Harmless (?!) Brown Envelopes

• 16 Replies

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

Harmless (?!) Brown Envelopes

• on: 12 Mar 2018 12:02PM
Dear DWP, a change in your current practices is long overdue.  When you send out letters saying "We're giving you a cold weather payment" or "This is next year's rate of PIP", please could you stamp "Don't panic - no forms to fill in!" on the outside of the envelope, particularly when you send out more than one such letter on the same day.

Failure to make this or similar changes could result in my experiencing (1) an increased risk of a heart attack or stroke;  (2) a need to make phone calls to a diminishing number of exhausted friends; (3) an urge to post loads more rubbish all over internet forums; (4) a gibbering breakdown involving my running round wailing unintelligibly.

>yikes<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member

Re: Harmless (?!) Brown Envelopes

• on: 12 Mar 2018 12:36PM
My preference would be:- This is not a threatening letter.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 12 Mar 2018 01:14PM
Your phrase is a definite improvement on my suggestion.

Will there be an increase in ESA this year or is it frozen?  As I type this, I feel hacked off that the government has succeeded in making people like me actually hope not to get an increase just so as not to get another letter.

>angry<

An MP in parliament said recently that she'd been told by a claimant that being on benefits is like being in an abusive relationship with the DWP that you can't leave because you're financially dependent.  What a pity I can't get the DWP prosecuted for 'coercive control'.  We get told how many husbands control, abuse, and kill their wives each year, but it's as nothing to what the DWP does to people.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 12 Mar 2018 03:16PM
They're putting up the premiums on ESA.  What have they done to me that my heart sank at that? 

I typed something about this in Mustardland (Archers forum) and then deleted before I posted. I don't even feel confident that in a forum where most posters are pretty much ok, the few that are unpleasant won't find it an excuse to go on the attack.

This is what gives the lie to the endless government rhetoric about wanting to get sick & disabled people back into work.  If they did, they wouldn't destroy us and demonise us.

Thank heavens for places like Ouchtoo where I feel safe to post both serious and lighthearted posts about this sort of thing.  (But not to post my messages in brown envelopes lest they devastate you all.)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 12 Mar 2018 03:47PM
I received my increase in PIP allowance from April 9th letter today and even though it was obviously a single piece of paper it still terrified me. Perhaps the non threatening letters could arrive in a pale yellow envelope with a multicoloured rainbow across it. I'm fairly sure if all non threatening letters arrived that way we'd be okay.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 12 Mar 2018 05:02PM
Perhaps the non threatening letters could arrive in a pale yellow envelope with a multicoloured rainbow across it.

>lol< nice idea, but as you can probably guess, the DWP don't 'pack' their own post.  It's all done by .. an outsourced private company (surprise, surprise)  Well, it was when I worked there, and the DWP were moving towards more centralised processes even then, as far back as 2005 (maybe earlier!)

For now, I'd settle for the letters just being accurate in their content:  had the Cold Weather Payment notification this morning, but - on the second page where qualifying criteria are listed, the one that actually applies to me just... isn't there  >doh<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 12 Mar 2018 05:03PM
...thread moved to Talk as it's a general observation on DWP practices rather than a specific personal query about a benefit  :-)

SteveX

• on: 12 Mar 2018 08:14PM
Dear DWP, a change in your current practices is long overdue.  When you send out letters saying "We're giving you a cold weather payment" or "This is next year's rate of PIP", please could you stamp "Don't panic - no forms to fill in!" on the outside of the envelope

YES! Please do this, it would save so much stress and anxiety.   (it's not going to happen folks, they don't care tbh)
Member of POMMAS

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 12 Mar 2018 08:18PM
Dear DWP

Further to my recent PIP application, I now realise I forgot to mention that I also need assistance with posting in the appropriate forum on message boards.  May I also have points for that?  I think it may come under the heading of needing help to engage socially.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 12 Mar 2018 08:32PM
Dear DWP

Further to my recent PIP application, I now realise I forgot to mention that I also need assistance with posting in the appropriate forum on message boards.  May I also have points for that?  I think it may come under the heading of needing help to engage socially.
  >lol< >lol< >lol< >lol< >hugs< If only

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 12 Mar 2018 09:20PM
Sunny  >lol<  I can give you a few taps with the  >flyswatter< if it will strengthen your case for PIP  ;-)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 12 Mar 2018 11:22PM
 :-(

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 13 Mar 2018 06:35AM
Dear DWP

>biggergrin<

Dark_Divinity

• Charter Member and Volunteer

• on: 13 Mar 2018 08:22PM
Anyone else think it takes so long to travel through the postal system then through your front door?

Last time I checked my mail was this Saturday and I have only just received a DWP Letter about Weather Payments. The letter was dated 2 March.

Are the DWP forgetting to post stuff on time?

Are Royal Mail infested with goblins that like to temporarily hide the mail?

Someone playing silly buggers with my mail?

>erm<
July 2017- Autism Spectrum Condition.

F2M. Pre-Op.