Author Topic: Day to day mishaps that can ruin a Ouchers day.  (Read 38913 times)

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Day to day mishaps that can ruin a Ouchers day.
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
Yesterday I was in the attic storage area moving stuff around. I was wearing knee pads and even had a face mask on to reduce the affect the dust could have on me. Shuffling on my knees I moved forward to reach for an empty box and knelt on a small very hard bit of cement which had somehow got passed my thick kneepads to my kneecap. My response was the same as most people's would be whether disabled or not Ouch!!! swearing and wishing 'I had not just done that'. God it really really hurt. Then the pain abated to an ache and I continued with what I was doing.

Today my knee is all swelled up and reminds me of the time last year when I did a similar thing with my other knee, it swelled up much bigger, got infected and I almost had to go to hospital for intravenous antibiotics. The thing is that I spend much of my day moving about on my hands and knees so this very simple ordinary injury has put a major kink in not just what I want to achieve in the attic but day to day living like getting to the toilet.

I have yet to see any research or government documents that look at consequences of an ordinary mishap like falling over, burning a hand when cooking or causing any  other injury or hurt by try to live up to the Thompson the tank engine phrase ' I think I can I think I can'.

One of the reasons my knee got worse last year was because I lead with my right knee and keeping using it was unavoidable. This time it is my left knee to which I have to say Hooray I was so lucky.

Does anyone else have examples of what I am talking about.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:27:52 PM by SunshineMeadows »

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Day to day mishaps that can ruin a Ouchers day.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:58:50 PM »
Over 3,000 deaths a year in the UK are the result of home accidents more than on the roads. Half of these in-the-home deaths (1,500) are people falling over and, of these, between five and ten each year take place when people are trying to put on socks. (In 2003, 11,788 people were taken to hospital following accidents while putting on socks, tights or stockings).

Who would have thought it.  >biggrin<
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:00:21 PM by Dic Penderyn »
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:18:55 PM »
Last week my car broke down just at the end of my road partially blocking it.  I called the RAC and finally found someone to help me move the car out of the way, in tears by this time so cue humiliation.  The RAC man arrived an hour later and the car started first time.  He did check it and said it might have been the damp.  I then burst into tears in the local shop.

The rest of the week was mediocre to say the least and then on Saturday my microwave expired.  It was old and I replaced it the same day but it's just hassle which I am really struggling with at the moment.

My mental health is still pretty crap at the moment which means I've been frantically doing too much and am now in a fibro and cfs flare.  I kind of know what I should be doing but am failing to do it.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
Me: Saturday night. Was meant to be meeting some friends in the pub. But got a late invite to someone who they don't know's birthday do. So said I'd see them after I'd been to that for a while. Got to the pub, went in and the first person I saw was a very attractive woman of my acquaintance. So of course the cool thing to do would not to fall over. But I fell over. Because I have to concentrate to stay upright and she'd distracted me. And just to make it even worse my legs then went into spasm and once I stood up I was hardly able to move. So the lovely ***** had to accompany me almost the entire length of the pub to where my friends were. I could sense the entire pub population thinking either 'aw, poor thing' or 'he's had a few too many.'

Oh yeah and there was a piece of birthday cake in my pocket. Which was now a collection of crumbs in my pocket. I even found some of it in my wallet today. And by the time we left the pub ***** had already left (although we'd had a text exchange earlier during which I pointed out that I didn't do that every day and she replied that she was used to men falling at her feet.) So she didn't see me not fall over - and not even nearly fall over - on the way out. But a bloke sitting opposite where she'd been said hello to me and something about that was how to make an entrance. I realised then that he's my next door neighbour's dad...

Sunday morning: Went for a swim, decided to book a haircut on my way out, the legendary HFTH and another lass were on reception, booked the haircut for yesterday and then one of my crutches slipped slightly and fell to the ground, knocking me off balance leaving me clutching desperately onto to the reception desk. I managed to stay upright, so should be grateful for small mercies and HFTH even came round from reception and picked my crutch up.

To be continued........

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:00:09 PM »
Yesterday was transporting my plasma TV in the car put it on the back seat for safety during the trip a small object that was loose in the rear of the car bounced going over a bump hit the TV and cracked the screen. I actually cried me  a grown man of 63 standing on the road crying.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »
Oh dear!!!

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:58 PM »
Yeh 42" Panasonic plasma hd 3d  >doh< thats the sort of week I've been having and it's only Tuesday.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:31 PM »
...was going to go to the university library but frankly couldn't be arsed, so drove home, popping into a shop next to some traffic lights on the way. Purchases purchased I got into the car, started it up, put a little pressure on the hand control but nothing happened, so put a little bit more pressure on. And it suddenly lurched backwards, hitting a car that had just pulled up at the lights. Inexplicable. I'm usually so careful.

The two young lads in the car reacted like I'd just wiped out both their families and then tried to do a runner and even though I offered to pay for any damage (I couldn't see any!) demanded my insurance details. So 13 years without an at-fault claim is probably going to end because of what is at worst a bit of scratched paintwork. Super. Went home. Went to bed.

Yesterday I'd arranged to meet a musician acquaintance - I'd seen him play live the previous week - in the pub at lunchtime. He turned up just as I was getting out of the car. And my legs went into spasm again. I didn't fall but it took me about ten minutes to get into the place. He had to leave before I'd finished my drink and asked if I wanted any help. No I said. And I didn't. Got back to the car no problem. It seems my legs like an audience.

But on the way to the gym, where I planned to go for a swim and then get my hair cut I was caught short. I know what my bladder's like so pulled up on a quiet road. I have a bottle for such emergencies but couldn't find it so used an empty Lucozade bottle. Unfortunately I didn't er...insert...properly and proceeded to pee all down my trousers. Went home, cancelled the haircut and went to bed.

I would quite willingly have stayed there for the rest of my life but I'd arranged to go to the pictures with a female friend. So got up, had a shower (obviously) and went to see the film. Afterwards I was giving my friend a lift home, got into the car, started it up and thought 'hold on, there's something wrong here.' The hand control had completely stiffened up and although I managed to get her home, as soon as I got round the corner no matter how much pressure I put on it was hardly moving. Had to keep pulling in to let other cars go past (apart from one point when it shot forward unexpectedly quickly and I had to slam the brakes on to avoid hitting another car at some lights.) Pulled into the university campus on my way home. Had a look to see what was happening but was unable to work it out. Then started the car again. This time nothing happened at all, no matter how much pressure I put on the control. After about 15 minutes I managed to get it moving again and finally got home about midnight.

The cat had been outside. The cat was nowhere to be seen, even after about 20 minutes of calling for her.  I feared the worst (I know mogs sometimes go on walkabouts but she's never done it before) so had a very fitful night's sleep. Until half four when she decided to announce her return, probably waking up all the other flat's residents at the same time.

Phoned the RAC this morning. Turned out the hand control had somehow got rusted up, which would explain the stiffness and sudden lurch backwards on Sunday, although I don't think that'll hold much sway with the insurers. Apart from that, not much has happened today, apart from a friend coming round to my flat and nearly hitting one of my neighbours who was pulling out of the drive as she pulled in. Luckily they both saw the funny side. He thought it was me at first as we both have silver-coloured cars. Apart from the fact she's female and Asian it's hard to tell the difference.

I'm off to bed anyway before anything else happens. Sometimes I genuinely think I was put on this planet as a practical joke. Goodnight all.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »
Some times it's just not worth getting out of bed.

Yvette

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 08:21:37 AM »
Jockice, you should go on the stage. 

But do *not* stand or sit too near the front as we all know you would end up in the orchestra pit.  >whistle<

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 08:41:05 AM »
As my dad once said, if someone threw a stone into a football crowd, I'd be the one it'd hit...

I'm totally used to it though. Doesn't make it much easier though. Good joke, get someone who hates attention and make it so he gets unwanted attention every day of his life. It's a wonder I'm not a serial killer or something after that. Or Simon Stevens.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »
Or Simon Stevens

Thats a bit OTT don't you think Jockice.

Jockice

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »
Sorry!

Ricardomeister

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »
Didn't have the best day yesterday.....I have been in the urgent category for a 2 bed wheelchair adapted bungalow for over 3 years and have been forced to complain about the lack of transparency and unfairness in the bidding process, as well as the lack of common sense (I am not allowed to move into a normal bungalow as a stop gap as this does not meet my needs even though my 2 bed semi is obviously far more unsuitable!). I have had a buyer since July, who has been very patient, but he will not wait forever. Just to rub my nose in it, yesterday I saw that there is a nice, new, wheelchair adapted property. However, I am not allowed to bid for it because of my age (It is for 55+ and I am 47). I have now emailed my mp and asked him to intervene as such blatant discrimination is certainly immoral and, on the face of it, illegal under the Equality Act (although I bet there is some exception which makes the Act useless). The allocation of wheelchair adapted bungalows should be on medical need, not on age.

To compound matters, my pills for high blood pressure arrived yesterday and I found out that neither my friend nor brother can wheel me to the next Villa game! Will be heading to the pool this afternoon to get rid of my frustrations!

Yvette

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 11:12:03 AM »
The allocation of wheelchair adapted bungalows should be on medical need, not on age.

I agree.