Government's new suicide minister

• 11 Replies

JLR2

Government's new suicide minister

• on: 10 Oct 2018 07:34AM
I was somewhat surprised as I watched the BBC Breakfast presenter's interview with Matt Hancock MP as at no point in the interview did she make mention of the numbers of disabled claimants taking their own lives. I can't help but feel had she done so it would have silenced the minister as he would not have been able to say another word due to his utter embarrassment.

Thank you for adding the Warning Triangle I an adding some extra information to this opening post for those people who might need immediate help :-) Sunshine.

If you, or someone you know, is struggling, there are a number of charities here to help.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45804225

The Samaritans are open 24 hours a day. Call 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org
The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) offers support to men. Call 0800 58 58 58 between 17:00 and 00:00 everyday or visit their webchat page here
Papyrus helps people under 35. Call 0800 068 41 41 - Monday to Friday 10am to 10pm, weekends 2pm to 10pm, bank holidays 2pm to 5pm - or text 07786 209697
Childline is available for children and young people under 19. Call 0800 1111 - the number will not show up on your bill
The Silver Line helps older people. Call 0800 4 70 80 90
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2018 11:44AM by Sunshine Meadows »

lankou

• Charter Member

Re: Government's new suicide minister

• on: 10 Oct 2018 07:55AM
Logical step there already is a minister for causing suicide, Esther McVey.

JLR2

• on: 10 Oct 2018 09:07AM
True Lankou, so sad but true.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
 I initially thought this thread was going to be about the people who have died after DWP assessments however a quick Google showed that the Governemnt has actually appointed someone 'to the new role will help tackle the stigma surrounding suicide.'.

The article talks about the stigma of suicide and I can't help thinking about how, stress at work, poverty and poor housing are being neglected as drivers causing poor mental health and suicidal thoughts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45804225

A minister for suicide prevention has been appointed in England by the prime minister as the government hosts the first ever global mental health summit.

Theresa May said the appointment of Health Minister Jackie Doyle-Price to the new role will help tackle the stigma surrounding suicide.

While suicide rates are falling, 4,500 people take their own lives every year.

The appointment comes as ministers and officials from more than 50 countries assemble in London for the summit.

Wednesday's meeting - hosted by Health Secretary Matt Hancock and attended by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - coincides with World Mental Health Day.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2018 11:52AM by Sunshine Meadows »

Offworld

• Charter Member

• on: 10 Oct 2018 11:57AM
Aye, the political establishment will ... no doubt with deluges of fake "concern" ... seek to prevent (what some are driven to regard as) escape but do damn-all to sort the circumstances -- largely created by that same establishment -- which make people want to escape.

>sarcasm<  Just another potential business/profit opportunity for their corporate cronies?

SteveX

• on: 10 Oct 2018 08:16PM
They are extracting the urine with that one. 
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 10 Oct 2018 09:06PM
Is there a connection between the government appointing a minister for suicide prevention and the continued roll out of universal credit?

I also see Gordon Brown calling for a poll tax type response to UC in Scotland.  Until the press takes up/picks up the fact that UC discriminates against disabled adults, parents of disabled children and single parents then nowt will change.

JLR2

• on: 11 Oct 2018 06:59AM
I'd have posted this yesterday but due to need to use a pile of pain killing medication (naproxen) because of the pain in my head and neck I couldn't do anything but go to my kip earlier than usual.

Ian Blackford MP (SNP)  the Scottish Leader at Westminster raised the issue of WCA's with May and as you might expect she avoided answering the question asked. One of the things that really gets to me is the way many alleged journalists fail to see the obvious. I suppose it's the old story, these journalists are made well aware of the threat to their employment should they push too hard for anything resembling a meaningful answer to a serious question from an ' in government ' MP.

lankou

• Charter Member

• on: 11 Oct 2018 08:12AM
Best comment I have heard about this is, it is like curing malaria with the plague.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 11 Oct 2018 10:04AM
The article I read on the BBC on the role of this new Minister appointed to tackle suicide said that as part of that role they would be examining the possible links between suicide and benefits or housing. So at least they'll be looking at that. It didn't mention whether the results would ever be made public however.

JLR2

• on: 11 Oct 2018 07:25PM
''So at least they'll be looking at that''

If they give as much attention as the BBC's Victoria Live gave this earlier today (-15mins)  then it will not be much more than a cursory glance.

I was absolutely raging at the Victoria Live program this morning as from the outset at 9am the program was trumpeting their intention to discus Universal credit from 10am, result?  Rabbiting about all sorts of guff before eventually at 10.31 they finally made mention of Universal credit and then only for 14 minutes. I emailed the program 7 times and ended up telling them I'd never again watch it again.

Tony_Demoncy

• Silver Member
  • Wait - what?!

• on: 04 Dec 2018 08:27PM
The appointment of a Suicide Minister was actually the result of an online petition.
I Came I Saw I Fell Over (Tony)

What...yes but...but..alright. Boo tells me that I'm raving again. I did not notice a difference, but I shall heed his word, nonetheless.