Scope chairman refused PIP

• 6 Replies

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

Scope chairman refused PIP

• on: 06 Oct 2018 09:20AM
Caught a news article this morning saying that Andrew McDonald chairman of disability charity Scope is calling for reform of pip after his claim was refused.  He is a former civil servant who has Parkinsonís and incurable prostrate cancer.   
One one hand I find it ironic that his reaction is to call for a root and branch reform of the system now but on the other itís good that it happened to a higher profile person as it gets press attention.

I looked for a link on the bbc as it was their radio news I heard it on but canít find the link yet.

oldtone27

• Charter Member

Re: Scope chairman refused PIP

• on: 06 Oct 2018 09:28AM
There was an interview with him on the Radio4 Today programme. You may be able to find that on i-player.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 07 Oct 2018 04:15PM
While I'm sorry he's going through this, the higher profile being noticed and reported by media will hopefully help the ignorant realise the stupidity of the assessments and results that are inconsistent with conditions that just don't make sense medically. Shame it seems it's only the Guardian writing about it as their readers are more aware of the than most other news sources. 

I still have my severely depressed friend waiting for a tribunal date for her son's PIP appeal having supported her brain damaged husband for the 15 months it took to get to Tribunal with his appeal and won that from nothing for either to enhanced for both. It's like she's had no respite from one long arduous PIP battle before stepping into the next and she's not coping with it. She's needing someone with her to keep her safe and this situation should never happen.

In the article he implies he's fortunate in that he can afford the loss of PIP while he appeals but he's also fortunate that his mental health is good enough to cope with the appeal process.

JLR2

• on: 07 Oct 2018 05:34PM
I would love to see one, just one, journalist with the merest hint of a backbone to ask McVey (or any other government minister from the DWP)  if the government is determined to emulate the US's disability denial system?  If the government's response was to simply say, 'Of course not'  my next question would be to ask, 'Then why is it the government's whole disability assessment program virtually mirrors the US's system?

Tony_Demoncy

• Silver Member
  • Wait - what?!

• on: 04 Dec 2018 08:34PM
https://welfareweekly.com/demolition-of-uk-welfare-state-planned-with-corporate-america

Unum, Previously Unum Provident, the 2nd worst american health insurer who were called a rogue company by the American government have been advisors to the government for donkeys years and trainers for the DWP and for ATOS/Capita/Maximus.
I Came I Saw I Fell Over (Tony)

What...yes but...but..alright. Boo tells me that I'm raving again. I did not notice a difference, but I shall heed his word, nonetheless.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Dec 2018 09:59AM
That is an interesting article but it does feel a bit dated in parts. For example it mentions the introduction of the WCA assessment in 2008 and it being based on a Biosocial model of assessing disability but it does not mention improvements made since then. There are threads of information and experience posted on Ouch Too in 2011 about people who were getting put in the WRAG getting put in the SG after reassessment.

Things are still awful for a lot of people because the Government went on to add new laws like the one that reduces the weekly payment amount for any new claim were the claimant gets put in the WRAG.

WCA Work Capability Assessment

WRAG Work Related Group

SG Support Group