Author Topic: Do you believe in destiny?  (Read 2056 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Do you believe in destiny?
« on: November 15, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
As in, we all have a predestined time to die and therefore nothing would/could stop that?

lankou

• Charter Member
Re: Do you believe in destiny?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
(https://img1.etsystatic.com/022/0/5648529/il_340x270.478043435_pnjn.jpg)

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
That's way over my head lankou, sorry. I'm dim at the best of times but I'm well topped up with diazepam atm.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »
That's way over my head lankou, sorry. I'm dim at the best of times but I'm well topped up with diazepam atm.

'Carpe diem' is usually translated from the Latin as 'seize the day'. However, the more pedantic of Latin scholars may very well seize you by the throat if you suggest that translation. 'Carpe' translates literally as 'pluck', with particular reference to the picking of fruit, so a more accurate rendition is 'enjoy the day, pluck the day when it is ripe'. The extended version of the phrase 'carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero' translates as 'pluck the day, trusting as little as possible in the future'.

Dic Penderyn

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »
 "Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero," which roughly translates to "Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future."

whoops  >biggrin<
Be careful in what you wish for, God has a sense of humour

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 11:48:15 AM »
I'm muzzy headed but I'm unsure how that answers my question. Are you saying seize the day because there is a predetermined time when you will die and you just don't know when it is, or are you saying seize the day because there is no predetermined time of anyone's death at all?

I often thought what my destiny would be and I phoned out of hours twice last night and no one returned my calls. They're supposed to return your call within an hour of you calling them. I think it's all part of my destiny and nothing can change that.

Offworld

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »

>erm-thinking<

Their apparent incompetence is not necessarily a part of your destiny.

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 08:37:23 AM »
How are you this morning, Fiz? >hugs<

And in answer to you question, no, I don't subscribe to the idea of predestination. Although it's certain that everything must die at some point, I don't think that point is determined in advance.

JLR2

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
The only thing I feel predetermined about my future ending is that it will not be a natural ending. I feel it every time I drive and think about it each time I fly. I someways it might also impact on me when I'm feeling seriously stressed and start to, in something of a panic, look to ending my problems permanently.

Defying Gravity

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
I don't think I believe in destiny in the way you've described it. Mostly in a pragmatic way because I don't see how it could work for the time of death to be absolutely unchangeable unless absolutely everything else was also predestined in advance, and I don't believe life works like that. But also because I don't have a perspective on life that says, for example, some people are just destined to die young from suicide/cancer/accidents/whatever and so it's not worth trying to change anything. I don't  believe in that kind of universe or deity.

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 11:10:38 PM »
That makes sense

NeuralgicNeurotic

• Charter Member and Volunteer
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 12:27:51 AM »
Welcome back, Fiz. It's really great to see you. >bighugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 01:12:57 PM »
It's lovely to be back. My 18 days in hospital wasn't the most relaxing experience, I'm very glad to be home.

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »
Wotcha, Fiz  :-)   Agree that hospitals aren't the most peaceful places, hope you were treated well..

I have to admit, on the subject of destiny, I do think some people have a pre-disposition to certain serious conditions.  Take cancer for instance: we're constantly told if we don't eat/smoke/drink this or that, we will reduce the risk - but how can that be explained as an absolute 'given' when I think of two people in my parents' circle who died prematurely - one of a brain tumour, another of liver cancer.  Both had never smoked, only rarely drank alcohol, ate healthily and were not 'couch potatoes' or overweight.  Go figure  >erm<

Hurtyback

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 10:14:31 PM »
Welcome home Fiz  >hugs<