Author Topic: Incontinent bowel  (Read 2168 times)

Rosie

• Charter Member
Incontinent bowel
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
Nearly 20 years ago I had hemorrhoids zapped by laser after having suffered since I was pregnant with my son many years earlier.  They also did a rectal re-section due to the length of time during which I had had injections etc which caused my anal sphincter to be lax.

Before this was done I had had the accident which caused my spinal cord injury so it was a double whammy, and left me with partial Cauda Equina Syndrome and the resulting incontinent bowel.  I am fairly OK regarding bladder control although I have to wear incontinence pads as I only get seconds warning that I need to pee, but I have virtually no indication that my bowels want to or are emptying.

Incontinence pads are no problem for me but what can I do about this bowel incontinence?  Pads are useless for that and I cannot afford to buy the panties - plus they are so uncomfortable - and I have no knowledge whatsoever if I have messed myself as it happens when I have to get up from my chair,  but when I am upright my bowels just empty and I have no knowledge of it happening. 

What do I do now? 
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

Yvette

Re: Incontinent bowel
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:37:35 PM »
Surgery and radiotherapy caused my bowel incontinence. 

I had a colostomy which cured it.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 06:23:59 PM »
Thankfully it is not severe enough to warrant a colostomy and tbh I do not think I could cope if I had to have one, but it is one of the reasons I hate going anywhere where I might have to get to my feet, because I have no knowledge that anything is happening/has happened until I next go to the loo. 

I sometimes get the feeling that I have got to get to the loo quickly but mostly I have absolutely no sensation in my lower bowel at all, and it is beginning to get me down now.

ditchdwellers

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:04:08 PM »
That sounds horrible Rosie.  I don't have any advice I'm afraid  >hugs<

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
That sounds horrible Rosie.  I don't have any advice I'm afraid  >hugs<

Thank you for the hugs.  >rose<

It has just been one of the grotty days today as I had to be on my feet more than usual.  Yesterday evening I had 5 kilos of fresh chicken backs delivered for Pereg so put the bag straight in the refrigerator ready to sort this morning, when I had to break each one in half, pack each piece in a freezer bag and then put them in my big freezer on fast freeze before transferring them to her freezer [yes, she has her own freezer!].

I dumped the lot in the sink and stood wedged between the sink unit and my chair while I was doing all that  by which time I ended up in rather a mess, and as it is cold I was wearing thermal long janes under thick fleece-lined trousers - and I had to peel everything off me to get cleaned up.  Thank Heavens for adult wipes - like baby wipes but much larger and thicker.

Then my electrician turned up as I had a few things I wanted him to do and/or check, and it was quicker to heave myself  around my bungalow on my crutches than use my chair and I knew he was limited with time, so once again I ended up in a bit of a mess.  Everything went in the washing machine but it can stay there until tomorrow when I will get it all out and put it in the dryer. 

OK so it is not usually that bad except when my IBS is playing up, but it is not just once a day it is every time I get to my feet - and I have to get to my feet at times as I have no help, and I am grateful that I am able to do so with the help of my crutches as I know that so many people cannot.  Today just really got me down though.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
 >bighugs<

Rosie, have you considered using adult nappies on those days when having to be on your feet is unavoidable? I have problems with enuresis, and use nappies when staying away from home. They're a lot less leak-prone than pads, and if they weren't so painful for me, I'd probably use them all the time, as they're much easier to deal with than having to strip a bed.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:34:40 PM »
NN - I do have some incontinence panties but they are so darn uncomfortable.  Being stretchy [they are like the Tena panties but a different make] they really irritate my skin, but you are right, I should wear one when I know I have to do something like sorting and packing the chicken backs and other stuff, which is a fairly regular occurrence.   It would also be better for me to wear one when I am prepping food for cooking as I cook in bulk and freeze and the prepping also takes a while. 

I think that next time I put in an order for pads or any of the other things I get from the supply company I will get the next size up panties, as I think maybe they will be more comfortable.   

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »
Rosie, that sounds utterly horrid!  >hugs<

I wonder whether you could cope with something like this? http://www.continenceproductadvisor.org/products/faecaldevices/analplugs

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:16 PM »
Hurtyback it is something I have coped with for maybe 20 years now although initially I did have sensation and could normally get to a loo in time and I did not need to use proper incontinence pads.   The problem is that over the past few years I have lost more and more sensation due to Cauda Equina Syndrome.  It is not "full blown" CES as it is not affecting my legs any more than they were affected by the original accident which caused some spinal cord damage, but it does mean that I frequently have no sensation of wanting to empty my bowels or, if I do, it is literally at the last minute.    So something like the product you suggest would not really help, especially if I have an IBS flare-up causing the galloping trots. 

But thank you for caring enough to take the trouble to send me the link.   >hugs<