I have my doubts

• 19 Replies

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

Re: I have my doubts

• on: 30 Mar 2020 01:32AM
I don't say he was trying to give the impression of anything.  Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. 

I think where you and I disagree on this isn't as to whether Boris, with or without encouragement from others, would be prepared to fake having Covid-19, it's just as to whether we think he actually is faking it.

I see it as being like a child going into an exam with what he thinks will be the key points from the course written on his sleeve, then to his surprise finding he can answer the questions without looking.  Just because he was prepared to cheat didn't mean he did cheat.

I also see it like the Reichstag fire that led to Hitler withdrawing swathes of human rights via the Reichstag Fire Decree, which was secondary legislation.  People are still arguing now whether the man who was convicted of setting the fire actually did do so.  I find it historically and intellectually interesting and have watched various documentaries on it, but it makes little difference to what happened, because whether the Nazis set it and blamed the Communists or whether the Communists set it is actually a very minor part of what happened, since we know that there were people on both left and right prepared to do it and that the Nazis were on the lookout for an excuse.  So intellectually it's interesting, but in terms of political outcome, it's actually a very minor point.

So the Boris corona thing is interesting but also something we'll never know.  In my opinion, he'd be prepared to fake it, and my only real argument in favour of his not having done so is the failure to make a show of visible/audible symptoms. 

But since, based on past behaviour, he's a lying toerag, we'll never know, shall we, unless he drops dead, but even then, we wouldn't be sure he'd caught it when he said he did, not later.

Sad that we've got the sort of political leader where it doesn't shock anyone if people query whether he's lying (again).  My politics are left of centre, but there are Tory leaders I've had some respect for, even though I disagreed with them, but I think that Boris' handling of the pandemic is typical of his incompetence.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

• on: 30 Mar 2020 07:55AM
Good morning Sunny, I pretty much agree with all that you were saying there in your posting, including your reference to the Reichstag fire. I think since I began my posting on the Johnson virus we've now heard of the Secretary of State for Scotland self isolating due to his experiencing "mild symptoms" am I mistaken but to date I do not think we've been told of any other political leader of a British political party self isolating due to "mild coronavirus symptoms", have we? 

Maybe just a coincidence or then again maybe I've put my finger on what everyone has been missing, the coronavirus is attracted by top Tory MPs and other political parties are immune. Sadly I do know that such a thought is simply daft but the way things are going right now I think many daft things will be said and thought by us all.

JLR2

• on: 30 Mar 2020 10:50PM
I have to admit I was wrong in having my doubts about Prince Charles, the PM and Cummings. I dawned on me that given it had been said in the media that they tested positive any later story of any of them being infected again by the virus would be something of a shock not only here in the UK but across the world as it is said that exposure to the virus tends to leave the person infected with some immunity to the virus.

I should think twice before posting my wild/daft notions or ideas >blush<

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 31 Mar 2020 07:22PM
Please don't stop posting ideas you think someone might, especially with hindsight, think are wild or daft.  I don't want to feel I've got to stop posting ideas I think some people might think are wild or daft.

Besides, we may have disagreed as to whether Boris has been faking it, but we agreed that he's capable of faking it, that it would be in character to consider faking it.  I like this sort of debate.  I learn from it.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

JLR2

• on: 31 Mar 2020 09:07PM
If Johnson has faked his having mild symptoms, hang on was it mild symptoms or testing positive for the virus?  I'm no' sure now. If it was, as I originally thought, a ploy to say to the country that we are all in this together they'll be having a right time of it making sure he doesn't contract the virus now.