Now,for me, the nervous wait begins

• 3 Replies

JLR2

Now,for me, the nervous wait begins

• on: 10 Jun 2019 05:24PM
This morning I received a letter from the DWP requiring me to provide proof of my returning to the UK from my visiting friends in Berlin earlier this year.

The only thing I could think of at first was to contact the airline I flew with to ask if they could confirm my being on the flight I took when returning. I contacted the airline and yes they could confirm I was on the flight and sent me an email with the text of our online chat. I have posted this and mentioned the bus company which I used on arrival is looking to see if they can confirm my having my bus pass scanned on the bus I used in Glasgow from the airport to the bus station in the city centre.

Another source of proof I have thought of is the bus I used from Glasgow to Inverness the next day, as the bus left at 07.30 in the morning I had to have been back in the UK the day before as there were no flights that would see my arriving in the UK before this bus left Glasgow so my having been there in person to have my pre-booked ticket validated through the bus's on-board scanner is, so far as I can see things, proof of my being back in the UK.

Though the DWP letter which had to have the completed form within it returned within 10 days, provided a return envelope it was stamped with a 2nd class stamp, I used a 1st class stamp and paid for next day delivery with proof of delivery. The DWP's letter did inform me that failure to return the completed form within its time limit would see me losing my ESA entitlements so now all I can do now is wait..... >erm< nervously.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2019 05:28PM by JLR2 »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Now,for me, the nervous wait begins

• on: 10 Jun 2019 06:55PM
I would have thought that the airline letter would be enough proof.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 10 Jun 2019 07:22PM
Hi JLR2

Give them 4 working days and then phone to check the paperwork has been received, it takes 6 working days to reach the decision makers desk and then it depends on how much of a backlog that person has.

good luck

JLR2

• on: 10 Jun 2019 09:42PM
Hi Monic, I have the feeling that the DWP will have to be quicker than that as given I had only the 10 days to return the completed form or lose my current ESA benefits. My thinking this is based on the idea that the DWP would not, in theory at least, be right to stop my ESA within 10 days if any delay in processing the reply I have provided was down to themselves.

As I mentioned in my earlier posting my posted form should be with them by 1pm tomorrow and should the DWP require any further information or confirmation of my being in the UK beyond what I have provided the 10 day period for responding to their letter should be extended, least it would be if the DWP were to be fair and not just concerned to do anything and everything it can think of to see folk having their benefits cut or stopped.

"I would have thought that the airline letter would be enough proof."

AuntieC, I'm scared to have any confidence in that being the case certainly I'm hoping the airline email of my on-line chat with them will suffice but I've had for a while the feeling things were going just too well for me and something (reality) was going to kick in and make the plumbing problem I had earlier this year seem like a wonderful dream. I suppose it is much the same for many of us, we are all wary of feeling anything approaching relaxed with our situation.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2019 09:51PM by JLR2 »