Author Topic: I haven't heard has anyone else?  (Read 145 times)

JLR2

I haven't heard has anyone else?
« on: 29 Mar 2020 10:22AM »
I am very fortunate in that my eyesight is fairly good but this morning as Andrew Marr was talk with M Gove MP a couple in the background caught my eye. It was just a glimpse but I mistook it for someone helping someone else with a white stick and it has caused me to ask myself what help is there being provided for those who are blind or visually impaired?

I can only imagine the current lockdown must be impacting even harder on those folk, are they being helped with shopping and other day to day issues?  I certainly hope so.

oldtone27

• Charter Member
Re: I haven't heard has anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2020 03:08PM »
I am not sure what the government's policy is regarding VI people but our local VI charity is providing some support.

Mostly it is mobilising its volunteers to operate telephone befriending, instead of previous home visits, and where necessary they will get shopping for the members.

Unfortunately because of the social contact restrictions they cannot offer the usual document reading services, which could be a problem for those who don't have smart phones or similar tech.