Now,for me, the nervous wait begins

• 10 Replies

JLR2

Now,for me, the nervous wait begins

• on: 10 Jun 2019 05:24PM
This morning I received a letter from the DWP requiring me to provide proof of my returning to the UK from my visiting friends in Berlin earlier this year.

The only thing I could think of at first was to contact the airline I flew with to ask if they could confirm my being on the flight I took when returning. I contacted the airline and yes they could confirm I was on the flight and sent me an email with the text of our online chat. I have posted this and mentioned the bus company which I used on arrival is looking to see if they can confirm my having my bus pass scanned on the bus I used in Glasgow from the airport to the bus station in the city centre.

Another source of proof I have thought of is the bus I used from Glasgow to Inverness the next day, as the bus left at 07.30 in the morning I had to have been back in the UK the day before as there were no flights that would see my arriving in the UK before this bus left Glasgow so my having been there in person to have my pre-booked ticket validated through the bus's on-board scanner is, so far as I can see things, proof of my being back in the UK.

Though the DWP letter which had to have the completed form within it returned within 10 days, provided a return envelope it was stamped with a 2nd class stamp, I used a 1st class stamp and paid for next day delivery with proof of delivery. The DWP's letter did inform me that failure to return the completed form within its time limit would see me losing my ESA entitlements so now all I can do now is wait..... >erm< nervously.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2019 05:28PM by JLR2 »

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Now,for me, the nervous wait begins

• on: 10 Jun 2019 06:55PM
I would have thought that the airline letter would be enough proof.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 10 Jun 2019 07:22PM
Hi JLR2

Give them 4 working days and then phone to check the paperwork has been received, it takes 6 working days to reach the decision makers desk and then it depends on how much of a backlog that person has.

good luck

JLR2

• on: 10 Jun 2019 09:42PM
Hi Monic, I have the feeling that the DWP will have to be quicker than that as given I had only the 10 days to return the completed form or lose my current ESA benefits. My thinking this is based on the idea that the DWP would not, in theory at least, be right to stop my ESA within 10 days if any delay in processing the reply I have provided was down to themselves.

As I mentioned in my earlier posting my posted form should be with them by 1pm tomorrow and should the DWP require any further information or confirmation of my being in the UK beyond what I have provided the 10 day period for responding to their letter should be extended, least it would be if the DWP were to be fair and not just concerned to do anything and everything it can think of to see folk having their benefits cut or stopped.

"I would have thought that the airline letter would be enough proof."

AuntieC, I'm scared to have any confidence in that being the case certainly I'm hoping the airline email of my on-line chat with them will suffice but I've had for a while the feeling things were going just too well for me and something (reality) was going to kick in and make the plumbing problem I had earlier this year seem like a wonderful dream. I suppose it is much the same for many of us, we are all wary of feeling anything approaching relaxed with our situation.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2019 09:51PM by JLR2 »

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 01 Jul 2019 07:31AM
I hope this all went smoothly. The DWP date stamp letters/forms on arrival so the person who then deals with it days later will know the date the correspondence arrived with them. I would have thought the airline proof would have been enough too. Have the DWP never requested evidence about your previous trips to Berlin? I think they are clamping down generally. During previous hospital stays I've met patients who've been in hospital many months still in receipt of their DLA but now part of the admission process is to declare what benefits you receive and are given a letter from the hospital saying they will inform the DWP of your hospital stay if you remain there after 28 days. So the DWP are getting hotter at evidence gathering.

huhn

• on: 01 Jul 2019 01:16PM
one moment even when you stay in hospital  you have rent,  and water and electricity to pay  and also your washing is not done for free,  so  who pays????????????????????????????

Fiz

• Charter Member

• on: 01 Jul 2019 08:32PM
You're entitled to the basic amount of ESA but not the supplements for a longer period, don't quote but I think it's 6 months and housing benefit is paid for a year I think. PIP/DLA is for you care needs and your care needs are provided by the hospital so the government doesn't want to pay twice. I've never been in hospital more than 5 weeks but I feel fairly sure that my household bills would be covered by the base amount of ESA so I would reduce all the things I'm able to reduce to a minimum level, I would need to be paying the part of my rent not covered due to the under occupancy reduction in housing benefit. I think it would be a nightmare to be in hospital more than 5 weeks. Oh if you are well enough for weekend/overnight leave those weeks don't count as you being in hospital for benefit purposes. 

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 01 Jul 2019 09:26PM
I suppose it is much the same for many of us, we are all wary of feeling anything approaching relaxed with our situation.

They do like to keep us on our toes with anything benefit-related, don't they? Heaven forfend that ESA recipients  should ever feel safe and secure in the long-term, it might make us workshy  >doh<

Anyway,  >x-fingers<  your situation is resolved with as little pain as possible from the DWP..

JLR2

• on: 02 Jul 2019 08:58AM
Morning folks :-)   As yet I've not heard anything from the DWP regarding my proving my return to the UK. I sent the proof through signed for next day delivery and then left things a week or so before I phoned them to ask for a BF5. The BF5 was posted to me but without the pre-paid return envelope included.

Like the proof of return letter I returned the completed BF5 with proof of delivery, I also phoned to make sure they had received this. In the course of the chat I had with the DWP I mentioned the lack of return envelope but I only mentioned this lack of return envelope more or less as chat, if you know what I  mean as I always send these forms back with a signature of receipt requirement.

I think it must have been my mentioning the lack of the return envelope that saw the DWP send me another BF5 form with a return envelope, I certainly hope it was >yikes<   I'll hold onto the new BF5 and make use of it next time I'm looking to be out the country.

Apart from all this I'm getting real fed up with the weather up here, if it is not raining it's blowing a full blown flippin' gale we jist cannae win. Listening to the weather forecasts sound not unlike the end of summer forecasts as we go into autumn/winter :-(   Awe right I'm jist a girny auld man >biggrin<

huhn

• on: 19 Jul 2019 07:00PM
2 days ago i got a  letter, it stated i have 4 weeks time to prove that my son receives illegally  payments as a  person with special needs. I called this department that i had just 3 weeks ago the tribunal for him to have a upgrade and i am waiting for the answer. all what they told me that they do not care, the have no information that my boy has a handy cap and they have information that  we  done fraught. i called the tribunal department and all what they were telling me that it can not be, normally  this things go over them. so Monday i send them quick  the medical papers. and then i have to wait what is happening.   

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member

• on: 20 Jul 2019 04:06PM
 >bighugs<
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)