Johnson has broken the law, fact.

• 9 Replies

JLR2

Johnson has broken the law, fact.

• on: 19 Oct 2019 10:47PM
Though Johnson has sent a letter requesting a delay in Britain leaving the EU in not signing it he has in effect broken the law. You or I could have sent the letter given the lack of signature. Anyone sending or receiving an unsigned cheque would either have their cheque returned or be unable to cash an unsigned cheque made out to them.

Will the powers that be notice this aspect of law?  I wonder.

A wee note regarding cheques, though my cheque book's cheques show my name as in it is printed on the cheque without my signature it is not accepted in any bank and therefore worthless, likewise Johnson's letter it is worthless.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2019 11:28PM by JLR2 »

JLR2

Re: Johnson has broken the law, fact.

• on: 19 Oct 2019 11:18PM
Another thought on things, as we have heard so often, like a stuck record, 'getting brexit done' well I ask folk to consider the driver changing a flat tyre on his car, he changes the wheel putting on a new tyre but is in such a hurry to get the job done he fails to check he has tightened the wheel nuts properly. Result (as happened to me some years back) he finds himself watching, as (in my case whilst driving down the M8 in Glasgow) the wheel comes off and rolls down the road.

Sure get Brexit done but get it done properly.
« Last Edit: 19 Oct 2019 11:24PM by JLR2 »

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 20 Oct 2019 06:12PM
One of the problems with the deal is that Northern Ireland is being treated differently from the other 3 nations of the UK.  Under the act of union all countries are equal and have equal rights but this cannot be true if there has to be import controls between Northern Ireland and rest of UK.   
What an absolute mess  >yikes<

JLR2

• on: 20 Oct 2019 09:45PM
"What an absolute mess" Aye Monic, but do you feel Johnson cares?  Personally I have the suspicion Johnson has a huge payday awaiting him from folk with serious money invested in a no deal brexit and it is this that has Johnson terrified of failing to get the UK out of the EU before the 1st of November.

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights

• on: 21 Oct 2019 08:35PM
He is not the only one, there was a report that Jacob Rees-Mogg personal fortune has increased to 7million

JLR2

• on: 22 Oct 2019 09:45AM
Monic I can't help but feel we are all having our pockets emptied by say street muggers whilst police officers tell us we just want it done. The Rees-Moggs and Johnsons of parliament are the police officers soon to be backed by the likes of Flint and Mann, these people know exactly what they are doing and who it is who is going to pay the cost of Brexit.

I believe many of Labour's MPs, those looking to support the government, are doing so purely to spite Corbyn, in Mann's case I think there is a chance he is behaving as he is doing because of his feelings about what he perceives as Corbyn's handling of issues to to with Israel. These people are die hard Blairites and no matter what damage caused to the UK through their actions they feel so long as they can effect the fall of Corbyn it'll all be worth it.

I have to say with regards to Brexit I can not myself really see how any government can square the circle of the customs union thing without seeing the UK losing Northern Ireland as without a hard border in NI Britain can't begin to do any free trade deals. To me the whole point of Britain leaving the EU was in order to enable the country to make such deals around the world and staying within the customer union makes free trade deals elsewhere impossible.

Putting things as I have just been doing regarding the free trade abilities of leaving the EU seems to me as straight-forward simple and plain for all the verbal, the shouting across the chamber of the House of Commons and elsewhere is pointless. It is a hard fact of life that without a hard border between Northern Ireland and Ireland Brexit is not possible, least not if Britain including NI is to leave the EU and begin making trade deals with other countries outwith the EU. I just wish an MP any MP would have the courage to stand up in Westminster and tell it like it is.

Until an MP finds that courage we will see the whole debate going on for way more than the 3 years of previous debate we have had. Dancing on the heads of pins might be good for MPs figures but it is getting nothing sorted out. Either Britain lets NI and Ireland reunify or it remains in the EU's customs union and if it remains in the customs union what was the point of the whole EU referendum vote in the first place? 
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2019 09:52AM by JLR2 »

ATurtle

• The Awesome Turtle Blog

• on: 27 Oct 2019 07:09PM
Though Johnson has sent a letter requesting a delay in Britain leaving the EU in not signing it he has in effect broken the law. 

I was always taught that sending a business letter without even a p.p. signature is an insult to the recipient and says that the sender is an unmannered idiot.  Oh, hang on, the last bit definitely.

Hopefully the EU send back the letter and say "Too bad, too late, Article 50 is hereby revoked and you can't leave!"
Tony.

"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability." - Robert M. Hensel

JLR2

• on: 28 Oct 2019 05:13PM
Looks to me like, as has been being said by Tory MPs, it is Parliament that sent the letter requesting a delay. Two thoughts come to my mind regarding this, first it was not Parliament that was required to send a letter but the Prime Minister of Britain and second, Johnson always looked to find a away (come a general election) of denying to would be voters that he ever sent the letter.

What I doubt either Johnson or Cummings expected was for Donald Tusk and the EU to accept this unsigned letter or give it official/legal status. The recent development where the LibDems and SNP made their offer of a GE on the 9th of December cheesed me off somewhat, the idea of trusting the liar that is Johnson is beyond the pale. The SNP, of which I am a member should take care to remember history and what happened the last time they were seen as helping, even if it was unintentional, the Tories. 

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 30 Oct 2019 11:21AM
And now we have a pre-Christmas General Election to look forward to.  Oh, joy...

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member

• on: 30 Oct 2019 09:05PM
Looking forward so much to this!!