welcome guest, please register or login"  (Read 1669 times)

Sofie

• Charter Member and Volunteer
"Welcome guest, please register or login"
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
This is getting odd:

When you log in, you're asked how long you want to stay logged in for and there's an option for "forever". I clicked on that.

When I first come on this site, it says "welcome guest, please register or log in". If I go on to one of the boards, I am then logged in. Yet, I've not actually input my details.

Can someone please explain this?

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
Re: "Welcome guest, please register or login"
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:25:18 PM »
Are you using  favourite or bookmarked page when you first come over if so try re bookmarking the same page when it shows you logged in. Let me know if the new bookmark does the same thing.  >tah<

Sofie

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
No, not using a bookmark. I use Google Chrome, which remembers the websites I use. I can just type in www.o and a suggestion is Ouchtoo.org.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »
Hmm it is probably still going to the version of the page you first got on you initial visit. One way of sorting it would be to clear your browsing history and cookies but then you would lose the history you want to keep and also the saved passwords.

As you are getting automatically logged in as soon as you go to a board posting is not really be affected, but I can see why not being logged in straightaway could be irratating.

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:48:17 AM »
I get the same effect using Firefox 8 on Linux, so it's not browser specific. I suspect that there's a glitch with a login cookie, which would point to a problem in the board software, rather than something that SunshineMeadows could fix. That said, does anyone see this effect on Internet Explorer?

I'm not actually bothered by it myself, since I leave OuchToo open in a tab at all times anyway (I keep dozens of tabs open as a matter of course).

On a related note: Sunshine, does the board software get upgraded automatically if the developers issue a bug fix, or do you have to do it manually?

DarthVector

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »
OK, I've just noticed something odd. If I go to www.ouchtoo.org, it shows me the login prompt, despite my selecting a login time of 1 month. If I go to ouchtoo.org, without the "www", it behaves as it should. It shouldn't make a difference, but it does. I've just edited the "www" out of my saved bookmark as a result.

Can you try it with the different URLs and see what happens, please?

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:59:36 PM »
I use IE7 and had some confusion when I first joined (using forever) as it did not appear that anything had happened. However on opening the forum again it logged in automatically and has done since, so seems to be working correctly.

Sofie

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
Thanks guys. :-) It works if I press the Home button after loading the home page.

SunshineMeadows

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »
 >thumbsup<