Author Topic: Award winning company with clothing for disabled people  (Read 2696 times)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
I saw a report on "Reporting Scotland" about a small company that was making clothing that fits for diabled adults & kids that is easy to take off, put on and is sized properly.

I wondered if it would be helpful to forum users - if its classed as advertising then please feel free to remove
this links to their blog
http://www.capr-style.com/blog-info/blog
A word from our founder, Claudia Romero

The idea for CAPR-Style came about when I was looking for clothing that would help with dressing and undressing my youngest son, who is almost 5-years old now and profoundly disabled.

As a mother of three young boys, time is not something I have in abundance. My youngest son has a neurological condition that prevents him from being able to move voluntarily; meaning he is 100% dependant on others. Due to this, dressing and undressing him is an extremely difficult task, especially when it comes to putting on t-shirts, jumpers and jackets.

As he has grown older, I began to struggle with his trousers as they don't have room for his pads. His growing has also made it increasingly difficult to change him, with his day carers and myself losing a lot of time in doing so.

just thought it would be useful to know about
Monic

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Award winning company with clothing for disabled people
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2015 04:44PM »
Than you Monic  >thumbsup<

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2015 07:56PM »
Their body vests are the sort of garment that are ideal for me, but they are very expensive compared to similar garments that are not specifically for people with disabilities.
Save the world - it's the only planet with chocolate

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2015 08:38PM »
I find that happens a lot Rosie. You take something fairly standard, re-label it with the word 'Disability' and quadruple the price  >angry<   The other words that have a similar effect are 'baby' and 'wedding'!

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2015 08:58PM »
I find that happens a lot Rosie. You take something fairly standard, re-label it with the word 'Disability' and quadruple the price  >angry<   The other words that have a similar effect are 'baby' and 'wedding'!
Yes, and "single" has a similar effect when applied to holidays even if the room on offer is only large enough for a single bed, small cupboard/ wardrobe + 1 bedside cabinet. ;-)  A single person doesn't use 2 seats on a plane or coach, doesn't need 2 seats in a dining room, doesn't eat as much as 2 people - but the cost is typically an awful lot more than half of a couple's cost.

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2015 11:08PM »

I am probably showing my age here now, but when I see the "disability fashion garments" as modeled by attractive young women in wheelchairs, I wonder exactly how comfortable  those clothes are and how easy they are to put on and get off.  I mean they look so good in the advert photos but...

...spending most of my waking hours in a chair I want comfort.  OK, I also want to look good but looking good while feeling uncomfortable is just plain stupid in my opinion.

Example - if I wear a skirt, trousers or leggings [all with a long loose tunic top] I might not be the height of fashion but at least I know that I look good - and because whatever I wear has elasticated waists I am comfortable. 

It does not mean that I have "let everything go" - it means that I know my comfort levels and have to balance them so I also look as good as I can.  Model I am not, especially at my age, but I still like to look good. 

Only comfort has to come first, but no way will I pay X over the regular price for the same item that another company sells as "especially designed for people with disabilities". 

It is like they are charging their customers for being disabled. 

Well ess oh dee it.  They will not get my custom.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 01 Mar 2015 09:10AM »
Thank you Monic.
I have no experience of how hard it is to dress a severely disabled person but looking at the tshirt guide  I realised what a difference the  design could make  >thumbsup<

huhn

« Reply #7 on: 01 Mar 2015 10:26AM »
I take a  sewing magazine, use bigger buttons or zip and change the angle of the button hols , change the length and finish.
but one makes me upset, when it is written gluten free the product doppels their price >steam< >steam< >steam< >steam< >steam< >steam< >steam<
 but my problem is the small print is to small  for me to read.

seegee

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: 01 Mar 2015 10:53AM »
There should be a difference in design of trousers/ skirts for wheelchair users - they are higher at the back waist so that when you are seated they don't ride down & leave the bottom of your back uncovered, but low at the front so the waistband doesn't end up round your ribs.  That probably doesn't mean using any more material; they charge more because it's a smaller market, similar to gluten-free bread. 

Rosie

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: 01 Mar 2015 11:13AM »
There should be a difference in design of trousers/ skirts for wheelchair users - they are higher at the back waist so that when you are seated they don't ride down & leave the bottom of your back uncovered, but low at the front so the waistband doesn't end up round your ribs.  That probably doesn't mean using any more material; they charge more because it's a smaller market, similar to gluten-free bread.

I totally agree with you there, which is why I find that most cheap "one-size-fits-all" skirts, trousers, leggings etc with elasticated waists actually do fit because they are as they say, "one'size-fits-all".  Maybe they are not a brilliant quality but they fit, are comfortable, and when worn with a long tunic look as good as something "specially designed for chair users" which cost a fortune.  And they are easily and cheaply replaceable if necessary.