How are you coping with the cold?

• 34 Replies

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: How are you coping with the cold?

• on: 03 Feb 2019 04:41PM
A cosy open fire and central heating?  Some people have all the luck  >biggrin<

Fiz, you are right about being too cold equals worsening of depression, so please try and keep yourself warmer - did the council actually refuse to send anyone to look at the faulty thermostat? That's not on, they should at least put it on a non-urgent list of maintenance work to do (giving them the benefit of the doubt by assuming there are lots of totally non-functioning boilers to attend to)

Huhn, I like the idea of you snuggled up with your cats, there's nothing like the warmth of furry bodies!

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 03 Feb 2019 06:03PM
Fiz
look in your area for a free energy advice unit, there is one attached to my council and they visit people, advise them on the cheapest fuel package available and if you own the place (I know you rent) they can get the grants for a new boiler, for those who rent they can provide help in getting the landlord to sort the heating.

Open fires are lovely but I'd hate to have to clean the fire every morning when its minus 5 and lay the new fire. :-)

JLR2

• on: 03 Feb 2019 10:06PM
Thankfully I only need clean the fire out once a week or so, my main pain is in getting my coal from the outside bunker to the one I put together and sits by the fire. I use a trolley onto which I use a stretchable rope with hooks to hold my big trash bin (galvanised) and once I've emptied it into my bunker thing I refill it (half full so I can lift it later) so as to help prevent strong winds from blowing it across the garden.

lankou

• Charter Member

• on: 04 Feb 2019 08:38AM
A cosy open fire and central heating?  Some people have all the luck  >biggrin<

I have an open fire with a back boiler for the central heating and in theory heating the hot water tank.

JLR2

• on: 04 Feb 2019 03:48PM
''I have an open fire with a back boiler for the central heating and in theory heating the hot water tank''

Snap, me too. Lankou I'm not sure but would I be right in thinking that if I were to use my immersion heater switch in the kitchen all it would do is keep the water hot but not pump it through the central heating system as that is what the pump by the fire does?

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 05 Feb 2019 07:30AM
I do like real fires especially if fed by wood as it has no strong smoke or smell. I have a small plug heater that if it wasn't standing in the room with an electric cord behind it would look like quite a realistic coal fire. I use it for atmosphere alone when I have visitors as the fan heater isn't cheap to run. My family turn it onto to its highest setting when they're here though even though I turn the heating up 6 higher than I have it plus 8 in the lounge is lots of warm bodies and breath. I visited my foster parents newly renovated and extended bungalow a week or so ago and they have the most realistic imitation log burner with through the roof flue that I've ever seen. They've transformed that building and I think the log burner creates a cosy atmosphere in their open plan living room and kitchen.

I've started leaving my heating on 24/7 with the thermostat set at 10 and it's working out much better because the temperature is steady day and night so I never get cold. I think waking up in the morning cold had been making it hard for me to warm up and now I'm never cold.

lankou

• Charter Member

• on: 05 Feb 2019 09:20AM
''I have an open fire with a back boiler for the central heating and in theory heating the hot water tank''

Snap, me too. Lankou I'm not sure but would I be right in thinking that if I were to use my immersion heater switch in the kitchen all it would do is keep the water hot but not pump it through the central heating system as that is what the pump by the fire does?

You are correct, all the immersion heater does is heat the water in the tank. ( I have a timer on my immersion heater and the hot water tank is well insulated the immersion heater is only on for about about three hours a day 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the evening. )
That is not as expensive as it sounds due to the thermostat in the immersion heater.
The timer is also a safety feature should the thermostat fail.
(Which it has once.)

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 05 Feb 2019 11:11AM
We have the thermostat set to between 18 - 22 degrees through the day and 14 at night because we are lucky enough to be able to afford it and I cant function at lower temperatures. I dont know how many people remember those old adverts about keeping hypothermia at bay and maybe I got it wrong but I remember it as showing an old lady getting colder and colder then dying. My thing is I don't notice how cold I am getting until I try to move at which point I get painful debilitating spasms that can lead to injury. 

I did notice that when I am cold I eat more so the food bill goes up.

The dog picture reminded me of how sitting with dogs or cant warms me twice once because they share their warmth and the other in my heart ( maybe a bit soppy).

JLR2

• on: 06 Feb 2019 06:04AM
Thanks for confirming that for me Lankou. I remember Sunshine, when there used to be adverts telling folk to heat up one room, to stay there well wrapped up and how it really bugged me as I thought that idea was somewhat daft as all doing this was going to do was cause dampness (and in time mould) in un-heated rooms.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 06 Feb 2019 10:27AM
JLR,

I had not considered that aspect but it does link into what I have seen on tv about asthma in damp home. Years ago we had a lodger who insisted on keeping his window open because he was too warm. When he moved out we found lots of black mould on that wall. The house this bloke moved into was pristine but he did not keep the central heating on preferring a two bar fire. The house was a festival of all types of mould.

Some houses are mouldy because of damp or the people living there are in fuel poverty others have reasons to do with the people living there.

Your house sounds so organised warm and cosy  >thumbsup<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 06 Feb 2019 05:04PM
The house was a festival of all types of mould.

>yikes<  sounds ghastly!  How did previous occupant live with it??

As for eating more during very cold weather... hey, animals do it (Cindy the cat certainly used to yell for more 'pouch' when temperatures dropped) so why shouldn't we?  Sod any weight gain, it does for 'insulation' anyway  ;-)

JLR2

• on: 06 Feb 2019 06:27PM
" Your house sounds so organised warm and cosy  >thumbsup< "

With a fire burning, aye but with or withoot the fire burning organized is no' exactly how I'd describe the hoose >lol<

At the moment I'm still looking to find as many ways to create space for storage, things like where I can put shelving up or squeeze in a set of drawers. Being unwell since Saturday, when it took a phone call from Berlin to Edinburgh and then on to the Police in Tain for my friend in Berlin to make sure I was OK, I've not been able to do very much. On Saturday I think I may have blacked out or collapsed shortly after trying to speak with my friend and only when I managed to hear the thumping on my front door of the Police Officer who came to see if I was OK did I begin to come round. I've an appointment to see my Doc in the next few days as I've a dull pain in  my chest. Apart from that I'm fine :-)

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 06 Feb 2019 08:30PM
Do keep nice and warm and rest as much as you can JLR2.   >hugs<

Spindrift

• Bronze Member

• on: 07 Feb 2019 06:52PM
JLR,

I hope your GP can help you and you are okay  >hugs<

JLR2

• on: 07 Feb 2019 08:49PM
I've my fire burnin' away and feeling well enough. I spoke with my chemist earlier as I looked to collect a prescription and he told me I've probably damaged a muscle in my chest, something he has done himself through exercise. He went on to tell me it can take a wee while for it to sort of heal itself and there is not a lot I can do beyond resting or avoiding doing anything too strenuous.

The only thing I've been up to today is making a large canvas cover for a step ladder. The ladder is 1.8mtrs tall will be kept outside in all weathers. Trying to handle all the canvas involved as I put it through my wee singer sewing machine was flippin' awkward but I've got it done, maybe not the prettiest thing but for its purpose it'll do the job.....I hope >biggrin<