My garden

• 7 Replies

Fiz

• Charter Member

My garden

• on: 11 Jan 2019 12:16PM
I've decided I might bore you all silly with garden talk. When I arrived here 9 years ago this July my back garden was an unusable jungle with shards of glass on the ground near the back door. From time to time I've paid people a fair amount of money to create a patio and clear the patio. Unfortunately any clearance has been a waste of time as the weeds just escalate ever higher and ever thicker and whoever laid the patio did so abysmally so I have trifid brambles snaking up from between slabs breaking up the slabs and last summer there wasn't the space to put a chair out to sit on so basically I've not had a garden to use since being here. My step-mother died and unexpectedly left my sister and I some money. I've paid a builder to redo just over half the patio just using solid concrete as it's much cheaper and trifids are unlikely to break through. He's also going to concrete the path down the side of the house to eliminate current weeds and inform me how to treat the tiny shingle in the tiny galley around the house to prevent weeds. He's double the size of my foster parents retirement bungalow to an excellent standard so I feel he totally knows what he's doing. He's also going to fit an outside tap in for me. Then a really good large landscaping company will do all the preparation to the rest of the garden and then lay artificial grass all over the rest of the garden. He said many people like timber edging but wood rots and weeds can appear around the wood so it would need regular maintenance. For me who's criteria is a maintenance free garden he's going to concrete underneath the edges to all of the artificial grass which will prevent any weeds coming from anywhere. It sounds total heaven to me and I'm so excited about having a garden for the first time ever. All workmanship and materials are guaranteed for ten years so I know I'm not being diddled. The landscaping company have agreed for me to have their deposit which I've paid. Then do the work and complete it. I then give them the remainder of my inheritance and they're allowing me to pay monthly by standing order as the cost is more than my inheritance. It's so kind of them to allow me to do that. Had they wanted to be paid in full when the work is done, I wouldn't have a garden for this summer but as it is, I will.

Tight belts for me though until it's paid off. A friend and I are already booked to go to a spa for 2 nights in February which is already paid for as they had a 50% off deal a while back. And I'm going to my daughter's graduation also in February. A pert from those two things I think it's fair to say no social life at all until the garden bill is paid for in full. But I am just so excited. No doubt I will keep you suitably bored .. er I mean updated!

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: My garden

• on: 11 Jan 2019 07:04PM
It is going to be wonderful  >bighugs<

I lived without a usable garden for about 16 years and it was horrible. When I was 33 I finally got to live in a house with a garden and even allotment at the back, and it was like I was a kid again. It changed my life because I was able to show the me that I had been all along. I think the work you are getting done is going to make a real difference.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 12 Jan 2019 07:17AM
I feel like a kid again inside. Excitement. I honestly can't remember ever feeling excited about anything since childhood and Christmas stocking that's probably why! I have a garden chair, it'll need a good wash, but it supports my back well and I can imagine throwing a toy for Tizzie and her gaining exercise and attention too. And to think it'll be ready before the summer.

My sister thinks I'm totally nuts spending the only money I will ever have on a garden that I don't own. She said that what happens when my back gets so bad I can't manage the stairs and I said then I can have a stair lift. An older man lived here before me (hence the garden being unattended for years) and he had a stair lift which they removed before I moved in. I don't care that I don't own the house. I will be able to enjoy my maintenance free garden for the rest of my days. I will love watching my family in it, using it. I am so excited.

I put a message in the family WhatsApp group saying for this year only I will just be buying the 2 grandchild present but otherwise won't be doing presents because I'm paying off the garden as soon as possible. Not one person has responded which I find strange, I'd have reassured the writer that I understood but everyone is different and it's one year only without birthday presents for them. I only ever receive one, my daughter buys me one, I never get anything from anyone else. I feel guilty far too easily and the fact that I'm struggling not to feel guilty about no presents to people for one year only I know (I think) is silly. I just wish one of them would reply. I'm already thinking I won't be able to have flowers in pots on the patio because I can't bend. I'll work something out once it's done. 

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 12 Jan 2019 12:30PM
Fiz,

When I initially read your opening post I did think about the problems you have sometimes had with affording your house eg heating and bedroom tax, but its your house as long as the rent gets paid so in many ways you should be doing what you want to do. Moreover it is not just a want to its a need to so your quality of life improves. As to relatives not commenting on you Watts App message maybe they do feel a bit judgemental or maybe they dont, either way they will benefit from when your mental health improves as you use your outdoor space.

Mr Sunshine hurt his shoulder and so he has not been able to keep up with grarden maintenance. the garden looked like it was on its way to being a poop farm. We got it sorted yesterday and I feel much more like I can go out when my face pain is not screaming at me. 

With the artificial grass what happens if Tizzie poops on it can it be hosed? How is the bloke doing the work dealing with drainage?

JLR2

• on: 13 Jan 2019 09:15AM
Hi Fiz, I was wondering if your place is being privately rented or through the council as I would have thought a council would provide garden maintenance? Maybe I was just lucky in that following a visit from social services Highland Council provided free grass cutting for me till I bought the house under right to buy.

Yesterday I had a tree surgeon visit and cut down the tree (huge) in my back garden so apart now from allowing light into my neighbour's garden in the summer for the first time in many years I have a lot of work to do cutting the branches down for kindlers and stacking the logs for firewood. One of the benefits for me in having an open fire :-)  I will wait though till the weather here is a bit drier before venturing near the garden.

lankou

• Charter Member

• on: 13 Jan 2019 11:58AM
My back garden is like this:-

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 13 Jan 2019 04:22PM
I wish my garden was as pretty lankou!

It is a council property and I have a secure tenancy. No, my council don't help in anyway in fact because the previous tenant was an older man who went into residential care I inherited a garden of 4ft brambles that I've never been able to tackle. Well I've paid twice for them to be cleared but they reappear within months back to square one. This work will make it maintenance free and all being well I'll never see another weed again.

Artificial grass is great for pets and children. You poop scoop as normal. The Gardener recommended febrile spray as you do so and if it's in any way dirty it can be hosed. The man who's concreting a patio area is a builder and I've asked him to fit me an outside tap so that I can hope the garden and he's doing that for no extra.

I'm beginning to get into a state of high stress with having people around and it's affecting my sleep, mood and motivation. I know though how low I get looking through a windows at a jungle and having nowhere to be outside so I just have to push through this. I know I have to be around while the cementing and tap is done as he'll need a water supply but after that I wonder if I will be able to escape to my sister's while the garden is done. I can hear my heart going crazy and no dates are set yet.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 13 Jan 2019 04:57PM
Good luck with your new garden,  My garden is quite big and the grass needs cut but its too wet to do that - last week I filled the wheelie bin with just some of the dead plants,  There are 2 foxes living in my back garden and they disappear when I go round the back but I get a laugh watching them from the windows. 

As for folk saying why are you spending that on the garden - as long as it makes you happy go ahead. >bighugs<