Heatwaves, good or bad for you?

• 93 Replies

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member

Re: Heatwaves, good or bad for you?

• on: 08 Jul 2018 10:45PM
I've been sweating like crazy, but I'm able to get out more. I went into a supermarket the other day and it was so nice and cool. I could have wept with joy.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 09 Jul 2018 05:04PM
Know that feeling, Norrin - I suspect a good few shoppers are lurking more than usual near the chilled food sections!

The perspiring side of it is driving me nuts, though  >thumbsdown<  Not being clean body-wise is a trigger for me, so the heat has certainly ... presented its challenges.  I'm just about staying 'nice to know', anyway  :-)  But - this might be Too Much Information - my poor old underarms are sore from the more frequent shaving, washing, applying and re-applying deodorant  >erm<  Please let there be a break in this hot spell soon  >x-fingers<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 09 Jul 2018 07:11PM
Has it been hot? You should have all come to Nantes with me! One whole 24 hours of down pouring rain, cloudy spells and sunny spells other days. Yesterday was the nicest day of the lot with white puffs of clouds not appearing until 3pm. But I lay on a lovely sun lounger by the pool. They've inserted a roman steps style ladder with sturdy side rails so I could get in and out of the pool okay. I'd worried because in the photos both ladders look like normal vertical ladders and I wouldn't have managed that. So every 30 minutes and I was in the refreshing pool which was the perfect temperature, no chill as you get in or when you put your shoulders under but so refreshing you never got cold if you didn't move around so I could just float on my back for ages. The night before last in our twin bedded annexe I felt I wouldn't sleep due to mugginess so switched on the air con on for the night. Once my friend had discovered the air con she wanted it on whenever we were there and it costs 3p per minute to run and so I'd only decided to use it only when necessary as the charity had given us the accommodation and use of the park for free.  But it did make the nights easier. So I'm home, warm and muggy but all clothes washed. I've no idea what's what here in the UK as I had no data on my phone so a quick glance at Facebook is telling me there's speculation May will go. Is Wimbledon on? I'm just thinking of them in this heat.

I hope it stays hot only because I've no tasks to be done and I have a bedside fan. I want to preserve my tan more than my usual week.

In Nantes our temperature was 3-4% cooler than yours but we had the pool to make it all seemed heavenly. There was an amazing water slide which looked amazing but my back was really painful all week so I daren't risk it, one jolt and I'd scream and it wouldn't be with excitement! 

SteveX

• on: 09 Jul 2018 08:12PM
My inside room temp over the last 3 days has been 28-31.  I feel like I'm cooking slowly, can't even have a fan on as my cat runs and hides from it.   

is there any end of this in sight?  even 1-2 days at a lower temp would give me a break from this right now.  its so hot not only am I struggling to sleep but I can barely do my daily jobs as the heat is soaking what little energy I have.  I see people on TV loving this heat and I'm thinking, my god how can you enjoy it, it's torture.

Member of POMMAS

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 09 Jul 2018 08:27PM
I suspect that if you left the fan on Steve, that cat would get used to it

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 09 Jul 2018 09:15PM
Am inclined to agree there, Fiz.  My Cindy hated the Hoover, but that wasn't going to stop me using it, she just had to put up with it!  You can't pander to them too much, Steve.  Especially at a time like this..

Sounds like you had a great break, Fiz, thanks for making us all jealous  >biggrin<

SteveX

• on: 09 Jul 2018 09:55PM
When I first bought it (the fan) I had it on all day and she hid all day, same the following day, hid all day.   as much as I want to cool down, I don't want her to suffer.  love her <3
Member of POMMAS

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 10 Jul 2018 12:35PM
Maybe put it on but nowhere near you so the cat gets used to the sound then gradually move it closer and closer each day. Is it a quiet fan? Mine is virtually silent and very small and there are no blades going round on my type. This is the one I've got https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airforce-Mini-Tower-Silver-Effect/dp/B001QB3U3Q

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 10 Jul 2018 01:56PM
One possible problem is that the fan emits a whine outside the human audible range but is disturbing to the cat. Even 'silent' fans can be troublesome. Usually fans that shift a high volume of air at low speed are better, Unfortunately most are quite expensive.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 11 Jul 2018 10:13AM
Yes my fan has adjustable speeds and I only use the lowest setting. Certainly my cats never minded it at all though I realise every cat is different.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Jul 2018 06:56AM
Are people still finding it hot? I haven't been hot at all for ages and I'm surprised to see people still talking about a heatwave. Recently the days down here have been cloudy so maybe with the sun not getting through it's much cooler in the south than the places where people are finding the temperature too high if the sun is visible there. I'd like some blue sky and sunshine really.  >Sun<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 19 Jul 2018 07:15AM
Not hot here either in my part of the South West at the moment, but it seems like we get a few days of cooler weather and then things get a little too warm again - mostly over the weekends.  Again we have a forecast of up to 27C between this coming Friday and Monday:  not looking forward to that after the respite... It's a mere 22C in my home at the moment, if it could stay like that I'd be quite happy!  With the arrival of lower temperatures I have had more energy and felt more like Doing Jobs Around the Place, so caught up on a few chores yesterday while I could...

We desperately need rain, though.  Everything looks so parched, no wonder there are comparisons with the drought of 1976 (who was around to remember that?)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Jul 2018 09:19AM
Me. I lived in a seaside town in East Sussex then and 3 people died of heatstroke on the beach that summer  :-(. And the swarms of ladybirds were astonishing I'd never seen more than 2 or 3 at once before so to see hundreds was weird and they were in flight not sat on leaves.

I loved that summer, my mother was a nurse at a boarding school for severely asthmatic boys and after school my sister and I would walk there with our swimming stuff and our Mum would unlock the swimming pool hut and let us in and we'd swim and dive for teaspoons in the deep end for ages. It seemed like hours. Teenage boys would peep through holes in the hut wall to ogles girls in swimsuits which was funny.

I love the heat and the sun. I'd like to live in Australia or Florida.

oldtone27

• Charter Member

• on: 19 Jul 2018 09:37AM
Whilst it has been a little cooler, or less hot, the past few days it remains stubbornly dry. Apparently Poole Harbour has had less that 2% of its normal rainfall in the last few weeks at 1mm.

I think that was the 5 minutes of drips we had a couple of Wednesdays ago. Sum total of rain I have seen recently. Didn't even dampen the ground.

Unlike Fiz I don't like it hot. At least not above 25C.

I was around in 1976 and remember it being hot and dry but nothing very special. I was commuting at the time and do recall the trains being delayed due to bent rails and such.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 19 Jul 2018 08:06PM
The Isle of Lewis had been enjoying the heatwave and the One show decided to visit.  So typically it started raining. Typical.

I have a day off tomorrow & rain is forecast  >steam<