Dentist appointment

• 17 Replies

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Dentist appointment

• on: 27 Sep 2019 09:32PM
You know what the problem is?  For cleaning, you don't even get the local anaesthetic ... I recall many moons ago a nightmare visit to the hygienist (not helped by the fact that she was a bad-tempered madam who seemed determined to make my mouth bleed).  Not seen a hygienist since!  My dentist used to give a scrape and a polish at the same time as the six-monthly check, but they don't do that any more at my practice  >thumbsdown<

Actually, if you have a nail file or similar small sharp instrument, you can do quite a good cleaning job on your gnashers in the comfort of your own home...

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 27 Sep 2019 10:37PM
You can get the tools in chemist shops if you want the correct ones.  >biggrin<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 18 Oct 2019 03:15PM
I had very mixed experiences of dentists.

I had a good family dentist as a child. When I came home from university, though, I went to a different dentist as part of a decision not to use the same dentist, doctor, optician etc. as my family.  Sort of growing up.

But the new dentist, NHS, went private and I moved to a new NHS one.  I started having problems with a tooth (not their fault) and had a new filling, but it started hurting again.

I went back to the family dentist, who did a deeper filling but warned it could get worse.  Then he died.  The tooth started hurting badly.  I tried to find out who was taking over his practice but there was a delay.  I saw a dentist from a different practice in the same building but he said he wouldn't do anything with it because that would be taking work away from the practice that was being sold.

The new dentist arrived and looked at the tooth.  He said it needed a root canal and inlay.  I said surely a cap/crown would be better. No, he said, an inlay, and I was given a price.  I was on means-tested benefits and it was a lot of money.

I said I'd think and looked online.  It was the going rate for the job.  I was still doubtful so went to an NHS dentist to see if I could get it on the NHS (and by now months had passed since my last NHS check-up so I could have a free check-up).

The dentist X-rayed it and said in her opinion the roots were cracked, although it didn't actually show on the X-ray.  I went home and researched online.  Because of the way fee-scales work, the NHS dentist would make a loss on a root canal and inlay or crown, but a profit on an extraction.  The private dentist would make a profit on the root canal and inlay but next to none, if any, on a simple extraction. 

So each was recommending what would give them the bigger profit and I had no way of knowing whether either was more competent, so I decided to gamble on paying to keep the tooth.

I asked the private dentist if he was sure the tooth wasn't cracked.  Sure.  So I agreed to have it done.  He did the root canal and put in a temporary filling.

After a few months (as agreed with him) I went back for the inlay.  Then came the shocker.  He said the price I'd been quoted (not in writing) didn't include the inlay and billed me that much again.

Shortly after that, the tooth fell apart.  I went to a new dentist, who, on the NHS, pulled out the fragments carefully piece by piece.

I've since stayed with him.  He's a brilliant dentist.  I started taking my Dad to him.  Dad could get very confused and distressed when taken out of his usual surroundings, and the dentist treated him with respect, e.g. telling him he looked smart when actually he was wearing slippers and had breakfast stains on his shirt.  It was beautiful to watch.

I wish I'd made a formal complaint about the rip-off dentist.  I think the amounts were 400 + 350, but it could have been 450 + 400.

What sort of person will cheat someone on means-tested benefits for that amount?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)