How are you coping with the cold?

• 34 Replies

SteveX

How are you coping with the cold?

• on: 31 Jan 2019 07:34PM
Hi folks, it's absolutely bitterly cold here right now, I'm wondering how you are all coping with it?

You would probably laugh if you saw me, I'm sat here in a sleeping bag with my outdoor coat or over the top and I have fingerless gloves on my hands.  >lol<

it's really freezing here, you can tell how bad it is, I've been up since 9am and I've not been out, yet my living room temperature is still only 10.2c and until an hour or so ago it spent most of the day under 9c.    and I have the heater on and placed only two foot away!  Brrrrr

Are you keeping warm?  are you a lucky blighter with the luxury of central heating or do you take odd and daft measures like me to try and keep warm?

(The funny thing is, I'm moaning about the cold now and I'll probably be moaning just as much in the summer, saying it's too hot.  Poor nature can't win  >lol< )
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Re: How are you coping with the cold?

• on: 31 Jan 2019 08:31PM
So you still have not purchased an electric over-blanket that costs less to run than your heater.  Why not?  I would not be without mine.  I snuggle under it day and night, in bed 'cos I get so tired these days.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 31 Jan 2019 08:36PM
Im very lucky in that I have central heating but at the same time I will have heat before food.  I also work so its different for me.  I often say to clients that the fuel providers cannot cut off your fuel if you are in debt and have a disability or are classed as vulnerable.  I wish people would heat their homes but do appreciate why they are scared to.

good luck to everyone in fuel poverty

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 31 Jan 2019 09:30PM
I have central heating and I'm not afraid to use it - what's the point of getting 'bone cold', it only takes that much longer to warm up the body again!  Also, the humble hot water bottle is invaluable at this time of year...

Probably have mentioned this every winter, but for those on low incomes it's worth looking into this:  https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme  My supplier is npower and I get 140 off my electricity bill every year - please check what your power provider offers, I think the majority have signed up to this scheme.

>edited to add
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2019 09:32PM by KizzyKazaer »

AndMac

• Charter Member

• on: 01 Feb 2019 12:54AM
PIP is a qualifying benefit for the 140, by the way. I could have been claiming it for years, but never mind.
I have one of those wonderful electric blankets, and my central heating ticking over. The house is comfortably 'just warm'. The kitchen is the warmest place as it gets extra heat when I cook.

I've also got a fantastic new thermos that I was sent to review, best one I have ever owned. It's steel and rubber, with a spout like a sports bottle, rather than a wide, spilly mouth. It literally keeps drinks hot for twelve hours. It's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ion8-Insulated-ThermoShield-Stainless-Sparkling/dp/B07HSGLGTK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Downer, the RRP is 25, but I would pay that if I had to replace it. It  is that good.
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

SteveX

• on: 01 Feb 2019 01:12PM
So you still have not purchased an electric over-blanket that costs less to run than your heater.  Why not?  I would not be without mine.  I snuggle under it day and night, in bed 'cos I get so tired these days.

Why not?  several reasons

1: My memory is ghastly and I forgot about them
2: I'm not sure it would keep my hands and feet cold, which are my biggest problem
3: I'm a miser and don't like spending.  lol
4: I'm stupid
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 01 Feb 2019 05:00PM
You might be stupid but at least you are honest!  You put your hands on the heated blanket and tuck your arms inside and you will be roasty toasty.  Now go out to Boots or Argos and get one.  Quick, before it gets any colder. 

SteveX

• on: 01 Feb 2019 07:16PM
You might be stupid but at least you are honest!  You put your hands on the heated blanket and tuck your arms inside and you will be roasty toasty.  Now go out to Boots or Argos and get one.  Quick, before it gets any colder.

I think I will order one and get it delivered as it seems to be getting colder, my room temp this moment is 6.6c
(I'm going to get in bed after writing this as I'll be warm, yes I'm lazy but I'm warm and lazy! haha)

Edit: ouch they are costly aren't they?  50 crikey
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2019 07:19PM by SteveX »
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 01 Feb 2019 07:52PM
One weeks PIP money if your on standard daily living or enhanced mobility, cheapest one I saw on a quick look was 32 via Ebay.  any way your money wont do you any good if you get hypothermia and become one of the government's stats.  please look after yourself

SteveX

• on: 01 Feb 2019 10:01PM
One weeks PIP money if your on standard daily living or enhanced mobility, cheapest one I saw on a quick look was 32 via Ebay.  any way your money wont do you any good if you get hypothermia and become one of the government's stats.  please look after yourself

I don't get pip (never applied) but yeah I see your point.  ;)
Member of POMMAS

AndMac

• Charter Member

• on: 02 Feb 2019 01:48PM
"I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things".

Dorothy Parker

lankou

• Charter Member

• on: 02 Feb 2019 02:25PM

huhn

• on: 02 Feb 2019 05:10PM
this winter was not too cold. so i have  one handknitted  blanket under me then  one over me and then standard 2  blankets over me. my central heating is  broken and a new burner cost too much, when i  am finish with the court case and have some money i get   1 ac what also heats in the winter. and my cats are warming me :-)  :-)  :-)

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 03 Feb 2019 07:58AM
I've gone through whole freezing winters without the central heating on because I'm so frightened of debt but I recognised it made my depression seriously worse so decided that I will use it minimally. The thermostat is set at 10 and comes on at 7am for 3 hours then 3 hours lunch time then 3 hours at 7pm. It's been coming on every day for the last ten days despite the house being very well insulated so it must be cold out though we don't have snow. Oh and I turn the thermostat to 16 before having a shower and turn it down again once dressed. My boiler isn't working properly, it doesn't respond to the thermostat so doesn't actually turn the heating on by itself. I have to go to the boiler and turn it off and then on again and then the boiler works. The council have said because the boiler comes on after being reset they say it works and is fine but I'd rather the house was warm before getting out of bed after a cold night. But I'm blessed to actually have central heating.

I live in my bed at home due to fatigue and my duvet is the warmest available but I'm still cold in the morning and the sheets feel cold.

JLR2

• on: 03 Feb 2019 04:16PM
I've my open coal fire burning away quite the thing and with the pump system connected to it the central heating carries the heat through the house. Once I have the log storage thing that is being made for me I'll organize the wood from the tree I had taken down in my back garden stored for drying out in time for next winter.