Author Topic: JSA & ESA Mandatory work activity.  (Read 874 times)

AccessOfficer

JSA & ESA Mandatory work activity.
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
"Skills Conditionality (SC) is a policy that mandates claimants receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance (Work Related Activity Group) to undertake activity to address an identified skills need which will aid their movement into work."

The figures indicate that there were 322,950 referrals and 164,090 starts for those declaring they have a disability. However I am quite happy for either Lankou or Ricardomeister or both to inform me that my maths are wrong as it wouldn't be the first time in my life I was considered to be a bit of a dunce!!

"Mandatory Work Activity was launched on 16 May 2011, enabling Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA) claimants to move closer to the labour market by helping them re-engage with the system, refocus their job search and gain work-related disciplines, whilst also contributing to the local community."

"Work related disciplines include attending on time, regularly carrying out specific tasks and working under supervision for 4 weeks and offers further support to some JSA and ESA (Work Related Activity Group) claimants who would benefit from a short period of activity." 

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/260926/mandatory-programmes-nov-2013.pdf

A typical MWA working week for both JSA and ESA claimants is 30 hours long and the placement lasts for 4 weeks for both JSA and ESA work-based placements with hosts, sourced by external providers under contract to DWP and participation is mandatory.

Regards
AO

devine63

Re: JSA & ESA Mandatory work activity.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:34:08 AM »
but I learned yesterday from a friend that the Disability Employment Advisor at the Job Centre says that no, they will not help with the cost of his re-training (after developing a disability) ... because he is over 50.   So much for age discrimination being illegal.
regards, Deb

Yvette

Re: JSA & ESA Mandatory work activity.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »
they will not help with the cost of his re-training (after developing a disability) ... because he is over 50.

That is really bad because as the retirement age has literally been abolished, a fifty year old person could have twenty/twenty five years of working life ahead of them.