Diabetes

• 8 Replies

Fiz

• Charter Member

Diabetes

• on: 29 Jan 2019 07:56AM
I'm almost certain that I have type II diabetes. First symptom was in May last year, pins and needles in one area in one calf. Then this year increasing fatigue to the point it's very difficult to move, I now have those pins and needles in the same area at the back of both calfs now. I have complete brain fog in which even I don't understand my thoughts. People are telling me (angrily) that I asked the same question 5 minutes previously. I think I must text someone to ask them something so I grab my phone and discover I wrote and sent that text ten minutes before. I can read what is typed looking at screens in front of me but can't see what I'm typing so I read it back to myself and realise I've missed crucial words out so the sentence doesn't make sense plus reading my own typing is blurry. Then a few nights ago I woke at 10pm less than half an hour after going to sleep having spent a penny beforehand to find myself soaked with a bladder full, enuresis. I lay there for ten minutes wondering what the heck had happened because I really couldn't believe it. I got up and dealt with me and the bed and put the washing on, back in bed and grabbed my phone and googled sudden onset adult enuresis and every single link on the answer page was a symptom of advanced diabetes. Apparently diabetes causes the nerves damage and usually the bladder stops being aware it's emptying at all, which was what happened that night. Also apparently you can feel desperate to spend a penny go to the loo and find you can't because there's a nerve 'disconnect' where the bladder doesn't receive the signal from the brain to relax the muscles so the urine can come out. Also my thirst in the period of the last 2-3 weeks has escalated from drinking 2 litres of water and a mug of green tea in 24 hours to drinking two and a half litres of water during the night and lots during the day, probably the same amount again. And I have no idea if it's related to diabetes as I don't remember reading anything about this, but yesterday for no reason at all and no warning I fell backwards when standing in my bathroom. Thankfully there happened to be a pile of laundry giving my bum a soft landing so all that happened was I hit my head on the wall behind me and scraped one arm down the inside narrow part of the door leaving that arm bruised and scraped. No harm done really except it left me in the same sitting in the bath position and there's a reason I can't have baths, that position (in the bath anyway) is impossible to get up from. I did manage to get up but it took an hour and more effort than I thought I had. I've fallen a few times before, but always forwards and always knowing why. Falling backwards is far scarier but also I have no idea why I fell because I was stood fine one minute and a second later was falling backwards for no reason. I'm having a blood test this morning and the results will reach the surgery on Thursday though I'm not due to see my GP until the following Thursday.

A friend had a diagnosis of type II diabetes and she managed to reverse it herself using the 8 week blood sugar diet and she is encouraging me not to accept medication for 3 months and try to tackle it myself with diet. Exercise not being an available option for me. So I await the result of the blood test on Thursday. I shall phone and ask for it, hopefully they'll tell me over the phone. Until the results are in I know that I don't know for sure but I feel certain myself that I have it. I've been wearing Tena disposable pants at night, like pull ups but I was so wet that dreadful night that I doubt they have enough absorbency. Thankfully it's not happened since.

I know others have type II diabetes here. What symptoms did you have prior to your diagnosis? What course of action did your GP take? And has anyone tried to reverse it themselves?

lankou

• Charter Member

Re: Diabetes

• on: 29 Jan 2019 10:57AM

I know others have type II diabetes here. What symptoms did you have prior to your diagnosis? What course of action did your GP take? And has anyone tried to reverse it themselves?

I had no symptoms at all, BUT I do have regular "armful" multiple blood tests and it was picked up on those and I was prescribed Metformin.

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 29 Jan 2019 03:17PM
Becky, my GP has phoned back before her afternoon surgery and listened to all my symptoms and worries and what's happened with the enuresis and the fall and then she gave me her views. She said she's not ruling out diabetes but it's not where her thinking would go. She thinks it's my spine. She thinks that has caused the pins in needles in my lower legs and may have caused the enuresis. When I asked her about my fall she said the messages to make your legs and feet go forward or back come from your brain down the spinal cord and down the legs and away they go. Where there is spine damage that has caused damage to the nerves my brain may have subconsciously instructed my legs to take a step back as I'd finished cleaning my teeth and the basin but the nerve message was blocked from getting to my lower legs so my upper body which was expecting to step back went backwards and I fell. If this is what's happening she'll refer me back to the spinal consultant for another MRI because the only patients they do spinal surgery on are those where the damage has caused incontinence. She said the easiest thing would be diabetes as it's easily treated. So we wait until Thursday for the blood results and see which is most likely.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 29 Jan 2019 06:18PM
>bighugs< I hope they work out what is happening at it is treatable. CP means I have always fallen over more than the average person, then a few years ago I started falling backwards more so I was sent for a  MRI. I do have damage and extra wear and tear on my spine but nothing they pinpointed as causing falls. Could drinking more have been medication side effects and the enuresis had to do with a full bladder and sedatory effects of medication. I also get the whole want to pee can't pee thing and find putting cold tap water onto toilet paper then use it as though you have peed or just hold it there can encourage muscles and brain to recognise the need to let go and pee.

ally

• Diamond member

• on: 29 Jan 2019 09:43PM
I have constant neuropathic pains down both legs.  Iím on lidocaine patches to help the pain, as well as my pain meds.  As mentioned before, ive had 6 spinal operations, including a SCS implant, and, other spinal interventions such as nerve root blocks, and, steroid injections, 

Spinal entrapment can cause bladder problems as youíve described.  Cauda equina syndrome (CES) is a condition that occurs when the bundle of nerves below the end of the spinal cord known as the cauda equina is damaged. Signs and symptoms include low back pain, pain that radiates down the leg, numbness around the anus, and loss of bowel or bladder control.  That is treated as an emergency, and, you would be hospitalised.  However, unless you have numbness issues below itís unlikely to be that.

I donít suffer from incontinance, and, have had spinal surgeries..  Therefore, Iím not sure why your GP told you otherwise.

If I were you, Iíd ask to see a neurologist. They should offer an MRI scan, and, be able to see any prolapsed discs etc.  Iíve had a few, including MRIs with contrast.  That showed up extensive nerve damage, and, excessive scar tissue.  Thatís the risk you run with spinal operations. My scar tissue is now strangling the nerve root. All the above has caused problems to  my mobility, and, balance.  The ongoing numbness in my legs caused my fall where I fractured my hip and elbow. Seek help before itís too late. Donít wait until any nerve damage is too far gone before anything can be done about it.

ally

• Diamond member

• on: 29 Jan 2019 10:05PM
I tried to edit this onto the post above, but it wouldnít save.  Fizz, youíve mentioned a B12 deficiency in the past?  That could also cause pins needles, and, balance problems.  I hope you get sorted soon, and, whatever the problem is itís easily treated  >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 30 Jan 2019 09:37AM
I take an A-Z vitamin and mineral tablet daily which provides 100% of daily needs but only 30% of calcium needs. I take a Accrete D3 calcium and vitamin tablet morning and night which together provide 100% of my calcium and vitamin D needs so I'm not expecting to be deficient in anything in my full blood count test.

Ally, as soon as the pain around my degenerative disc disease part of my spine increased to the stage it was too painful to move my GP put me on Buprenorphine patches and referred me to the Spinal Consultant within the Neurology team here. I had an MRI in November 2017 and that show that the DDD has caused inflamed nerves which is causing neuropathic pain. He asked me about continence issues and I said that movements that triggered the electric shock type pain in my spine caused urine leakage but not incontinence. A normal bodyform pad was enough. He said the nerves that are inflamed are lying across my bladder so when the neuropathic pain happens it will cause the bladder to spasm causing some leakage at the moments of pain. It was the Spinal Consultant from the neurology team who told me that they only operate if the condition is causing incontinence so with me it was about pain management and he discharged me back to my GP.

She's been very good at responding to my pain needs and my medication and dosage of them have been the same since November 2017 and are unchanged.

My GP said that if my bloods come back fine and there was another instance of incontinence she would refer me back to the Spinal Consultant and I'd have another MRI to see any changes. So far I've only had that one instance of enuresis so I wouldn't be referred back until it happened again. But my GP thinks my spine caused that to happen rather than diabetes because it's an advanced symptom of diabetes and when my blood sugars were last checked 2 years ago they were normal and it's a slow progressive disease. Her explanation of why I fell made sense and I can see why she's thinking spine with the pins and needles in one area of each lower legs, the enuresis and the fall. We'll see what the blood results say then I guess it's up to her when she refers be back to see the Spinal Consultant.

She said my muddled brain may be a response to stress and I am experience extreme stress at the moment with work my landlord needs to do in the coming couple of months, new back door, new gas boiler, new fuse board. I'm also having my back garden sorted finally. A builder is doing a few days work then a landscaping team will come and work for a few days to finish the garden off. I'm not great at one workman anywhere near me so my insides feel frantic and my head feels on the verge of panic. Oh and there's a gas inspection in a week or two.

I am worried about the continence issue and when I can afford it I will buy a mattress protector which I think will ease my stress and worry over it. But I badly need the bath taking out so that I can shower now. When I fell I landed with the wall and radiator behind me (nice bruised back but I know it's only bruised one my right I was wedged against the door edge and I was right up against the bath on my left and that's why it took me to get up. If the bath hadn't of been there I'd have been able to roll over. I might phone adult services and see what's happening. The OT who came didn't give me her name or number.

I'm just weary and fed up. In the family WhatsApp group chat I said I was having some health problems which involve tests and possibly another MRI is needed, none of my children or partners answered or responded. Whenever I've been in hospital no relative has ever visited me either so I hate being in hospital.

ally

• Diamond member

• on: 30 Jan 2019 03:06PM
I have DDD, OA, spinal stenosis, osteoporosis, and,spondylosis of the spine.  The above caused prolapsed discs at three levels, which is why I needed spinal surgery. Due to my experience of spinal surgery, I wouldnít recommend it, unless it was absolutely necessary. I now have a rechargeable spinal cord stimulator implanted (SCS). As explained before, this is basically a pain management tool, not a cure. 

Have you thought about lidocaine patches for your back?  Opiates, and, other drugs do little for neuropathic pain.  These can be used on a  12 hours on, 12 hours off basis.  They numb the painful area.  I get relief from the pain in my legs from them. I didnít want to up the opiates, so, Iíve found it a good alternative method.  Theyíre expensive, and, not all surgeries will pay for them. I got mine through my pain clinic.  It may be worth a thought?

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 31 Jan 2019 07:15AM
I'll see what my GP says. My pain sounds different to yours though so everybody is different. Buprenorphine has been approved for long term use though so I don't think it worries anybody, especially as I've not needed to increase the standing dose. I think she will want me to have another MRI and discuss options with the spinal guy. He's conservative rather than proacrive surgery wise which is a good thing I think. I trust his knowledge, experience and opinion. I'm more than happy that my pain is well managed and that's not a problem to me at all. What's upsetting me now is my body is no longer receiving signals from the brain which is causing symptoms one of which is falls so it does need discussion.