JLR2

Re: Medical investigations

• on: 01 Jul 2019 05:27AM
 >bighugs< 

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 01 Jul 2019 07:19AM
I'm feeling so calm about this and am not at all bothered, just would like it over with so I can start healing and recuperating. There'll be a period of time that I won't be able to drive so I will be stuck at home again. I need to ask questions such as the length of the hospital stay, then recovery time including how long until it's okay to drive again. I know insurance says 6 weeks following abdominal surgery, so I need to check if they have any set length of time for spinal surgery or is it doctor's advice only. I'm going to Wales this weekend to watch the airshow, something that has been booked since last year so I don't want this weekend disrupted!

ally

• on: 01 Jul 2019 09:12AM
If it's just for the spinal surgery recuperation, then, that'll be about 6 weeks too.  It'll take as long as it takes. With the first spinal operation I had, I developed an infection.  However, I was fine with the others. You wont be able to drive until it's safe to do so.  With any spinal surgery, certain movements is painful. I certainly couldn't do much afterwards. It also depends on what the surgery involves. The first two operations were a lot more painful, as I had some of the bone removed from my spine.  I'd certainly get as much information as I could about what's involved.  Once out of hospital you may need someone to be there for you for a few days at least.   >hugs<

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 01 Jul 2019 08:44PM
The operation involves cutting the dura membrane that surrounds the spinal cord and brain and cutting out the tumour that has attached itself to the inside of the dura and then repairing the opening to the dura. I don't know if they need to move any bone to get to where the tumour is. They did say it is larger and longer than expected. If they don't have to do anything with the bones of my spine that will be a quicker recovery. My daughter nursed a child who had a tumour removed from the spine, where in the spine she didn't say, but he had shooting nerve pains travelling down his legs for weeks afterwards and required physio etc to gain the ability to walk again. I'm sure I won't be as incapacitated as that though. If the worst comes to the worst the dog sitter can keep my dog longer (she's offered as long as needed) and maybe my previous unofficial foster parents who took me in as a teen will allow me to stay with them for a while. They have a bungalow with a spare bedroom. I don't feel brave enough to ask though, I'm hoping they might offer.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 01 Jul 2019 09:18PM
Well, if these people were kind enough to provide your younger self with a safe home when you needed it, I would think they'd love to help you now in any way they can!

ally

• on: 01 Jul 2019 10:03PM
I could,be very wrong.  However, if itís the dura membrane, then, perhaps removal of bone wonít be necessary.  It all depends on what the tumour has attached itself to. I didnít have a tumour.  However, Iíve been left with ongoing pain down both my legs. I have FBS, which is why I have a SCS implant.
Hopefully, you may not experience that.  You really will need someone to care for you when you come out of hospital.  They wonít allow you home until thatís in place. Iím sure youíll be on strong painkillers,or, even intravenous drugs while on the wards. 

Theyíll expect you to get out of bed ASAP.  Before you can go home, youíll be made to walk up some stairs.  Iíve had that quite a few times now.  Itís very painful, but, they wonít allow you home unless youíre self caring, and, can manage the stairs. Youíll probably see an OT who will ask about your current home, and, who will care for you, before they discharge you,  I really hope your unofficial foster parents will be there for you.  If I were you, Iíd be brave, and, ask them. I was in no condition to care for myself after all the spinal interventions Iíve had.  I doubt youíll be any different.  Let us know if you get the care you need  >hugs<