Changed to new GP really annoyed

• 5 Replies

gus

• Diamond member

Changed to new GP really annoyed

• on: 13 Mar 2019 04:43PM
Hi all,

Had an appointment yesterday with my GP yet another health problem, diagnosed with hypertension and another med to take. When I got home I noticed my paperwork had a doctor listed as my GP that I had never heard of. Apparently a new GP is joining the practice and I have been moved over to his list. I was not consulted at all and had not even been told I have been moved. The GP I was registered with is very understanding and we have a good relationship I don't want another GP. I called the practice and was basically told I can request to be placed back on my old GP's list but they don't have to move me.

As an Agoraphobic I have enough problems just traveling to the surgery and often have to cancel appointments. I am comfortable with my current GP and because I am comfortable it lowers my stress levels the thought of changing to a new GP is making me unwell. I am so fed up.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

Re: Changed to new GP really annoyed

• on: 13 Mar 2019 07:21PM
Hi Gus,
Send them an official letter explaining that you cannot deal with change and need to be with your original GP.  Advise them that it would have been courteous to ask before imposing a change on you.
 >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 14 Mar 2019 07:24AM
Gus, I have a fantastic GP. She's the only GP that I have seen since 2005 but she's only been my official GP since September, so only for 6 months. For the previous 5 years my GP was a male GP who had initially been new to the practice but I still have no idea what he looks like as I have never seen him. In most GP practices you can make an appointment with the GP of your choice, it doesn't matter who your named GP is. Even when I've had hospital admissions or medical tests either my chosen GP (not my named one) or if I'm in hospital I give the name of the GP that I choose to see so on every occasion my chosen GP has received all of my results and records. Even if the results etc had been given to my named GP then next time I see my chosen GP my records would be in front of her so it really doesn't matter who my named GP is because I never have to see them if I don't want to.

I recommend making an appointment with the GP that you like to see and say how you're feeling about the change of named GP. I would think that they will either say 1) it doesn't matter who your named GP is because you don't need to see them at all, you can always see them instead or they'll say 2) you can change your named GP and this is how to do it.

In many practices option 1 is the possible one, like it was for me. But I never had to see my named GP ever, I only saw the one I liked. I hope you can be reassured similarly soon.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 Mar 2019 07:42AM
>bighugs<

I agree with both the previous posts and also know what you mean about stress levels going up. Sick and disabled people like us have so much unpredictability in our lives being told we can see the doctor we want wont necessarily feel reassuring and certainly not as reassuring as being on that doctor's list. It might be worth asking for confirmation writing that you can see your usual doctor.

gus

• Diamond member

• on: 14 Mar 2019 09:14AM
Thanks for the replies everyone >bighugs< . Part of my annoyance is I found out I had been moved by accident they did not even bother informing me. The practice states patients being moved will be done randomly everyone in my family has been moved that is not random. Although you can request to be seen by any doctor in the past several times other doctors have mentioned I should see my own GP, as if I am a nuisance. I have written a letter to my previous GP explaining how I feel and why I want to remain with my him and handed it in.

The GP I like really understands how difficult I find it to get to an appointment, but other members of staff including GP's just don't understand and have made comments that proves they don't understand. I really dislike change I was with my previous GP for 17 years when he left I was devastated. It has taken a long time to get comfortable with this GP. 

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 14 Mar 2019 09:22AM
I'm not surprised you were annoyed and stressed, Gus - what your practice did, and how they went about it, was just plain rude and inconsiderate  >doh<

I have written a letter to my previous GP explaining how I feel and why I want to remain with my him and handed it in.

>thumbsup<  hopefully that will be the end of the matter  >x-fingers<