Any tips or suggestions?

• 6 Replies

JLR2

Any tips or suggestions?

• on: 10 Feb 2019 09:36PM
I'm talking of stress and how we deal with it, in some ways I kid myself that my smoking helps me relax a bit but then I've read that this is not exactly something that helps reduce stress, certainly over recent months I've often found myself thinking about the impact my smoking will be having on my health. I know it's not clever smoking but for whatever reason I carry on wasting money on tobacco, it's always the next packet will be my last...well, I suppose, one day it will >blush<

huhn

Re: Any tips or suggestions?

• on: 11 Feb 2019 09:18AM
as a non smoker I  can  say smoking relaxes, the them way as a glass of wine,  a cup of coffee ort anything else, it is just a break of not even 5 minutes that helps, for what you take the break from stress  does not matter. ok smoking not the healthiest thing but better then stress.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 11 Feb 2019 08:34PM
To relax I need to put on music - my wind down time is lying in my bed reading with a packet of sweets, I smoked years ago and the relaxation was a very temporary feeling as far as I can remember >whistle<

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 11 Feb 2019 09:34PM
I find music, sweets, chocolate and ciggies all conducive to stress management....

Seriously, Huhn has a good point about taking that break - it's about finding a satisfactory substitute for the smoking, I suppose, depending on how strong your desire is to quit (you have to really, really want to stop in order to have a good chance of succeeding, so I understand)

JLR2

• on: 11 Feb 2019 09:41PM
Taking a break for 5 minutes or sounds like something I should look to try doing Lankou. So far as the temporary fix of having a cigarette goes Monic I can well understand what you mean as no sooner have I stubbed out one and I'm making up another for my next smoke. The daft thing for me though when it comes to my smoking is the way in which when at home I'll almost constantly have a cigarette burning and yet when I travel be it down to Glasgow from Inverness (4 hour non-stop bus trip) or flying over to Berlin (2 hours) I do not suffer any sort of craving for another smoke. Must just be pure habit, a bad one, with me I guess.

Kizzy my desire to stop would be fine were it not for me talking myself into taking advantage of the far cheaper cost of tobacco in Berlin >doh<

SteveX

• on: 12 Feb 2019 07:10PM
I find it hard to relax, especially if I'm really worried or stressed about something.
The best thing for me is to either put on some of my favourite music (I'm a rock and roll lover. so pretty much anything Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, Eddie Cochan, Elvis, Fats Domino etc etc will be nice.   also I'm a gamer and I sometimes play an immersive roleplaying game so I can get engrossed in the game/story and forget about real life.  although when I'm stressed it's very hard to focus on a game long enough to get into it.

Member of POMMAS

JLR2

• on: 12 Feb 2019 08:10PM
"although when I'm stressed it's very hard to focus on a game long enough to get into it"

That sounds like the way I feel when things like my not too distant trip to Berlin gets to the last few days before leaving home. Right now I'm entering that stage as it'll be a week tomorrow when I head off to Glasgow. In a couple of days I have my car's MOT and come the 18th my appointment with my doctor to do with what happened last weekend. I'm all over the place between trying not to have too much perishable food in the fridge, things like cheese and the like usually I end up drinking ltrs of milk on the morning of my leaving. Between now and then I'm still repeatedly trying to decide what it is I'm wanting to take over in my hold luggage, I'm not taking much but I want to be sure I do take things I'll need for the wee DIY jobs planned for me when I get there. One of the things I'm taking over is some raw plugs which I learnt from experience tend to be a bit more costly in the big DIY store I use when over there, those and the roll of 'gaffa tape' which can come in fairly useful for so many wee jobs.