Naproxen shortage?

• 3 Replies

JLR2

Naproxen shortage?

• on: 07 Dec 2018 09:29AM
As yet we have not left the EU and I find myself being told by my chemist that they cannot meet my doctor's prescription for naproxen. When I was collecting my prescription the chemist explained he couldn't supply all the naproxen prescribed for me and asked if there might be another medication I could use?  I replied to this by explaining that I have found naproxen to be the only medication on my repeat prescription that deals with the utterly debilitating headaches I get which begin in the back of my head, where it meets my neck, and are of such a level I cannot even try to sleep off. The pain I experience is like being hit slowly on the back of my head by a hammer as often as my heart beats. The pain goes right through me.

Such was the chemist concern because of this supply problem he phoned my doctor whilst I was there. If this is how things are before we've left the EU how bad will the be when we have?

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Naproxen shortage?

• on: 07 Dec 2018 07:40PM
Yes, various people around the country report that there is a shortage of naproxen.  People are being put on substitute medication.  I hope that they can find something that helps you JLR2.

JLR2

• on: 08 Dec 2018 07:02AM
I'm hoping I am able to get enough naproxen as none of the previous pain killers I've been on come close to the effectiveness of it.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 08 Dec 2018 09:25AM
I did some Googling and found this which might better explain the situation click here. It sounds like it has more to do with austerity and how the NHS is being run.

The article was published in 2014

Because of the shortages, the Department of Health has introduced a system of rationing, which is supposed to mean the right number of drugs are held in stock. However, the system often means particular parts of the country run low on stocks, because they are not allowed to have more than their quota of medicines.

I wonder if the people setting the quotas are taking into account things like in areas that once had heavy industries like mining there will be a greater need for medicines for things like arthritis.