How does disability affect the way we move and do things

• 7 Replies

JLR2

Over recent days I've been raising my bed and now have it 60cm/2ft off the floor. I use a wee step I put together to help me climb onto the bed at bedtime. The point of my doing this bed raising was to give me some more storage room in my wee hoose and to this end I've managed now to fit under my bed 2 decent drawer units with between them 7 drawers and a couple of 2 drawer units. Apart from the drawer storage I've a pile of other clutter under the bed.

It is not though the storage aspect of things that has surprised me but what I've realised about how I get out of bed. I had never given this a thought before but given the increased height of the bed now, including its thick mattress, I have found that for some reason my brain/subconscious is wary of my turning to my right to get out of bed. It is something like the way when riding a bicycle I had more problems leaning to my right when on a right hand bend or corner.

Turning to my left is something it would appear I do without hesitation or thought. My noticing all this came about when having finished the bed raising I went on to try changing which end I put the pillows with the result I was leaving the bed to my right rather than my left. Having tried this for a few nights I found it more and more difficult to relax enough to get much by the way of sleep. I guess my system was just too wary of the drop to the floor (about 2.5ft-3ft) but when I changed the end where the pillows were I did not have anywhere near the same anxiety and managed a better sleep.

Strange though how wee things like this make themselves known to us, I had never before given any thought to how minds can work in this way. My right eye is the dominant one but I'm left handed?  For whatever reason I feel more aware of things to my left than to my right, perhaps my mind is compensating for what I cannot see easily to my left and so my mind keeps a sharper eye (no pun intended >biggrin< ) of such things.

Has anyone else ever become aware of how or if they tend to prefer one side of things to the other?

edit - I gave the thread a new title so people can more easily see what it is about - Sunshine  :-)
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2018 09:32AM by Sunshine Meadows »

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: I've only realised this now

• on: 31 Dec 2018 09:29AM
I know what you mean I find moving to the left much more difficult than moving to the right. Able bodied people probably have a preference as to which side they get out of bed but I don't many risk injury if they have to change it. As you know I have CP which mostly affects my legs, the interesting thing about it is that my right leg has a lot more spasms and its more twisty but it is also stronger and more able to take my weight. This means that I can't 'walk' leading with my left leg. There are allsorts of other examples like I cant sleep on a soft mattress because I can't roll over to sleep on my other side when the pain in my hip is too great. Part of the reason my hips and knees hurt so much is because I have to have a firm mattress because I use it to pull myself up and into bed.

Now I am a bit worried about this elevated bed of yours, are you going to keep it like that?

JLR2

I noticed some years back how the soles of my left shoe(s) were wearing out far quicker than my right and it made me realise just how much my left leg was carrying my weight. It is my left knee that is prone to subluxation (dislocating) but my right ankle that was wrecked in the car crash in '89. What I made of this was that the subconscious brain was still protecting my ankle even though I always used either my walking stick and later the elbow crutches.

I'm guessing it is something similar that sees me being more comfortable turning to my left when leaving bed in the morning or for that matter allowing me to eventually get to sleep when on the bed as when I find myself in a bed where the wall is to the left of the bed I usually without really thinking about it put the pillows to the end that sees me turning to my left to get up. It has only been through my raising the bed that has caused me to notice this.

I've just measured the actual height of the top of the mattress to the floor and it is 3' 4'' the drop from the bed to the small step I made is 24'' with the step being about 14''s high. The top of the step is covered with a hard wearing canvas with a little layer of cushioning underneath it. The step is a foot wide x 2.5 feet long it also sits on 2'' castors of which two have brakes on them.

Honestly Sunshine if you knew the lack of storage space I have at home you would understand why I've raised the bed, I can even roll the wee coffee table/drawing board holder I put together under the bed without a problem and the drawer units I've managed to get under the bed are really handy for me now. All this came about because I had so much by way of old bits of wood/timber lying about the house and with the spare castors I had made things possible.

My bed was built, to my design, for me by a neighbour who has his own joinery business in the village and included 4 inch thick legs on it. On to these I attached strong metal post holders and then more post holders bolted to them in reverse so I could add additional lengths of 4 inch post with the original castors I had on the bed so I could move the bed about the bedroom for cleaning under it.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2018 05:45PM by JLR2 »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
My goodness! You clean under the bed!!

lankou

• Charter Member
My goodness! You clean under the bed!!

Quite,

JLR2

I do, usually about one a month or so I get the hoover under it as I have a daft worry about wandering spiders and the like finding their way onto the bed itself. I have the various drawer units and storage boards (off cuts of plywood on castors) so I can draw them out when needed. With the added height I can now get my hoover in so much easier.

bulekingfisher

• Charter Member
Hello JLH2

About how a disability affects how you do thing's as I have lost most of the co-ordination in my left limb's one blessing is

JLR2

BKF, it looks like there's been a wee hitch in your message as it appears to have ended prematurely. A strange impact for me re-ankle injury is the way that I have to be very careful if I've been kneeling on the floor (for example when chopping kindlers for the fire) with my right foot pointing toes first towards the floor and my left foot flat on the floor, when I move to stand up again I can put absolutely no weight through my right foot, the pain is just way too much.