Tell this MP about your problems with PIP assessments

• 2 Replies

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
For those who don't want to click links - this is the content

A former Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions has appealed for members of the public to tell their stories of failings in the assessment process for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) Ė as carried out by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Labourís Debbie Abrahams has teamed up with blogger Chris Whitaker, who explains the situation better than I could on his site, disabilityspeaks.com:
ďRecently, I have heard some of your accounts about the PIP process.  Some of them were particularly worrying, so I got in touch with people to see if they could help.  One of them was Debbie Abrahams MP.  Iím working with Debbie to call for improvements to be made to the PIP process.
ďTo be clear, this isnít a political thing.  It is far bigger and more important than that.  It is about treating people fairly, with decency and dignity.  To me, that is about more than a political viewpoint, and we need support from across the political spectrum to bring about positive change.
ďTo help support the case for change, I need you to tell me about your experiences of the PIP process. Tell me about how the PIP process felt for you, what you would improve. Itís important to highlight any good practice too.
ďIf you would like to tell me about your experiences as a claimant, an assessor, or someone who has been involved with PIP via a professional role, Iíd like to hear from you.
ďYou can give your name, or tell your story anonymously.   Your name, or other information that might identify you, will not be publicly named unless you give your consent to this.  I understand that telling your story about PIP can be hard, so if you want to talk about this, please let me know.
You can use the form here, or email Chris at chris@chriswhitaker.co.uk.

AND SECOND LINK
As you know, I have been blogging and tweeting about the PIP process in a personal capacity for a long time.  I have shared my personal experiences of each stage of the PIP process, as well as appearing in the press to talk about it and raise awareness.
Recently, I have heard some of your accounts about the PIP process.  Some of them were particularly worrying, so I got in touch with people to see if they could help.  One of them was Debbie Abrahams MP.  Iím working with Debbie to call for improvements to be made to the PIP process.  To be clear, this isnít a political thing.  It is far bigger and more important than that.  It is about treating people fairly, with decency and dignity.  To me, that is about more than a political viewpoint, and we need support from across the political spectrum to bring about positive change.
This is where you come in.  To help support the case for change, I need you to tell me about your experiences of the PIP process. Tell me about how the PIP process felt for you, what you would improve.  Its important to highlight any good practice too.  If you would like to tell me about your experiences as a claimant, an assessor, or someone who has been involved with PIP via a professional role, Iíd like to hear from you.
You can give your name, or tell your story anonymously.   Your name, or other information that might identify you, will not be publicly named unless you give your consent to this.  I understand that telling your story about PIP can be hard, so if you want to talk about this, please let me know.  You can use the form below, or email me at chris@chriswhitaker.co.uk. It is also important that we are able to be inclusive our efforts, so if you need information in an alternative format, donít hesitate to get in touch.
Thank you.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
It's not clear to me where this information will go or what does or doesn't guarantee confidentiality.

My biggest unanswered question is whether it will appear on his website.  If not, why aren't we being told just to send it direct to Ms Abrahams' office?
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)