Jeremy Kyle lie detectors vs DWP assessments

• 5 Replies

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Has anyone raised this.

There have been various comparisons drawn, but I liked the one on Ekklesia, which is a news site written from a Christian perspective.  They've written quite a bit that's critical of 'austerity' etc.

Their lead reporter/commentator, Bernadette Meaden, says -

This week Damian Collins, the Conservative Chair of the Culture Media and Sport Select Committee, said the makers of the Jeremy Kyle Show were irresponsible. They were irresponsible, he said, because they put "really vulnerable people" through a test which may not be accurate,  “causing considerable distress to the people receiving the results."

From what I have seen of the show, Damian Collins has a very valid point. But when it comes to the use of dubious tests and the mistreatment of vulnerable people, the Jeremy Kyle Show is really nothing compared to the scale of institutionalised bullying which the government has meted out to sick and disabled people for almost a decade.

(I've only quoted a small chunk because it's copyright.)

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
 >lol<
If you asked him about the dwp tests he’ll tell you they are assessments not tests.  Nit picking but that’s an mp for you.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Well even if they're assessments not tests, they're very testing assessments!
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Didn't the producers of the now-axed Jeremy Kyle Show state quite adamantly that pre/during/after-show 'psychological support' was available to those participating?

We don't get anything like that offered when we've completed a particularly gruelling DWP form...

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
From what participants said 'support' is something of a misnomer for what the show provided.  In particular, various participants reported being deliberately wound up before the show.

I only ever watched a few clips and I think either one or two complete shows, all well after broadcast (on Youtube) and it was obvious to me that people were being deliberately wound up and deliberately thrown to the lions.

As for DWP support, I think I'd rather not have it.  Not that I don't trust them, of course.  I mean, the DWP is so honest and helpful overall, isn't it?  (I'd better stop there before someone calls a psychiatrist to section me for being delusional.)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
 >lol< though I can promise you when I worked for the DWP, I did actually try to be human  ;-)

Regarding Jeremy Kyle, your post has just reminded me of what I read in one newspaper article about the whole debacle - that apparently the participants were manipulated beforehand by the use of NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) which is rather a horrible thought - I can't think of the example given offhand, unfortunately, but talk about exploiting people's vulnerabilities  >steam<