They've got me at last...

• 35 Replies

Jockice

• Charter Member

Re: They've got me at last...

• on: 16 Oct 2019 08:23AM
Strange isn't it? Apparently apart from apparently being a bit clumsy as a toddler I didn't really have any signs of disability until I was about five. There is a video of me on a family day out before that walking without any problem at all. At one point my cousin Steve is kicking a stone along and almost collides with me. I don't even flinch. In the last few years before I started being a full-time wheelie I could fall over if someone looked at me.

It was actually someone on the old BBC Ouch who suggested that I might not have CP but something called DRD, which is extremely rare but treatable. I was tested for that and it turned out not to be the case but after I showed the doctors the video (which I'd only just got a copy of myself, as I had more or less lost touch with that side of the family) they said: "Hmm. It might not be CP then."

It is difficult to work out exactly what's going on with me too, but HSP is a 'best guess' thing. Although my mate has warned me not to throw any doubt on the diagnosis during the assessment as they could use it against me if I say I don't know exactly what's going on with my body.

And I know exactly what you mean about baggy clothes.

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 29 Oct 2019 07:36AM
Morning. Well it's been and gone...and seemed to go okay. My mate even said the assessor seemed nice and was coaching me to give positive answers. And I have to admit I was expecting more of an interrogation. But you know, maybe that's just her method of catching people out. Plus, I found it hard to do the avoid eye contact/only mention your bad days advice I'd been given. And I had to go out for a pee halfway through. But there we go.

The only things I'm a bit worried about are that she asked me if I ever took pain relief. I told her I take aspirin (and paracetamol, although I didn't mention that) and very occasionally tramadol. Now I do very occasionally, but it's a prescription-only drug and I haven't been prescribed it for years so when I do take it it'll be very out of date. Almost four years in the case of the packet in front of me.

The other thing is that she asked me on her way out if I really use the perching stool in my kitchen. Now, my kitchen is very narrow, so much so that I stand up in it with one hand on the cabinets and the other on a block of wood on the wall (it used to be a fold-out table but I broke the fold-out bit. The stool was side-on at the end of the kitchen (just in front of the sink) and also had a few items of washing on it. But that doesn't mean that I don't use it.

As well as having a friend there I taped the whole thing (well most of it as I didn't realise it had run out at one point) as my local DPAC (which I'm a nominal member of) had a fundraiser to buy recording equipment. As by sheer chance I was the first person to use it I agreed to be interviewed and photographed for it so I'm all over their Twitter and Facebook feeds. Could have done without that really. But I am wearing a very nice cardigan (a present from my sister) so that makes it all okay. DPAC Sheffield if you want to look it up.

Monic1511

• on: 29 Oct 2019 10:26PM
At least that part is over, now the wait for the decision, good luck

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 30 Oct 2019 06:23AM
Thanks Monic. I am a bit apprehensive and keep thinking about whether I could have phrased certain things differently. But I suppose everyone does that. I'll let you all know of what happens. My mate and other people who know me say I should be okay, but I remain unconvinced.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 30 Oct 2019 11:20AM
I am a bit apprehensive and keep thinking about whether I could have phrased certain things differently. But I suppose everyone does that

It happens with the form as well once it's posted! I just refuse to look at the copy I always make until the decision comes through, as there's no point in agonising over 'could I have done better'... Never had a face-to-face for DLA or PIP, but I would think - especially with PIP - that these assessor types are trained to ask the most searching questions.  It doesn't mean that they're set to turn you down - so a big  >x-fingers<  and hope to hear some good news soon.

Jockice

• Charter Member

• on: 03 Nov 2019 12:54PM
This could make me a marked man/ Still, my cardigan's lovely. And my t-shirt is actually a pyjama top you know. A birthday present from a friend.

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/activists-combine-to-offer-pip-assessment-recording-kits/?fbclid=IwAR1_KkpUxPOsk_1YehGO0D9BDBJZL_CHIhK-qCAu1WHRNsVzsLeFrmimqj0
« Last Edit: 03 Nov 2019 12:57PM by Jockice »