Anyone have experience of knee pain?

• 12 Replies

SteveX

Anyone have experience of knee pain?

• on: 08 May 2019 07:26PM
Just wondering if any of you have experienced knee pain as I am really suffering badly right now with my left knee.
it started about a week ago when it was a little uncomfortable when I put pressure on that leg (ie getting up from seated position) but in the last 2-3 days it's become real agony indeed.

The pain is on the left knee and is centered to the side of my knee (like 2 inches to the right of my knee), right now walking is very uncomfortable and climbing steps is very painful also my lower leg feels like its cold and aches a bit from time to time)

right now I'm finding it very hard to put my leg in any position that doesn't cause pain.  it's not so bad in bed but I can't stay in bed all day haha!

The odd thing is I've not knocked it, bashed it or hurt it in anyway, it just came on like this for seemingly no reason.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2019 07:28PM by SteveX »
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
All new pains that you have never had before should be referred to your GP.

ally

I agree with auntie.  Not all knee pain is from the knee.  It can be referred pain.  My knee pain, is from my hip.  Therefore, see your GP

SteveX

All new pains that you have never had before should be referred to your GP.

I know you're right but I only do that when I have no other options and the pain is unbearable. (although I'm lucky and my Doctor is a very nice and understanding man, one of my many 'issues' is that I suffer from white coat syndrome, so even a trip to the docs is very very hard for me)

My mum suggests getting one of those elastic straps to support it, so I might look at that first.

Thanks anyway.  >bighugs<
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
sometimes when you strap up a knee it can make it worse.  So do be careful what you do Steve.

JLR2

Hi Steve, since my left knee dislocated back in 1979 I've had on going problems with it. The most recent term I've become aware of in regards to my problem is subluxation, that is my knee cap moves to dislocate pretty much without cause knocks or anything like that. I would be thinking in terms of what is causing your problems might be to do with the muscles around the knee and as has been suggested asking you local GP or surgery nurse, perhaps even a chemist what may be behind your knee pain. 

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
I also think you should see your doctor, Steve, but whether you do or not, I would suggest that one thing you can do to make it easier when out and about on pavements is to see whether which side of the road you walk on makes a difference. 

I'm serious.  I've had knee problems, and in particular long-term problems with the medial collateral ligament in my left knee (that's the one that stabilises the knee by going vertically down the inner/right side of it) and walking with the road to my left, so the pavement camber was up on the right and down on the left helped.

If that doesn't help you with getting about, consider trying the other side of the road, and if that doesn't help, at least you've tried and it will have increased your awareness of just what aspects of how you distribute your weight make a difference.

As a smile, what seems to have helped my left knee most (which also has other damage which necessitated surgery) was problems with my right leg, so my left leg had to stop whinging and start pulling its weight!

Meanwhile, if your knee might need any treatment, don't leave it too long to see the doctor.  I was referred back to my neurologist about my right leg, particularly what appeared to be an interrelated problem between toe function and knee pain, which may be connected with my ataxia, or, as I think, have nothing to do with it, and I've been waiting 7 months for an appointment.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

SteveX

Thanks all.

I'll try and show this small image

The center of the red bit shows pretty much exactly where my pain is.  quite frankly I would not have imagined that the side of your knee could give you so much intense pain, it's shocking and talk about sleep, practically non-existant as I cannot get it in any position that is comfortable. (it's also very warm to the touch but the lower part of my leg is cold. haha weird)

No idea what caused this, it's all very odd but hells bells it's painful, I could cry at times.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2019 09:04PM by SteveX »
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
You can get a cream or a gel from the chemist or Boots that helps with joint pain.  One is cold and the other generates heat.  Try one of those if you are still reluctant to go to your GP.

Frances

• Charter Member
You really must see a Doctor it could be a clot in a vein which can be dangerous if it moves, To your heart or Brain.          Does it feel hot to the touch is it red,
It Really needs checking.                  If its just a pulled muscle the Ibuprofen gel is great .                         There are 3 strengths.2 1/2 ,5 or 1Ow/w
You need to give love to receive it.

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
(it's also very warm to the touch but the lower part of my leg is cold. haha weird)
Over the years I have had allsorts of knee pain and the only time I had a hot knee it was because of infection so my advice get a asap appointment with your GP or a nurse at the practice.If it turns out to be an infection the sooner you get treatment and if not then well they might give you an idea of what is causing you knee pain and you could look up physio exercises online. That is if you don't want to go to an actual physio.

For me having leg or knee pain keeps me far to stationary, I become less mobile and more unfit etc. I end up staying in one room too much and not going into the garden and this results in it being harder to go out and about in general. We all have to be careful such things are not allowed to cause mental health symptoms like agoraphobia. Hmm allowed it too strong a work but I reckon people know what I mean.

We try to do our best, sometimes we succeed and other times we dont fail so much as need to rest and try again another day.

SteveX

You can get a cream or a gel from the chemist or Boots that helps with joint pain.  One is cold and the other generates heat.  Try one of those if you are still reluctant to go to your GP.

Thank you

You really must see a Doctor it could be a clot in a vein which can be dangerous if it moves, To your heart or Brain.          Does it feel hot to the touch is it red,
It Really needs checking.                  If its just a pulled muscle the Ibuprofen gel is great .                        There are 3 strengths.2 1/2 ,5 or 1Ow/w

okay, you've just scared the bejesus out of me haha, I know that wasn't your aim.  yes it does feel 'warm' to the touch but my legs always go hot and red at night for some reason, been like that for many years now.

I can say I did get some sleep last night and today although I took two painkiller tablets this morning, i've not taken any since as although it feels uncomfortable (especially when touched) it's not been badly painful today so I've not needed to take more painkillers.

I have noticed though that any climbing steps (even 2-3) make it flare up and even the slightest 'twisting' of my left leg really amplifies the pain sharply.  ..so I'm trying to keep it rested and not move it.

Thanks again all for your help

Edit:- Well I phoned my docs and got an appointment but it's not until next wednesday, but on the bright side I did manage to get some decent sleep last night and although its still there, the pain 'currently' is more of a nagging pain than an OMG KILL ME NOW! pain that it was a couple of days ago.  Which is good
« Last Edit: 13 May 2019 11:09AM by SteveX »
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
 Hi Steve
If its a sprain then they'll tell you to rest and I cant recall if its heat or cold treatment.  Glad the pain has reduced a bit but good luck in the meantime  >x-fingers<