Author Topic: It's that time of year again...  (Read 1974 times)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
It's that time of year again...
« on: 12 Dec 2019 09:32PM »
How you all doing in the lead-up to Christmas?  Are you festive fanatics or Grinches, and what sort of disability-related adjustments have you made to ensure you can survive the season?

And the inevitable question - what are you going to buy with your Christmas Bonus from the DWP this year?

...My 'reasonable adjustment' is to limit the amount of time I spend away from home - three consecutive nights is the max, as even though it's just self, Mum and Dad, my mental health requires 'alone time' after a few days with other people.  Not to mention *ahem* my bowels, which stutter to a standstill whenever I'm sharing a bathroom  >erm< Bet you really wanted to know that!

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Re: It's that time of year again...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2019 08:54AM »
 >bighugs< Right now Iím trying to drag my mood out of the cellar at the election result.
Feel physically sick at the thought of whatís next.   >crying<
Sorry I canít be upbeat right now,  >dove< to you all

ally

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2019 12:51PM »
Monic I feel much the same way.  Iíve had a virus for the last few days, and, the election result has laid me low.  My husband is at the airport picking up our family from Dubai.  Theyíre spending Christmas and new year with us.  Therefore, I need to plaster a welcoming smile on my face.  No kisses, as I donít want to spread my germs around.  I hope all on here have as good a Christmas as you can.  Letís hope things arenít as bad as they seem right now. We can but live in hope.  >hugs<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2019 10:28AM »
>bighugs< >bighugs< >bighugs<

One of our traditions is to cook Christmas Dinner on the day we are able to, so it often turns out being Christmas Eve because I don't want to risk the meat going out of date and being wasted. Hmmm actually the only thing that makes it Christmas Dinner is we have Brussel sprouts  >biggrin<

Norrin Radd

• Charter Member
  • Diamond member
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2019 12:10AM »
I'm having Christmas dinner at my mum's place. I'm thinking of making bacon jam as a gift for my non-veggie family.

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2019 08:19AM »
Ho,(expletive deleted,) Ho.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2019 05:05PM »
Your usual festive self, Lankou?  >lol<

Norrin, I had to read your post twice - bacon jam??

Ally, hope your virus has sodded off now and that you - and Monic - are feeling a little more in the seasonal mood now..

SunshineM, do you actually have turkey because if you do, it's a proper Christmas dinner as far as I'm concerned  >biggrin<

JLR2

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2019 09:53AM »
"Not to mention *ahem* my bowels, which stutter to a standstill whenever I'm sharing a bathroom  >erm< Bet you really wanted to know that!"

>erm< , how do I put it?  I feel I sort of know just what you are saying as it sounds much like what happens to me when I travel to Berlin. If I visit my family either leg of the trip using the bathroom is well neigh impossible, least beyond a quick p anything else is just not possible, even if I feel the need. From my leaving the hoose to Berlin I can't comfortably use some loos such as my family's or the loo on the aircraft and on my way back it is an absolute nightmare. Usually the routine that hits me is the knowing I have a need but it only makes itself possible once I've left the final bus down on the main street and start heading to the hoose, then it becomes 'walking like a duck time' once I reach the hoose, and fight like heck to get the door open and get into the loo, mother nature can at last return to some kind of normality.

All this that I've said is I believe because of the way many people have an aversion to the feeling they may be heard by others as they use the bathroom. Many houses these days are built with such thin internal walls it can feel awkward, least it does to me. Nobody wants to break wind and be heard to have done so and likewise no one likes the idea of others having to hear them as they make use of a bathroom. It can be especially bad late at night as the quietness then just seems to magnify every sound.

My bathroom issues really started some years back, I was simply, as many do, off to use the loo as it happened I had a friend sitting through in my living room and just as I was finishing answering my call of nature the friend in the living room made a comment (in direct relation to what I was doing) and that was it my troubles were started. Now I know fine that my friend meant her comment in a funny way but for me it felt embarrassing leading me to become virtually paranoid about not having anyone hearing my using a loo. So bad was my fear of such happening when I was first visiting Berlin I would actually visit a small coffee shop each morning and have a coffee, my intention was to make use of its loo. So often did I do this that the shop owner, I guess thinking of me as a good customer gave me a small sample bag of coffee beans (maybe 250grams) which I still have to this day in a small glass jar with a cork stopper along with a coffee sack which I use as a makeshift curtain over a cupboard.

I still have on going problems so far as using the loo goes and to some extent I worry that it might be prostate cancer linked but my posting this posting today is to make mention of the fact that many things in our lives can have deep lasting impacts on us even some things that many would not even notice. The effect on me of my friend's comment has been unintended by her but mentally it changed me and others through the way things can impact on them face similar struggles. It might be that it is the build up of many seemingly small incidents that have a far greater impact on our lives than we would ever have imagined.

On a brighter note, for those of us who find themselves sort of in a limbo so far as DWP assessments go and short of any changes in circumstances are likely to be left for a while before facing more of these nightmares again things can be a little better and in my case using my loo at home is something I can do naturally and without disturbing others.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas when it gets here :-)
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2019 10:04AM by JLR2 »

lankou

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2019 12:16PM »
Ho, (expletive deleted,) Ho.

JLR2

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2019 08:12PM »
Awe come oan man, it wisnae that funny :-)

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2019 09:31PM »
JLR, thank you for your honesty regarding 'the unmentionable' (our polite society can be so coy about toilet issues, but let's face it, we all have to go...)  It would seem I am not alone in having a 'bowel freeze' in other people's houses, though it's not the sound effects that concern me so much as the worry of other people wanting to use the bathroom while I'm in occupation.. Plus the alteration of usual routines, of course - and the significant change of diet!!

..this posting today is to make mention of the fact that many things in our lives can have deep lasting impacts on us even some things that many would not even notice. The effect on me of my friend's comment has been unintended by her but mentally it changed me and others through the way things can impact on them face similar struggles. It might be that it is the build up of many seemingly small incidents that have a far greater impact on our lives than we would ever have imagined.

Yes, sometimes all it takes is a random remark, not necessarily even meant in a spiteful way, and it can haunt us for years after if it's added to similar comments made in the past by those who maybe should have known better... anyway, I wish you a Christmas of not too difficult motions  ;-) and it does all sort itself out in the end, I find (the body will have its way!)

JLR2

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2019 05:19PM »
Talking of the unmentionables (Naw no the Tories)  another wee nightmare to do with this call of nature especially at this time of year I am reminded of is the Christmas/New Year party. I remembered, late on last night, of a situation I found myself in many years back when I was at a house party in Glasgow, the party involved many fellow shop workers from the 'Presto' on Glasgow's Anniesland Road. I found myself needing to make use of the loo, let's say for a serious purpose one for which a local tree would not suffice >yikes<  Unfortunately for me the house's loo was fully occupied at least 5/6 lassies chatting away to each other. For me it meant my party was over and I had to try to get back across the city to the family home. Not easy when you are in urgent need of a loo >crying<

I wonder how many others have found themselves in a similar situation, even where it involves the family home when there's a Hogmanay party being held?  I'm happy in a round about sort of way that for many years now I've not found myself in that situation as I avoid visiting Glasgow either for Christmas of the Bells and simply stay at home. I tend to sit up late anyway and once the Bells have come and gone I'll see if there are any calls from the family and then get off to my kip. It has been some years since my Dad would sit up for the Bells so there's less chance I'll hear from him till I'm back in Glasgow on my way to Berlin in February.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2019 04:27PM »
..I found myself needing to make use of the loo, let's say for a serious purpose one for which a local tree would not suffice >yikes< 

>lol<  very delicately put, I must say...

When you say 'the Bells', I assume you mean those that ring in the New Year? 

Off to Mum and Dad's soon, so I'll say now - in case their rural internet connection plays up more than usual - a very Happy Christmas to all Ouch posters and readers.  May you have the best one you possibly can  >star<

SteveX

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2019 06:44PM »
Hello all,  I'm just about ready to get a taxi to my mums, going to spend xmas with her and come home in the new year.

So until then, I hope you all have a happy or content christmas.  love to you all.   
Steve
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2019 06:48PM »
Merry Christmas to one and all.  I hope that you have as nice a day as is possible.  >star<