Author Topic: Channel 5 Gov Propaganda?  (Read 3870 times)

SteveX

Channel 5 Gov Propaganda?
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
I've been to my mums today, you know easter and all that and I was watching TV for a while (I don't have a TV at home so I only see it when I go visit or she talks about it to me)

Now, I'm not sure if its my imagination but Channel 5 seems to be utterly obsessed with Benefits programmes.  My mum says they are forever on and I saw a heap of adverts today which had me thinking.

Why would one channel be so obsessed over this subject? They seem to show many different Benefits programmes (usually depicting the worst view that they can, encouraging the average joe in the street to think we are all alcoholic drug taking low life).  When will Channel 5 start showing "Tax dodger and proud", "Rich and to hell with the poor", "Tax evasion street" and the like?

I'd guess at... never!

Why?   Well here is my conclusion, you are free to agree or disagree but after much thought I have come to the conclusion that one channel wouldn't normally be so obsessed with one thing, I believe the government have a hand in this and are funding them or encouraging them to spin anti-benefit, anti-disabled propaganda to the average joe in the street, who laps it up like a starving dog and believes every word said.

I honestly believe in some way they have their hands in this..  thats what I think.

Member of POMMAS

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Channel 5 Gov Propaganda?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:05 PM »
Channel 5 is owned by the same person who ows the Daily Express, which may account for the vast number of 'benefit bashing' shows featured.

This satirical piece from the Daily Mash, may raise a smile:

*** Warning for language and other possibly offensive content ***

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/channel-5-unveils-documentary-about-middle-class-arseholes-2015040296998

CHANNEL 5 is making a documentary about feckless, irresponsible idiots who happen to be middle class.

Stupid But Somehow Affluent features the same appalling decision-making as Benefits Britain, but with less terrifying dentistry.

Producer Tom Logan said: “Viewers will meet Nat, an Oxford university student who’s been spunking his parents’ money on weed, coke and recording equipment he doesn’t know how to use.

“Then there’s Roger, a 55-year-old engineering company director whose family’s luxurious lifestyle is about to end because he hasn’t paid tax since 1995 and  instead spent the money on ‘classic’ cars and a Polish prostitute.

“And for comic relief there’s Charlotte, a scatty 40-something who’s never had a job because she’s too busy writing unpublishable children’s books and drinking wine during the day.

“Although she’s dependent on benefits, that’s not scrounging because she has tasteful framed prints in her flat and sounds like Mariella Frostrup.”

Logan denied the show’s participants were being manipulated, saying their only inducement was being told they could be famous and earn millions of pounds.

TV viewer Nikki Hollis: “I loved it when Sally the middle-aged housewife completely fucked her family’s life up by becoming a jihadist. I felt really superior.”

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »
Moved from 3 am board to Talk so more people can see this.

Now, I'm not sure if its my imagination but Channel 5 seems to be utterly obsessed with Benefits programmes.
And not only does  Ch 5 keep running these programmes, but it seems to pick characters who are likely to arouse 'anti-claimant' sentiments - with the result that everyone on benefits is 'given a bad name'.

I believe the government have a hand in this and are funding them or encouraging them to spin anti-benefit, anti-disabled propaganda to the average joe in the street, who laps it up like a starving dog and believes every word said.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct on this, especially as the election approaches...

NN, great bit of satire there  >biggrin<

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
Don't forget that David Cameron's only job out side of politics was as head of  corporate communications for Carlton TV ie a television company PR man.
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

JLR2

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 02:34:53 PM »
''I'd guess at... never!''

They're avoiding/evading the issue :-)

I have a wee conspiracy like thought in my head at the moment. I was watching/listening to some of the chat on BBC this morning and when they were discussing how the polls would develop as polling day approaches it dawned on me the reason behind the absence of IDS from our screens. As May 7th nears the Tories looking for a boost to their polling figures will unleash IDS on the country with the info they have so far refused to give to the electorate namely where the other 10 billion of cuts to welfare are going to hit. It is the lack of any appearances by IDS that has me suspecting this is on the cards.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:43:02 PM »
Channel 5 is owned by the same person who ows the Daily Express, which may account for the vast number of 'benefit bashing' shows featured.

Arrgh! Dirty Desmond sold C5 a couple of years ago. Sorry, forgot about that.  >footinmouth<

JLR2

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 02:51:24 PM »
Ah widnae be wurrying masell about that, he probably sold it tae another Tory supporting low life :-)

Minniehaha

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
...  as polling day approaches it dawned on me the reason behind the absence of IDS from our screens.

Nah, that'll be down to the fine sunny weather we're having ... he can't leave his coffin.

>lol<

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
...  as polling day approaches it dawned on me the reason behind the absence of IDS from our screens.

Nah, that'll be down to the fine sunny weather we're having ... he can't leave his coffin.

>lol<

>lol<

JLR2

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »
 >lol< >lol< >thumbsup<

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
And on your small screen right now as I type this... another gem from Ch 5, 'Benefits and Bypasses: Billion Pound Patients' - documentary about "how health problems caused by people who drink, smoke and eat to excess are costing the NHS a fortune".  Of course, 'the hard-working taxpayer' so loved by IDS and Co never abuses alcohol, fags or Big Macs - it's always those dreadful claimant scum  >doh<  >doh<

Get a grip, Channel 5.

SteveX

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 11:12:14 PM »
This is getting close to inciting hatred.   

Hate to touch on this but would such programmes on the black or gay be fine too?
(no offence intended to either, just trying badly to state a point)
Member of POMMAS

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:27:11 AM »
Various chunks of the media come close to it with Muslims as well.  Indeed, I think the rhetoric and behaviour towards Muslims is even more frightening than the rhetoric towards sick, disabled and unemployed people.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lostfamily

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »
What i would like to know having watch occasionally the benefit programs & one about people from the Eastern European countries claiming so one could build their house back home

Anyway this one & others where they are claiming but don't qualify what action against these not just the immigrants but even British who claim who have appeared on these programs & boast that they don't want to work & can be seen are milking the system

They come down hard on people who do needed especially with disabilities but we give it to those who shouldn't get it
This is not one type but people in general who don't i have always say there is Good & Bad in all walks of life be it the less well off or the rich it just if your rich they don't look so closely as they too busy looking at the less well off

JLR2

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
This is getting close to inciting hatred.   

Hate to touch on this but would such programmes on the black or gay be fine too?
(no offence intended to either, just trying badly to state a point)

And a good point it is.

Lostfamily, ''They come down hard on people who do need especially with disabilities but we give it to those who shouldn't get it''  And I would suggest many like Cameron who though not needing DLA for his disabled son claimed it because he could.