Just a reminder...

• 9 Replies

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Just a reminder...

• on: 24 Mar 2018 09:22AM
...thanks to Huhn!   Clocks go forward tonight one hour as British Summer Time begins (not that it feels particularly like it - blimey, we're still waiting for spring, aren't we?!)

This clock change is easier to adjust to, I find, than the BST ending in October when we 'gain' an hour  >confused<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

Re: Just a reminder...

• on: 24 Mar 2018 11:45AM
I find the BST -> GMT change easier.

I try not to grumble about the spring clock change but usually find it difficult to adjust.  However, my sleep patterns are a mess these days anyway.  Well, I'm sleeping at night and waking in the day and not going back to bed in the day very often, but my times aren't as regular as they should be, and my getting to sleep and waking up are a mess. 

So this year I'm going to use the dreaded GMT -> BST change as an opportunity to set a new pattern of sleep.  Fresh beginnings!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 24 Mar 2018 03:23PM
Someone mentioned this to me Thursday or it would have completely passed me by. But I think on Sunday I would notice that my tablet and phone are in agreement but they've fallen out with my watch. But good reminder to someone who might need to be fully aware first thing on Sunday!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 24 Mar 2018 04:56PM
Good luck with the sleep, Sunny...  it takes a while for the body clock to catch up for most of us, I suspect!

Fiz, I have an (old-fashioned) paper calendar that I consult for such things - knowing that BST starts somewhere towards the end of March - and also a central heating timer clock that conveniently changes itself (it's now the only clock in the house that does this, my video recorder used to do the same when it was still actually working!)

As I'm usually away overnight on a Saturday at Mum and Dad's, I tend to go round manually altering all my timepieces before I leave - but there's usually one that I miss  >doh<

edit to add:  forgot my computer clock also does itself.  But not my landline phone - or does it?  Strewth, I am getting discombobulated already...
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2018 05:11PM by KizzyKazaer »

SteveX

• on: 24 Mar 2018 06:01PM
I'm glad the clocks go forward tonight as I'm not planning to going to bed until around 8am or so,  so being in bed an hour earlier is all good. haha
Member of POMMAS

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 25 Mar 2018 02:46AM
This isn't working.  I went to bed early and eventually got up for a while because I couldn't sleep.  Oh well, maybe it means that tomorrow (Sunday) I'll be so tired I'll get to sleep fast.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 25 Mar 2018 08:30AM
Do you prefer to live a nocturnal life Steve?

I have a previous friends that I lost touch with, plus an acquaintance here who live nocturnal lives only sharing the majority of UK citizens in being awake during the evening hours.

I barely slept despite a lot of medication, I think I'm under too much stress at the moment and need to just accept it. Although 2 completely sleepless nights has in the past, pushed me into crisis.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 25 Mar 2018 01:32PM
If anyone ever pours scorn on you if you say that just a night or two without sleep can tip you over the edge, ask them why sleep deprivation's used as a form of torture/'enhanced interrogation technique' etc.  Oh, and then maybe point out that there's a link between shift work and various types of long-term ill health.

Incidentally, if any of you here do have problems with sleep, one problem I had in the past was controlling a 25 hour clock.  One think I used to do if it slipped badly was to simply let it slide, an hour a day, until bedtime was morning, stay up even later until nearly lunchtime, sleep in the afternoon, get up in the evening, and go to bed late evening, clock re-set.  I don't say that that will work for everyone.  However, it does tie in with research that shows that most (but not all) shift workers have better health/wellbeing if their shifts rotate later not earlier.   It's horses for courses, though.  I wonder whether 'larks' rather than 'owls' find their bedtimes get earlier and would want to rotate the other way?

(Me rambling on about my own sleep...)

I've been thinking about my personal times.  All other things being equal, my ideal bedtime in the past was about 2am, but I lose weight best if I get up a bit after 8am.  I wonder how much is environmental?

It's taken me a while to realise that the sleeping problems I've got now are very different from ones in the past and it's  begun to dawn on me that it's age.  No, seriously, people's sleep patterns often change as they grow older.  It may be that I might do better to try granny-napping in the afternoon or early evening, and settling for a little less sleep at night.

Last year, trying to find ways of getting to sleep, I started doing word puzzles and then thought maybe they were keeping me awake.  When I tried reading instead (and reading is something I've done back to childhood, but I do less of now because of eyesight and concentration and change in how I feel about the sort of books and magazines I used to read) I stayed awake just as long before turning the light out.  However, I think when I do that, I sleep better, so it's obviously something to do with putting my brain into the wrong phase or something.

I find what gets me to sleep best is a couple of books of short anecdotes and jokes about the army.  I used to like poetry, but not so much these days.  I used to like late-night radio but can't find a station I currently like.  Maybe my old cassette player or my CD player?

As I type this, I realise one of the biggest factors - no cat.  I think not having a cat any more has had a massive impact on my sleep patterns.  The return of my night vision has, as well.  If you're used to having effectively no night-vision, a room with even a little light seems very bright, but also different colours stand out. 

Anyway, any other ideas welcome.  I'm particularly interested in off-the-wall ones, idiosyncratic ones etc.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 26 Mar 2018 05:29AM
Being a self medicator  >blush<  I've bought some 10mg sustained release melatonin tablets and I take 2 at night. I definitely get more sleep than I did, unless I'm in an unwell phase but this morning I woke shortly after midnight again. I'm happier to lie there awake than I used to be too. I can wait until 4 or 5am before going downstairs to make myself a mug of green tea. Then I browse the net and catch up with programmes on iplayer now that I have a TV licence.

I really appreciate my lie in days when nothing is due to happen that morning or even that day. I love my bed. I do tend to text the sams if ever I am awake at night and I'm feeling fed up about it, they're always there and between 1am and 5am they reply straight away so it's a proper text conversation. I really do appreciate the sams, they are a useful distraction that can stop me ruminating.

Someone I knew in the past never slept longer than 3 hours a night in the whole of her memory. I never understood how she could function so well as a full time teacher, home to make dinner, do any laundry and ironing, bath and bed the children then sit marking her pupils work into the small hours, all with a smile on her face. People like that are born to make others feel inadequate  >erm<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 26 Mar 2018 11:28AM
IIRC Margaret Thatcher was famous for being a 5 hour sleeper.  I'm definitely an 8 hour person.

Last night, I didn't do any puzzles and I read for a little while.  I slept far better.   Indeed, I caught up on some extra sleep.  But also  yesterday I popped round to see a couple who'd got an anniversary and some others were there.  It wasn't a noisy party or anything, just friends dropping in to say congratulations etc.  There was no background music and the lighting wasn't too bad, so I enjoyed it, although it always annoys me when some people talk too quietly or cover their mouths but I plucked up courage to ignore the ones that did that and talk with others.  I even managed not to bite off the heads of the three people who said I should use a walking stick!

So that's a reminder that I do need to try to meet with people.