Disability at the BBC

• 5 Replies

On the edge

• Gold Member

Disability at the BBC

• on: 05 Dec 2018 12:00PM
It is some time since I posted here last as my blog takes all my time.  But I was looking at the BBC's 'disability News' and found it rather remote and patronising still.  Also I posted a comment to them regarding the BBC's erstwhile bad attitude to us, and why OUCH2 existed, they responded by removing the post, following it up by removing it from their facebook site too, does this still suggest the BBC is sanitising and censoring disabled input and creating its own grouping of 'luvvie' disabled commentators who clearly are not sharing the same views or aims that we here do!  As the mods know they zeroed SEE HEAR feedback as well preventing the deaf responding to content too.  I have an autistic child and wanted to respond to some BBC podcasts, they blocked that too because I questioned the accuracy of some statements, based on personal experience.  Is it not time OUCH2 demanded reinstatement at the BBC?  You cannot counter their present set up and disability promotion aims unless you are there.  There is so much real news here the BBC does not want to air at all. Dad's Army said it best, 'they don't like it 'up 'em!'

JLR2

Re: Disability at the BBC

• on: 05 Dec 2018 01:22PM
The BBC is but the propaganda wing of British Government (of whichever colour is in power). As a wee aside, I noticed on today's PMQ's that though Mr Cash MP referring to the A General's legal advice which was supposed to be released 'in full' today noted that what had been released only referred to the situation regarding Northern Ireland yet not a mention of this further disregard for Parliament by May's government by Andrew Neil, not that I'm surprised given Neil's apparent favouring of the Tory party.

Spindrift

• on: 05 Dec 2018 04:28PM
While I hear what you are both saying it is hard to get worked up about what the BBC are doing when I rarely go over there. It does bug me that their website gets an audience of people who can be ready made users of some of the BBC's disability content while Ouch Too is going to have to advertise to let people know it is back.

One thing about Channel 4 is that they created the Last Leg which is better than a lot of stuff the BBC put out.

That said I did enjoy The Cry and think it could be used to help anyone who is being controlled and manipulated by someone close better understand what is going on. A topic for a different thread.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Dec 2018 05:25PM
I don't visit the BBC website for anything other than news or weather these days, however:

...I posted a comment to them regarding the BBC's erstwhile bad attitude to us, and why OUCH2 existed, they responded by removing the post, following it up by removing it from their facebook site too

- that is rather disappointing all this time after they closed their message board and effectively washed their hands of us back in 2011! I'd like to see your post though..

On the edge

• Gold Member

• on: 05 Dec 2018 07:06PM
It would be unverifiable now they have removed all trace.  SEE HEAR is dead in the water, it was on its last legs years ago, it exists only as a sop to deaf culture who use the equality act to prevent the BBC removing it altogether.  Fair play lol the BBC has re-sited this dodo a few times to the graveyard shifts etc discourage them but the BSL people got backing for an online version taking funds away from other deaf areas. ....  Maybe Ouch2 needs to learn how they do it, we could run the BBC then!  If it was on viewer basis alone it would have folded 15 years ago after we complained it was BSL oriented and blocking the others with hearing loss from participation, and from inclusion, about the only 'disability' program that managed to circumvent the equality act at the BBC on 'cultural' grounds and insisting they aren't disabled at all.  Didn't stop them claiming the funds for it. BBC Disability is a travesty of the real thing in its present state.  They appear semi-professional awareness raisers with a vested interest after Kudos and a job.  No one is in it to promote rights much.  Ouch2 members were too strident for them so we are out. We were killing the golden calf of dependency.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 06 Dec 2018 10:06AM
I was not around BBC Ouch much and only happened to be around when the BBC announced it was closing the message board. I was there because I had written a Overwhelmed and Devastated, after the Welfare Reform Bill was announced. I was in the Work Related Activity Group and it felt like everything was falling apart, building Ouch Too on Aimoo and then creating this website allowed me to do something to make a difference. A lot of people fought harder than I did and I don't think the lack of BBC support made much difference. For a time the Spartacus Campaigners made sure people were heard.

It is weird though because the more the government changes went through the harder it has been for the disability rights campaigners to get any traction with the general public. My sense if that there are people from that campaign and others who are still using there ability to analyse and write, to push the people in power to listen. There are charities like Mind and Scope who continue to work for disabled people

Between 2016 to summer 2018 I had personal things and failing health so did not visit Ouch Too as much. It was like it has been a clock slowly winding down, the less people post the less they participate the less they visit. The site has been redesigned and rebooted to see if we can start something new click here

I feel like I am rambling here so before I go I want to say, Yes the past does matter and what the BBC does matters too (we will continue to talk about it), but we can't be stuck in it. There are some big topics that have not been looked at by the mainstream media, so big I need help getting my head around them and so I am hoping that more people come home to Ouch Too  >dove<