Dry shampoo

• 5 Replies

Fiz

• Charter Member

Dry shampoo

• on: 07 Dec 2018 10:40AM
I've been having increasing difficulty a) lifting legs into the bath as that causes stabbing neuropathic pain b) the non flat surface of the bath causes me anxiety about falling despite the grab rail. I can't always be holding the grab rail when I'm dealing with shampoo bottles etc. and c) standing for more than a minute or two is painful. I can't use a bath board as I've a shower screen then lies on the inside edge of the outside of the bath. So despite the guilt as I've already used a DFG to have a shower fitted over the bath in 2011 as I am unable to use the bath, I've started the process by phoning and being placed on the waiting list for an OT assessment to have the bath removed and the floor made into a wet room floor. I shouldn't need any screen or curtain and a rubber footed chair would mean I can shower and wash my hair without pain. At the moment I'm using baby wipes to wash myself and my hair is disgusting because I'm not showering unless I have a really good low pain patch of days.

I've thought about dry shampoo but not knowing much about it how does it clean your hair? Or does it somehow soak up grease so your hair doesn't look greasy? I've been reticent to buy any because what I want is clean hair and not dirty hair that doesn't look greasy.

I chose a shower over bath option in 2011 because at the time dd was living here and she needs to soak in stuff for her eczema, even then the OT was saying a wet room would be better for me but I just couldn't at the time because of dd's needs.

Any experiences or knowledge of dry shampoo welcome! Because I'm sure I will have a long wait for both an OT assessment and then the wet room work.

JLR2

Re: Dry shampoo

• on: 07 Dec 2018 10:46AM
Wish I could help Fiz but I've not heard of dry shampoo before. Re the wetroom, I know many councils are being pushed in their budget spending but I was lucky with my council as they were fairly quick to visit for an assessment and organising a wetroom for me with a wall fixed chair which folds flat to the wall when not in use. I hope your local council will not take too long in carrying out an assessment, maybe, if you have not already done it Fiz, a letter from your GP might see things getting done that little bit quicker.

SashaQ

• Charter Member

• on: 07 Dec 2018 05:36PM
I've used dry shampoo before - I think it works by absorbing the grease, but then you brush it out so it takes the dirt with it 

I found it made my hair very static, but it certainly did the job of cleaning my hair for a while when I wasn't in a position to be able to wash my hair with water and wet shampoo >thumbsup<

JLR2

• on: 08 Dec 2018 07:03AM
To be honest for me now I doubt these days I've enough hair on top to require shampoo >biggrin<

ally

• Diamond member

• on: 08 Dec 2018 07:57AM
No rinse shampoo is good.  You use what looks like a shower cap.  Massage your hair, then, dry.  Have a look on the Internet.  Boots do a similar one.  I use bastite dry shampoo.  Spray the roots of your hair, then, brush out.  It works instead of a shampoo.  It's good for a quick lift, or, removing grease. However, I only use it once, before a shampoo.  The reason being. It can leave a white powder residue  on your hair, and, make it feel dry.  I've used both after all the spinal and hip interventions I've had.  We removed our bath, and, replaced it with a walk in shower,  a couple of years ago, as I couldn't get into the bath.  I tried a over bath swivel seat.  However, I didn't feel safe, or, independent.  My husband had to be on hand, to switch the shower on, and, help me on and off the seat. I'd recommend a walk in shower for anyone unable to use a bath safely.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 09 Dec 2018 10:00AM
Yet again ally, someone with the same problems I have! I will think about the options if my hair gets to the stage I'm not wanting to be seen.

The day after I applied to the county council an OT called me and talked through my difficulties and from what she says I will be given more than I'd wanted. Perching stool for the kitchen because standing to wash up is so painful. She seemed to prefer a drop down seat than a chair to put in the shower but I said I'd feel safer in a chair with solid fixed arms that I could push up with. She said the drop down seats do have arms too but I still think I am going to feel safer in a chair.

The day after that a letter came. There were 2 forms to complete which made me panic which again I feel daft about as they're simple questions. The forms have to go in different directions though. The permission to share form goes to the county council and I've only given them permission to contact my GP and no one else. And the other form is a basic finance form, a more detailed form will be completed letter when officially applying for a DFG but it seems my means tested benefit is a fast tract point to be eligible to apply for a DFG. I couldn't face them until yesterday and rey want proof I receive one of a list of benefits. This form needs to be completed to my local authority who pay part of my rent with housing benefit so you would think the LA could easily discover if I'm in receipt of HB as it's them that have awarded it to me!

I live in chaos and have no clue where such a letter might be as I have several stacks of paperwork that need either filing or throwing so it could take me a while to be able to send this form off as I now have to locate a letter. Nothing is ever easy.

Oh and I'm already panicking about having a man in my house and it's months or years before any work is done.