Author Topic: E.S.A  (Read 875 times)

Pickles69

E.S.A
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:33:17 PM »
Can anyone explain why my benefit has been reduced by £33.40 since I went from J.S.A to E.S.A.
I was in receipt of standard J.S.A plus £33.40 because I'm sick. Now that I've handed in proof that I'm sick (Sick note) the £33.40 has been withdrawn. >doh< any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: E.S.A
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »
Hi

While you were on income based jobseekers allowance a disability premium was payable because you have an award of DLA - probably at a guess low rate care.  when your on ESA the disability premium is not payable, you can only get the premium if your are on middle or high rate care and live alone and no one claims carers allowance for you - the premium is £62.10 and is called severe disability premium.  That was my instinct but I've gone and checked the premiums
Disability premium £32.25
Severe disability premium £61.85
carers premium £34.60
Enhanced disability premium £15.75

and can't see one for £33.40
Phone and ask why and they will tell you if the ESA is contribution based or income based - sometimes premiums are missed just because the main benefit is contribution based and not income based as that's when premiums are paid -if someone is due income based benefit.

Monic

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
Just a thought - have you checked to make sure this isn't two deductions added together or an increase of one sort and a deduction of another that, when one is deducted from the other, gives a net loss of that amount?

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 10:39:11 AM »
Now that I've handed in proof that I'm sick (Sick note) the £33.40 has been withdrawn.

Have you filled in a ESA50 form and been assessed for ESA yet? I am just wondering if you have lost the premium because you are now in the assessment phase for ESA.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/employment-and-support-allowance-overview

3. The work capability assessment
An ‘assessment phase’ will normally apply if you are making a new application for ESA. The assessment phase should last for 13 weeks; although it may be extended if there are delays. Such delays are common, and can last for several months. Until the assessment phase has been completed, you are paid ESA at a reduced rate, the ‘basic allowance’ (whether you get contributory ESA or income-related ESA).

The Benefits and Work website  does say this http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1355-assessment-phase-employment-and-support-allowance

You get paid the same amount you would receive if you were on jobseeker’s allowance, including a lower rate if you are under 25.

I agree with Monic you need to give the DWP a ring and find out why the amount has been taken off. It could be that some computer bod clicked on the wrong key.

Pickles69

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
Thank you to all who responded, I assume that since I have only recently made my claim, I am on the assessment period. Seems very unfair that on the one hand they agree I'm entitled to the disability premium, then when I supply proof of sickness they decide I'm not entitled. Obviously meant to discourage claimants.
Don't suppose there's any point contacting them. They have no doubt dotted the I's and crossed all the T's. HoHum!

KizzyKazaer

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »
Hi Pickles, welcome to OuchToo and I'm sorry you're having aggro with your benefits  >doh<

I know it's a tedious chore, but would also recommend you giving the DWP a bell, in case whoever inputted your claim omitted something important, like SunshineMeadows suggested above.  In the benefit processing 'factories' we have nowadays, operator error is sadly more likely  >erm<

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »
Since the amount your down is not one of the premiums I think you really need to phone them, it could be many things and when you phone you ask them why you have your payments reduced when the only change is that you are now unwell, get them to send the decision in writing and if the person who takes your call ask for it to be escalated and request a 3 hour call back from someone who knows the regulations.  when you get through to a person they will give their name and the call centre, if they say it quickly just ask them to repeat it as you like to know who you are talking to - one of my notes for today say "spoke to David in Essex" that way I know who handled the call.

I know its a pain but a phone call is the only way to make sure your getting the right money
 >hugs<
Monic