COMIC Relief

• 4 Replies

On the edge

• Gold Member

COMIC Relief

• on: 14 Mar 2019 06:47PM
My local media published all sorts of antics in support of Comic relief but all hell broke loose when one disabled posted this:

"It's against my nature to promote charity it is self-sustaining pity, and providing support on a shoestring we are legally entitled to anyway but our government is refusing us, this just feeds the pity aspect sorry. The cruellest aspect is the only people that benefit are charities who are now corporate 'private' carers who pay CEO's 100,000 a year and their ground troops (AKA supporters), getting nil but thanks very much. RIGHTS not CHARITY and you won't find many disabled supporting handouts via begging, indeed deaf children were withdrawn from comic relief because of the negative portrayal of their issues. These people are ignorant of awareness or, what we actually want, so much money supporting the negativity is bad for us. What you will see is children and animals trotted out to get max ahhh factor it makes us really angry. Some pointless 'celeb' stands there posing as well! If society really wants to help support disability rights. This costs them actually nothing.

I wonder how many disabled who support rights, not charity would be prepared to challenge such events via protests including red nose day with the view to having them removed from media or replaced with a disabled version asking viewers to protest for our rights and equality instead?  One responder countered "Disabled set up charities themselves and make work and money out of it, what's different? are disabled hypocrites too?'  I said well some are.  I am uncomfortable there is some 'charitable industry' being set up that currently appears UK-wide to be accepting millions in funding and grants for the sole purpose of establishing access and care they are already entitled to by law.  One think tank auditor suggested the disability area was worth near 6B to charity in the UK so not peanuts.  Also celebs and such getting air time for own purposes, organisers getting royal assent,  and children and animals being wheeled out to maximise that ahh factor. As we know here the BBC did not want us as adults campaigning to participate and closed down responses from us there!
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2019 06:52PM by On the edge »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Re: COMIC Relief

• on: 14 Mar 2019 09:24PM
here here

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 15 Mar 2019 09:22PM
My local media published all sorts of antics in support of Comic relief but all hell broke loose when one disabled posted this:

That piece could have been written by you, On the edge! (Was it??)

My belief has always been that, in a so-called civilised nation, disabled people shouldn't need charity support anyway...

huhn

• on: 16 Mar 2019 07:12PM
and may be one other problem with the charities, they focus on a small group, what is with some people  who are the only ones or you have multiple problems and you are not getting support from the charity why you are  not fitting there little box of thinking. and  you are right we have all a right of a good and normal life and not begging for  everything little bit what is for everyone normal to have.

On the edge

• Gold Member

• on: 26 Mar 2019 11:30AM
and may be one other problem with the charities, they focus on a small group, what is with some people  who are the only ones or you have multiple problems and you are not getting support from the charity why you are  not fitting there little box of thinking. and  you are right we have all a right of a good and normal life and not begging for  everything little bit what is for everyone normal to have.

Charity died years ago, they are simply 'not for profit' (Some are!), care agencies, with an occasional penchant for campaigning to ensure the funding keeps coming.   I looked online last week and saw 11 deaf and HoH 'charities' alone in the UK successfully acquire between them 130,000 in grants/funds. A casual perusal did not really ID what they wanted money for that wasn't a legal right anyway.   Charity is big money a reputed 6B a year at stake, and there is a lot of vested interest in them now, little from grassroots it has to be said, and nobody questions the ethics of rights being underpinned and reliant on handouts.  Also, the days of rattling a tin by someone well-meaning on the streets has virtually been replaced by corporate plugs in posh hotels with business, charity obviously feeling street collections pale into insignificance when they can lobby for 1,000s from business with a promise for a gong and free publicity at the end of it.  So why after all this and these ridiculous TV appeals have we NOT advanced an iota at all? indeed disabled worse off now than they ever were?  Why aren't these appeals and money gathered then concentrated on enforcing our law by right?  The idea is to end charity nor perpetuate them.