Author Topic: Keep Warm, Keep Well.  (Read 2087 times)

AccessOfficer

Keep Warm, Keep Well.
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
 Information for… Over 60s, Low-income families and People living with a disability.

This leaflet gives advice on staying well in cold weather, covering issues such as financial help, healthy lifestyle, flu jabs and heating.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/254859/Keep_Warm_Keep_Well_2013_WEB_FINAL.pdf

Regards
AO

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Keep Warm, Keep Well.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »
Good timing for a informative post like this  >thumbsup<.

I had three sunny days in the garden and then the last three days have been wintery. I had put the central heating down and not bothered with a jumper then got caught out feeling cold and awful so much so I went back to bed.

Does anyone else here find that if they just sit in one place eg watching tv they can get too cold without noticing it and it only becomes evident when you get up to go to the loo or make a snack?

The house is a typical terrace in that the downstairs back room is much colder than the upstairs and even after living her for 10 years I still have not managed to get a balanced heat around the house.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »
I'm in an end terraced house it gets quite cold and drafty even with double glazing. I am also sat by the computer and its cooling fans make a draft across my legs so I end up quite cold. That is why I have invested in an electric under blanket as I'm like a block of ice when I get into bed sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:36:37 PM by Dic Penderyn »
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »
Have a good number of hot water bottles and/or wheat heat things.

Have a duvet on the sofa or settee with a sleeping bag in the folded duvet.

Have a blanket or three on the end where you feet would be to try and block out the cold draught.

Have a hot water bottle in the area where your feet are going to be.

>bighugs<
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

June 2012 -Hypothyroidism.

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
I have three cuddly cats - William is keeping my lap lovely and warm and I am waiting for one of the girls to sit on my feet which are frozen.  My Raynaud's is acting up at the moment, probably because I have low blood pressure.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:34:36 PM »
Sunshine, so can you move your TV and computer to a warmer room upstairs and the contents of that room downstairs?

Mabelcat

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »
Amazingly Annie is actually now curled up next to my feet and they are warming up nicely.  I don't usually get this level of cooperation.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:41:44 PM »
All good ideas DD

devine63

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 12:04:18 AM »
Yes it is more likely that you would not feel the cold much when you sit still - so try to put an extra layer over you (such as a wrap or blanket) when you sit down.

Is it possible to put extra insulation on or in the walls of the colder parts of the house?
I don't know if it is still available, but you used to be able to get rolls of thin insulating sheets which could be hung on walls like wallpaper and then wallpapered over.   The insulating sheet is like a very thin layer of polystyrene so it is slightly spongy and warm to the touch. 

There is govt help available for doing such insulation I think and other types too.   If the walls can't take cavity wall insulation sometimes it is possible to attach insulation on the outside of the wall and then put a suitable render or something over it. 
regards, Deb

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:29:22 AM »
Sunshine, so can you move your TV and computer to a warmer room upstairs and the contents of that room downstairs?

Auntie,

I am a bit of a spoilt brat in that we have proper stairs to the attic room and so my desktop computer, and a tv are up there. I could not get up there for about a year when my left leg was bad but the desk went back up there a few months back.

I do have to stay downstairs until Mr Sunshine get up between 11-12 because the dogs bark and howl for attention if no one is here. I have to get up earliy to take pain killers because of hurtiness.

Last year our gas payment went up to £150 a month so I really had to watch how much we are using in the Autumn and then this Spring because the thermostat is downstairs and even though it is only on 20 it does come on so easily... especially if the back door is open a lot  >blush<

Btw we got the gas bill a last week and the payment has dropped yay

stalwart

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
Central heating on and the back door open?  why not burn fivers to keep warm   >whistle<

Just by turning the heating down from 20 to 18 can save a lot of money.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
why not burn fivers to keep warm

Because they do not give out as much heat as a tenner.