111 information sharing

• 8 Replies

Fiz

• Charter Member

111 information sharing

• on: 13 Mar 2018 12:24PM
A couple of days ago I telephoned 111 for advice on a health matter (as an aside, the advice was useless and downright dangerous) and for reasons I won't disclose, I'd rather my GP isn't made aware of my call to 111 and the reason for the call

I have Googled madly and can't find an answer to whether 111 records the information about your call and passes that on to your GP or does 111 just keep a record of the call for themselves. Does anyone know the answer?

Google did lead me to a pdf which I'm almost certain contains the answer as the question is in the heading but my mobile won't open pdf's so I can't access the info. The website the pdf is on is www.worcslmc.co.uk as an upload if anyone out there has pdf ability.

Ta muchly.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

Re: 111 information sharing

• on: 13 Mar 2018 02:36PM
I just took a quick look, but it's the LMC for the area.  In colloquil terms, that's the local doctors' union branch.

I'll take a quick dekko on other sites, but I can't promise I'll be any more successful than you.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 13 Mar 2018 02:46PM
I've been rummaging around online.  Although 111 is commissioned by the relevant CCGs (clinical commissioning groups), it's effectively an England-wide service, so the guidelines should be pretty standard because they'll all be based on the same legal principles.  I've looked at various pdfs of guidelines in different areas and they do indeed seem to all say the same thing, namely that they can and do pass on information to other health professionals involved in your care if they deem it necessary.

Having said that, I suspect there'd be a wide difference in the likelihood of it depending on what you called about, because they all seem swamped, which is a deterrent to taking time to pass things on, but they have a reputation for over-referral of emergencies, which would suggest they're jumpy about 'serious' stuff.   

So my guess is that if it was mundane they wouldn't bother but if they thought it was something where there might be some comeback on them if they didn't report it, they would.  Sorry if that's only vague.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 14 Mar 2018 08:23AM
Sounds discretionary then and given that my question wasn't a serious thing and the extremely laid back call handler, I'm doubting an info has been passed on. Thank you sunny.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 15 Mar 2018 06:14PM
I found out the answer today. My GP knew.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 15 Mar 2018 07:23PM
Doesn't surprise me.  Once the 111 operator learnt that you were concerned you might have  contracted rabies after the doctor's receptionist bit your head off, they would have felt constrained to contact the council's environmental department to take steps to ensure the safety of other patients, which would have resulted in your doctor discovering that his patients were at risk.   >devil<

(I hope whatever it actually was isn't going to make you feel uncomfortable with your GP.)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Mar 2018 12:37PM
My GP is pretty good, the first thing she said to me was do I need more dressings as she could see I'd not had a great week and I said I didn't need any more. Then I said something about her being aware and she said there was a note on the system and then asked me which medications I needed this week and how many exactly do I have left of each which was the purpose of the call. So really it was barely mentioned, she just wanted to know if I needed more dressings prescribed. I don't usually tell people in real life and rarely do online, I tend to keep quiet about it so I'd rather she hadn't known but it's not the end of the world. I doubt I will use 111 for advice again, they were hopeless.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Mar 2018 01:07PM
I'm glad she's not making a big issue of it. 

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 17 Mar 2018 01:10PM
Yes me too.