Author Topic: Is this a stupid idea?  (Read 3956 times)

Yvette

Is this a stupid idea?
« on: 01 Feb 2014 11:37AM »
I have watched several tv programmes where rhinos and elephants have been killed for their horn/tusks - even in nature reserves meant for their protection.

Why don't the nature reserve people dart these animals (yes, it may be difficult with a rhino) and remove their horns/tusks? 

That way the animals are not going to be killed because they do not have a horn/tusks to be killed for.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2014 02:49PM by SunshineMeadows »

devine63

Re: Is this a stupid idea?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2014 11:42AM »
Hi

I believe they have tried that in some places, Yvette

regards, Deb

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 01 Feb 2014 11:56AM »
One problem I see with de-horning is defence. Will this reduce the animal's chances against a predator? Also they may be used for display, either for mating or establishing a hierarchy in the herd.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2014 12:50PM »
Here is a blog about it.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 01 Feb 2014 01:50PM »
I looked at the comments at the bottom of the blog and they include

1: poachers would kill the rhino anyway so as not to accidentally track the same one the next day, and 2: they would hack off what tiny bit of the horn remained. - See more at: http://blog.nature.org/conservancy/2012/11/26/detusking-mountain-bull/#sthash.AzpzWR3q.dpuf

Both good points but given the alternative of not trying to do something then it is better to continue the de- tusking. That said I would if it hits the number of tourists going to particular game reserves if the animals dont look as they naturally should.

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #5 on: 01 Feb 2014 04:19PM »
The problem with de-tusking is what they use them for in everyday life.  I speak only of elephants as I do not know enough about the hairy stuff that makes rhino horn.

Tusks have many tasks:
  • Defence and attack for mating purposes, so that the strongest gets the girls.
  • Defence when attacked by predators
  • Stripping bark to eat or mark trees
  • Digging for water, salt, and roots;
  • Moving trees and branches when clearing a path.
  • They also act to protect the trunks as a sort of fender.

De-tusking is not an option as a nerve runs about a third of the way down it, so in a way, it can be likened to removing a tooth, but unlike for a human it is more like removing half a dozen.  There was an experimental de-tusking carried out in the Serengeti National Park (IIRC) in the 1980's the animals that had half of the tusk removed were found to be losing weight and not thriving.  Unfortunately the herd moved out of the park and most were later found shot and their tusks removed.

The whole thing makes me want to  >crying< as these gentle giants do nothing but feed and look after their family.  It's only when mankind gets in the way they go berserk. 
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

Yvette

« Reply #6 on: 01 Feb 2014 05:10PM »
I want to cry too Tony as I feel so sad for these poor animals being slaughtered so cruelly.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2014 05:50PM »
Hello Yvette

The athority's should execute the cowerdly terroiest's who hide behind the so called title of poacher

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2014 05:59PM »
Hi Bule

Well said, but sadly, while there are enough people desperate enough for the money to take risks on behalf of the poaching syndicates, then animals will be needlessly slaughtered.  :-(

oldtone27

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 01 Feb 2014 06:01PM »
I think the problem is that by the nature of the terrain there is very little authority. We are talking about huge tracts of land sparsely populated with little infrastructure and even less policing.

Most of the countries cannot afford aerial surveillance which is probably the only way of covering the area. The price that can be obtain for tusks and horns makes it worth the risk, and local people may not be bothered to interfere if the animals damage their crops or livestock enclosures.

They are only likely to be protective if they make their living from tourism. Only a few do.

It will only stop once the animals are worth more to the populace alive than dead.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 01 Feb 2014 06:49PM »
The answer is to also improve the standard of living of the local people.  If they are so poor that they are at subsistence level then they need to earn money to survive.  If they are given alternative ways of earning a living (different crops, industry etc etc) then the pull towards poaching is lessened.

Sadly this is happening in so many areas.  One big cause of devastation of forest is to make palm oil plantations.  Has anyone been watching the orangutan series?  I had no idea of the amount of devastation of the natural forest just to give us palm oil.  The same in Australia by the Great Barrier Reef.  The land is part of the eco-system that maintains the coral and all the wonderful creatures that live there.  Cutting down the forest there to make palm oil plantations is having dreadful effects on the reef life.  It is happening all over the world.  >crying<

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog
« Reply #11 on: 02 Feb 2014 02:41PM »
Unfortunately, most of the trade in endangered species is promoted by greed and arrogance.  To have a piece of ivory adorning some part of your home or person has been the ideal of many for so long and its rarity makes it expensive.

Rhino horn is used in Oriental medicine, for what I don't know, but I am sure there is something that can take its place.

I did see an episode of Father Brown on TV the other day where they said that chopped tiger whiskers will cut up someone's stomach, this could be a fitting punishment for all those involved in tiger murder and sales.

As I always say when a dog has fouled the pavement outside my house - "They should put the animal down - and get the dog a new home!"
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 02 Feb 2014 06:15PM »
Rhino horn is used to improve potency in men.  It does not work.

suessad

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 02 Feb 2014 06:39PM »
Unfortunately, most of the trade in endangered species is promoted by greed and arrogance. 
    >thumbsup<  No matter how hard they try it's impossible to stop human greed.

Rhino horn is used to improve potency in men.  It does not work.
Scratches head, wonders how you know.  >whistle<

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 02 Feb 2014 08:05PM »
 >lol<

Because it is only pressed hair.  That is all that is in it.