Edinburgh Universities Show Mental Health Cost of WCA Tests

• 2 Replies

Tony_Demoncy

• Silver Member
  • Wait - what?!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/fit-to-work-wca-tests-mental-health-dwp-work-capability-assessment-benefits-esa-pip-a7623686.html

The Government’s fit-to-work tests for access to disability benefits are causing permanent damage to some claimants’ mental health, from which they are not recovering, a new study has warned.

The research, conducted by academics at Edinburgh’s Heriot-Watt and Napier universities, found that the Work Capability Assessment experience “for many, caused a deterioration in people’s mental health which individuals did not recover from”.
I Came I Saw I Fell Over (Tony)

What...yes but...but..alright. Boo tells me that I'm raving again. I did not notice a difference, but I shall heed his word, nonetheless.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
> moved from News to get more attention here in Talk.

“for many, caused a deterioration in people’s mental health which individuals did not recover from”.

The sample used in making the report is small however I feel the more headline bringing people to read articles like that one the better. Yes we can see there hass been improvements and for example people like me who have chronic life long conditions are no longer getting re assessed every three years but the DWP is still failing too many people.

click here

the Government then spent a further £17m fighting cases in the courts that were not settled at the initial appeal stage, bringing the total appeals process cost to £39m last year. 
In the same period the Government lost 62 per cent of the tribunal cases in which it was attempting to sanction a claimant’s ESA – which supports people when impairments prevent them working.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
The sample used in making the report is small

Yes, I thought that too - only 30 people, and I think it would need more than that number to really swing some weight.  Whatever, it made for rather disheartening reading..

..however I feel the more headline bringing people to read articles like that one the better

Absolutely, and from what I've heard on the news recently, the NHS is supposed to start giving mental illness equal parity to physical.  We can only hope that the DWP will follow suit (and I'm still wondering what counts as a 'chronic lifelong condition' for benefit assessment purposes)