Blue Badge Reminders?

• 25 Replies

SashaQ

• Charter Member

Blue Badge Reminders?

• on: 02 Dec 2018 11:50AM
It's a bit late now, but I wonder if there is some way of getting reminders about when to renew a blue badge.  Every time I reapply (every three years) the system is different...

The first online renewal I did went through superquick so I 'lost' a month of time (my old badge expired a month after the new one started).  The next time I did an online renewal I didn't reapply too early (so as not to lose time) and it went through in two weeks so I was without a badge for a week. 

This time I have just been informed it will be six weeks so I could be without a badge for a month  >doh<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Blue Badge Reminders?

• on: 02 Dec 2018 01:01PM
>doh< :-(  

In the area i live in we are supposed to get reminders. click here  

If you already have a Blue Badge you will automatically receive a renewal notice. If you've changed your address since your current badge was issued please Call Derbyshire.
I think it varies council to council. I am glad you started the thread because I will check the date on my Blue Badge next time I am in the car.

SashaQ

• Charter Member

• on: 04 Dec 2018 07:39PM
Thanks Sunshine - that is good to know that some councils are helpful  >thumbsup<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 08 Dec 2018 09:38AM
The main reason people forget is probably be that once we get a Disabled parking badge it goes in the car and we never really look at it. EEEkkk no maybe that is just people like me who don't set the little clock thingum.

A while back we got a parking ticket because the car was in the disabled parking bay outside the house and a piece of paper had slid across part of the parking badge so it could not be completely read. Back in the day before privatisation the parking officer that checks the street regularly would have known we have a valid parking badge and not had to give us a ticket. Well I like to believe that would have happened.

Big Muff

• Silver Member

• on: 05 Jan 2019 07:29PM
many years ago in the days of Orange badges I used to park in the same spot in a car park mon-fri for work as I started reasonably early. One day I had just got out of the car and a parking warden (PW) said
PW " oh i'm glad I've caught you"
Me "why?"
PW "your badge needs renewing"
Me ( checks badge in a tax disc wallet on windscreen) "how can you tell it bleched out "
PW "because its round"
Me "so?"
PW "they have been square for 5 years and they only last 3"
Me " ah i'll get it renewed"
PW " good lad"

somehow don't think it would happen today

SashaQ

• Charter Member

• on: 29 Apr 2019 05:34PM
Yeah, it is interesting how The Powers That Be react to things like that - I would have thought that they may give you a ticket if they weren't able to check the badge fully, but if you proved that it genuinely was valid on the day the ticket was issued, you shouldn't be charged...

That was very reasonable of the parking warden, Big Muff >thumbsup<

The good news was that the council were able to process my badge within two weeks after all, so there was no problem - phew. 

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 16 May 2019 11:25PM
No blue badge reminders here and renewing seems to have got worse. They are not content with seeing the original PIP decision letter dated 2017 but want to see a copy of

“PIP annual statement with the breakdown of points not a certificate of entitlement . If you confirm to DWP it is the current breakdown of scores you require they will send that to you.”

The certificate of entitlement is what the DWP sent me when I asked for an updated version of the original letter.

The local authority mobility team insist that a combination of the original letter, plus the points breakdown showing she gets 12 points for getting around and therefore gets enhanced mobility plus a certificate dated May 2019 saying she is currently getting PIP for an extended period is not enough.

I think they are being unreasonable but will have to phone the DWP again to try and het this annual statement which I have never heard of before. She does get a letter about the slight increase in payments but that does not include a copy of the original points breakdown. Has anyone got any idea of what they are referring to?

I have to do this again in August for my son. Why is everything made so difficult?
« Last Edit: 16 May 2019 11:28PM by gorbut »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 17 May 2019 10:55AM
I wonder if they are asking for this https://www.disabledmotoring.org/motoring/road-tax-exemption I found it in the answers when I googled Certificate of Entitlement to DLA. Every County Council can have a somewhat different process for claiming a Blue Badge but needing the crtificate that was traditionally used to get free car tax sounds over the top. I mean do they even still give those out now that Tax discs are no longer used in cars.

Sorry you are having such a hassle with this  >hugs<

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/782597/ins216-how-to-apply-for-free-disabled-tax.pdf

When to get a replacement Certificate of Entitlement to DLA, PIP or AFIP A replacement certificate is needed when: • the registered keeper or their vehicle has changed • the certificate has been lost, stolen or damaged. To get a replacement certificate contact: DLA (GB customers only) By phone 0800 121 4600 By text phone 0800 121 4523 (speech or hearing difficulties) PIP (GB customers only) and AFIP (GB and NI customers) By phone 0800 121 4433 By text phone 0800 121 4493 (speech or hearing difficulties) DLA (NI customers only) By phone 0800 587 0912 By text phone 028 9031 1092 (speech or hearing difficulties) PIP (NI customers only) By phone 0800 507 0932 By text phone 0800 587 0937

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 17 May 2019 11:08AM
Here is a link to what looks to me like a more typical type of form.

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/media-library/documents/adult-social-services/blue-badge-form-and-guidance-notes.pdf

I sent my renewal form in last week along with a proof of id, a copy of my DLA uprating letter and a passport sized photograph so I am worried I might have not given sufficient proof in terms of what my County Council might now need. What does certified even mean? I would check what the instructions that came with the form said but the form itself was printed on the back side of that piece of paper  >doh< saves on trees thought which is good.

SashaQ

• Charter Member

• on: 17 May 2019 05:45PM
Yikes, that does sound unreasonable, gorbut...

Why do they think the points awarded would have changed since the assessment at which the points were awarded?!

The Annual Statement does sound like the letter that confirms entitlement to Enhanced Rate and what the payment will be - that is strange that they haven't accepted that as confirmation of entitlement to Enhanced Rate...

My only suggestion would be you might like to contact your local Councillor to ask why what you have supplied isn't enough for your council when it is enough for others.

Good luck >goodluck<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 19 May 2019 08:12AM
I've been made aware of this over the last week and the discrepancies between councils. Some will issue a BB automatically automatically to people on enhance mobility, some automatically on standard PIP and others want to do an assessment themselves for anything less than enhanced mobility.

It does seem strange for there to be such differences between councils.

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 20 May 2019 01:58PM
I got the letter that confirms she gets enhanced mobility and could apply for road tax exemption but the council says in their email
“the document we require site of to ensure continuing eligibility is the PIP annual statement with the breakdown of points not a certificate of entitlement . If you confirm to DWP it is the current breakdown of scores you require they will send that to you .l

Unfortunately the DWP don’t know what my council are talking about. But say they will send something else that might help.

According to govt pages about blue badges people on enhanced mobility PIP are supposed to get a blue badge in the same way as people on higher rate mobility DLA ie automatically.

We will be following this up with the council on behalf of other people through the various campaigning groups we belong to. But we are waiting until we get the blue badge first as we need it now really and don’t want to give them any excuse to delay longer.

Monic1511

• on: 20 May 2019 07:39PM
The guidance to the councils is that the person has to be in receipt of enhanced mobility, it doesn't matter if that's 8 points for mental health issues and 4 for mobility, speak to your councillors and ask why the council is being obstructive.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 26 May 2019 07:25PM
Totally agree with monic!

What an abstructrive council.

gorbut

• Charter Member
  • Gold Member

• on: 29 May 2019 12:14PM
The DWP have been very helpful( makes a change  :-) ) and have sent a letter stating she is getting enhanced PIP and sent a copy of the points. I have uploaded it to the council website so we will see whether they finally have what they want.
Then I have to do this all again for my son whose blue badge runs out in August.

After this we intend to take this up with the backing of the community groups we belong to to improve the councils system.

Not that that will directly affect us though as we will be moving to another county in the next year or two and will have to get new ones.