PIP review pending...

• 34 Replies

paradox

• Silver Member

PIP review pending...

• on: 11 Dec 2018 08:10PM
Well I got a 2 year award in January of this year but the 2 years went from 4th December 2017 and said they will contact me again after 4th December 2018. So realistically its an 11 month award as I will have to do it all again any day now.
Anyone know how soon after this date (4th Dec 2018) they will contact? I am dreading this process again so soon. I was made very ill with it all right up until January when I got my award. I went from an indefinite DLA award to this and twice in a year is just too much.

Fiz

• Charter Member

Re: PIP review pending...

• on: 12 Dec 2018 08:36AM
If you obtained your award at a tribunal they may well leave you alone or a lot longer unless you have a condition that may have improved. I obtained my ESA award in 2013 at Tribunal and haven't seen or heard anything about a new assessment since.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 12 Dec 2018 09:48AM
Paradox,

I am sorry about the stress you are under and can see how upsetting the situation of waiting can be. I remember something about other people getting a Dec date in their award and it having something to do with the DWP routinely contacting people then and not peoples awards. I will see if I can find it  >hugs<

Monic1511

• on: 12 Dec 2018 07:38PM
Hi
there is no set time scale and the DWP seem to rewrite the rules to suit themselves.
You are meant to get your renewal form 6 months before the current award ends and I believe that's why your stressed out. 

What I would be doing is getting all the evidence together, looking at the criteria and where possible getting up to date letters.  DWP assume that every one gets better and that medical conditions must be continually treated and always improve.  It always reminds me of that saying don't assume as all there is between me and an ass is U.

if you haven't heard by June 2019 and your award is due to end in December 2019 then I would contact them and ask for an up to date award statement, not to report a change but tell them the council needs an up to date award for their records. 

paradox

• Silver Member

• on: 12 Dec 2018 11:29PM
Fiz, No it was an award after my f2f interview.

Thank you Sunshine Meadows

Thanks Monic1511 I have some things together already and will make sure I get everything ready in advance. Yes they do see to vary things. Some seem to get it a year in advance some 6 months.
All mine says is they will contact me after 4th December 2018 which is a year before my award runs out and 11 months after I got notice of the award.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 Dec 2018 07:39AM
Paradox,

I could not find the information I was looking for so I looked for more about PIP. I agree with Monic's advice and also want to add the folowing.

This is advice for people in England sorry I am not sure where you are.

How much PIP you can get and for how long click here

The DWP should write to you 14 weeks (roughly 3 months) before your award is due to end, reminding you to make a new claim. It can take the DWP a long time to process a new claim so itís a good idea to make your new claim before your old one ends. You can do this up to 6 months before your old one ends. This will also help prevent any break in your PIP payments while you wait for a decision on your new claim

Your PIP could be reviewed by the DWP at any time, though itís most likely to happen about a year before your award is due to end
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2018 07:42AM by Sunshine Meadows »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 13 Dec 2018 08:01AM
Something else I read yesterday was that DLA was all about the conditions a person has and PIP is about what people can and can't do. This made me think if a person is good at managing their disability or as Monic was saying on another thread if a person sees it as part of life eg getting old then they are going to have a harder time claiming PIP.

I have not been called to move over from DLA to PIP yet but when I do I am going to think about how my able bodied sister would do something and how I do something. For example to make a cup of coffee my sister fills the kettle, gets milk out of the  fridge and makes a coffee. Whereas for part of the day I can't lift the kettle to the sink so I use bottled water, I have to put some of that cold water into my travel mug so the coffee is not too hot to drink, I usually spill some sugar and coffee granules because I shake but wont be able to clean up the mess, it is difficult to get the travel mug lid on but once it is on I can lay the drink on its side and wheelchair myself back to the sitting room. I almost forgot I would need to mention I dont have milk because it adds an extra difficulty I cant do without. My wheelchair has power assist electric wheels. Luckily for me I live with Mr Sunshine and he makes almost all of my drinks however if just said that it would not be telling the the DWP why or how my disability is affecting me. 

(When I was a kid a family friend used to call me The Lady of Leisure because I did not get up always jump up and make a drink or whatever society and my family thought I should do back then - sorry old wounds for me to deal with )

Monic1511

• on: 13 Dec 2018 09:27AM
When filling out a form I look at the points and decide which is appropriate to that person and then try to explain.  For example my client with a learning disability can heat food in a microwave but canít read the settings so everything gets cooked for multiples of 3 minutes, so I explain the difficulties he has with food preparation, doesnít understand why you peel or chop food and how to cook it, Iím really looking for the 4 points criteria but will probably only get the 2 points for can cook with a microwave, I donít think he can as he canít prepare a meal that needs 4 minutes.
This is why I suggest getting the criteria as itís different to DLA in several ways.

paradox

• Silver Member

• on: 14 Dec 2018 10:50PM
Hi well its happened!
My PIP review has come through! 11 months and 3 weeks before my award is up and 11 months exactly since i was told of my award which was for 2 years but dated 4th December 2017 (I got the award through the post on 15th January 2018) So yes they do contact a year before the award is finished. So I am now for the second time in a year going through this process again. I got High rate mobility and high rate daily living last time when they transferred me over from DLA indefinite award. From that to this, its a disgrace and affecting my health badly.
So I got it today 14th December and I must have the form and suporting evidence in by the 4th January. Taking account Christmas and New year, it leaves me no time at all to get this all done. I have just had enough. This time last year I was doing a double PIP and ESA review at the same time...and now this!

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 15 Dec 2018 09:04AM
So yes they do contact a year before the award is finished.

Sneaky barstewards.  Now I am also worried as my PIP award letter said 'we will contact you some time after January 2019' (my award ends proper in December 2019)...

Sorry you have to deal with this at the worst possible time of year for such things - I went through it all myself in the DLA-to-PIP transfer before Christmas two years ago, so I understand how maddening it is, can't they just leave us alone until nearer the actual end date?  >doh< 

And yes, it is a disgrace and seems to me like a thinly-veiled attempt by the DWP to try and find more people they can 'nil award' - saving money on the disability benefits bill again with no regard to the immense stress their practices subject us to  >erm<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 15 Dec 2018 09:10AM
..an afterthought:  as you receive enhanced rate for both PIP components, I would have thought it unlikely you'd go from that to nothing!

paradox

• Silver Member

• on: 15 Dec 2018 09:17AM
KizzyKazaer They are truly evil! Imagine sending that out in the Christmas period, taking a week of my 4 weeks to get it all done just to get it to me and effectively giving me about 10 days to get it done taking into account Royal Mail non posting days over Xmas and New year and of course the delays that happen this time of year too. If my form gets there late they stop my money but they take no account of anything. Seeing as its nearly a year until my award end, why not send it in the new year! There can only be bad reasons for it and that's to make it as hard as possible. I have to get this off before Xmas because I cannot risk it getting caught up during the holiday period. Its just not fair!

paradox

• Silver Member

• on: 15 Dec 2018 09:23AM
KizzyKazaer Yes logically you would think its a review just to check if my condition has changed....reality is its a look to see if they can cut or stop my award. I would accept if this thing was honest and done to actually look at needs. We all know its purely to cut benefits and its a random game of who you get for an assessment and luck.
I should keep my award, but I cannot assume that. To give me what is basically a one year award in reality, from and indefinite DLA award and when I got high points on both mobility and daily living I think is a joke.
Its malicious and done with no care at all, just accountancy at work!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 15 Dec 2018 09:48AM
Horrible news and I am sorry I was wrong. 

The Government and DWP have been made to change different aspects of Personal Independence Payment the most recent being the one related to mental health and the mobility component. Thing is the you are right ever time we claim or have a review or award can be cut or stopped altogether. 

Going from Indefinite DLA to the equivalent PIP award but the award being so short makes no sense.
>bighugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 15 Dec 2018 03:27PM
Paradox, I'm really sorry that you are having to go through is this again so soon. And what a miserable time of year for it. I hope that you have everything you need to complete the form filling be that help, energy, concentration, literally whatever.  >x-fingers<