How to help a distant friend in need?

• 8 Replies

SteveX

How to help a distant friend in need?

• on: 03 Dec 2018 09:25PM
Hi all,
I only have two what I'd call 'friends' and both live miles away (one in Germany and one 80+ miles away)
it is the second friend that I am very worried about, he is also disabled and today I recieved a very upsetting email from him that said following a DWP medical 2 weeks ago, his benefit has now been totally cut THREE WEEKS FROM XMAS!

(Seriously I cannot put into words here my thoughts for those heartless scumbags) and the guy is very distraught and in a bad way, as he's a recluse and cannot even leave the house to even go the citizens advice or heck even a foodbank.

So I am wondering how I could possibly help him in some way, yes I have given him this site url (many times) but he's not one for forums (quite frankly he only emails me because we met some 23-24 years ago at a computer club and got friendly)

So I'm asking you my friends, what could I do to help him in this desperate time?
Member of POMMAS

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Repost using the the correct account.

>bighugs< I think you should remind him that you have had to appeal decisions and you won. If he is the sort of person who will read books suggest he gets this or you buy it for him if you can click here. I have not bought one yet but I have used their handbook and also PIP guide both are good.

night for now.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
We don't seem to have the night owls posting like we used to but maybe more people will reply today.

Given that your friend is a 'recluse' it is important that you are a friend first and an advisor second. After you let him know about your appeals online help sites like Scope, Turn2Us and RightsNet you might have to be around as he does things a different way, whatever his way is until there comes around to asking you for help.

SteveX

Thank you for that and yes I will remind him (again) of my past experiences.
and thanks for the book link!
Member of POMMAS

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I hope your friend stays in touch with you and lets you help him >heart<

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Ok Steve

As usual your friend has had an ESA WCA (work capability assessment) got less than 15 points and is therefore fit for work.  He needs to compose a mandatory reconsideration.  This is just a letter saying I do not agree with the decision because of my mental health.  That gets sent to the DWP office that sent the original decision letter.

While he waits on the DWP making the decision he will need to contact his local authority especially if he rents a property and is liable for councils tax.  He should send them a change of circumstances letter saying that his has been found fit for work and his esa has stopped and declaring if he has any other income.  if he provides them with proof of nil income then his housing benefit should continue.

Next he has to consider what he will do for income - if he has PIP/DLA and is in a full service universal credit area he would be best (in my opinion)NOT to claim universal credit, that's because once on UC you cannot return to legacy benefits.   If he doesn't live in a full service are he could claim jobseekers allowance but he would need to say he if fit for some work at least according to dwp.

As for how he proves he meets the ESA criteria - he'll need to get the help of his doctors to back up why he is not getting better.

right now you need to send this to him in an email if hes too scared to join this crew.

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
You are a good friend Steve.  This chap might be a recluse but he still needs to eat.  He needs to go to his GP and tell his story.  The GP should recommend him to a food bank and write a letter about his health.  He might even suggest that your friend goes for counselling.  But in the end it is up to your friend to do something about it himself.  Noone else can do that for him.  He got to his DWP interview so he can get out and about when needed, after all.

SteveX

Thanks again.   I did tell him about the mandatory reconsideration and he said he is working on doing that, I'm also trying to work out how to send him a gift/food parcel in the next few days. I'm not well off but if I can help a little then I will.

Thank you Monic, I will forward the information you listed.

Member of POMMAS

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
To keep down the postage costs would it make sense to by a supermarket gift voucher for your friend.