Cummings and history being repeated

• 3 Replies

JLR2

Cummings and history being repeated

• on: 27 Sep 2019 09:23PM
I have just been reading about Dominic Cummings on Wikipedia and one part really caught my eye. It was said on Wikipedia that Cummings had a strong interest in Otto Von Bismarck, me I have always had an interest in Bismarck, the Battleship Bismarck that is.

Anyways, the part I read reads as follows,-

"Jonathan Steinberg says of Bismarck's achievements to this point:

The scale of Bismarck's triumph cannot be exaggerated. He alone had brought about a complete transformation of the European international order. He had told those who would listen what he intended to do, how he intended to do it, and he did it. He achieved this incredible feat without commanding an army, and without the ability to give an order to the humblest common soldier, without control of a large party, without public support, indeed, in the face of almost universal hostility, without a majority in parliament, without control of his cabinet, and without a loyal following in the bureaucracy.

He no longer had the support of the powerful conservative interest groups who had helped him achieve power. The most senior diplomats in the foreign service ... were sworn enemies and he knew it. The Queen and the Royal Family hated him and the King, emotional and unreliable, would soon have his 70th birthday. ... With perfect justice, in August 1866, he punched his fist on his desk and cried "I have beaten them all! All!" (I put in the paragraph edit)

I just felt change the name Bismarck to Cummings and it could almost be read word for word as Cummings plans/strategy to gain power himself. So much of the recent BBC 3 episode program about the Rise of the Nazis sounded not unlike what we are witnessing so far as various people looking to profit from the situation the country finds itself in politically. Never has the phrase, "Lessons will be learnt" been more appropriate in the context of Cummings and what he has been doing as Johnsons special advisor..

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

Re: Cummings and history being repeated

• on: 27 Sep 2019 09:35PM
He doesn't seem to be a very nice man at all, I would say from what I've already read about him - let's hope he gets replaced and quickly.

JLR2

• on: 27 Sep 2019 09:38PM
"replaced and quickly"  In a ditch perhaps? >biggrin<

JLR2

• on: 27 Sep 2019 10:15PM
As I think about my daft wee joke in my previous posting there I guess that would reduce me to not much better than Cummings. Given the number of times I've read in the media of various people involved in recent events around Brexit having said something and then having to explain themselves and the context in which they made their remark I should have thought before I hit the keyboard.

I often sit watching the telly and muttering the question to myself, "Have these people, or a particular Politian, ever had an education?" and then I go and post my comment as I have done. The thing that gets me wound up most on the telly side of things is where a Politian or self important commentator such as the editor of Spiked, I can't mind if it is Spiked online or a magazine, muttering about the 17.2/4 million of voters in the 2016 referendum who voted to leave, he knows as do I'm sure the BBC's presenters, that in 2016 no one, not even the government knew the practicalities of what a failure to achieve a withdrawl agreement would mean by way of the UK leaving with no deal as they voted in 2016.

It is only since recent events and the Yellowhammer document was released has it become clearer what leaving with such a no deal means. The other annoying repetitive rant I am sick of hearing is that the opposition is blocking Britain leaving the EU, it is not, I'm the first to admit I'm not the sharpest pin in the box but even I know they are only blocking or trying to block the country leaving with no deal at the end of October.

I can understand the concerns of many who 'do want to leave the EU' as they see the likelihood of another 3/6 month delay with the chance that all we will see at the end of such a delay is another application to the EU to extend yet again. The only solution I suppose will come down to either a general election or a 2nd referendum beyond that I cannot begin to guess what a government is going to do. And despite the rhetoric from Johnson at the Dispatch box in the House of Commons the opposition is not going to allow him to set the date for a GE which he can choose to suit his aim of Britain leaving on the 31st of October. Even a no confidence vote is not guaranteed to be won as there are some on the opposition benches wary of trusting those former Tories who have lost the Party Whip, they could as easily as they left the government benches rejoin them to support a Tory PM.

One thing I would like to see in the event there is a no deal exit from the EU is a criminal investigation into anything that looks like organized corruption between the PM, Cummings and others outwith the UK. By this I mean anything that looks like what happened when the was shorted in the Black Wednesday (or was it a Friday?) fiasco which saw a very rich guy make billions. It seems to me that the Likes of Trump, US Presidency apart, could be looking to profit personally from any negative problems hitting Britain following a no deal. Certainly I would expect to see shares in US pharmaceutical companies being boosted as they gain access to the NHS and mark my words the likes of Johnson and many others within the Conservative Party will be keen to invest in such companies, if not even in the direct employment of them as they quickly announce their retirement from frontline politics, you know for family reasons >whistle<

Oh I just minded another constant in all this Brexit issue that gets to me is the one where someone rabbits on about how in 2016 'project fear' the Country was being warned by the remainers of huge job losses which many Brexiteers are very quick to tell us never happened, well here's a shock for those Brexiteers, neither had Brexit, as they, you and me all know Britain has as yet not left the EU and that warning of job losses still stands.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2019 10:36PM by JLR2 »