Author Topic: Wheelchairs  (Read 676 times)

Fiz

• Charter Member
Wheelchairs
« on: 13 Jan 2020 08:09AM »
I'm considering purchasing a wheelchair. It would be for me to use to get about occasionally as well as when I'm  with someone who can push. I'd like some advice on what to look for.

I have browsed guides online and feel that I need to choose non puncturing tyres despite the ride being less comfortable because I don't have anyone to help me mend punctures and what happens if you're out in it when a puncture occurs?

Sometimes my back is too painful for me to walk but I am worried that if I then revert to a wheelchair it might be as painful for my back propelling it myself? But I guess that I won't find that out until it happens. But I might be as stuck in the wheelchair as without if unable to propel myself due to pain but standing is excruciating and at least I would be sat down when otherwise there are often no places to sit when I reach the end of my rope with pain. So if stuck somewhere due to pain at least I'd always be seated. Can one usually find wheelchair accessible taxis? That would reassure me about ending up stuck somewhere though often I only take cards with me rather than cash and my rare instances of using taxis they've not accepted cards so I would need to be better prepared.

My daughter has often voiced her wish that I had a wheelchair as we're so limited in places we can go when I visit her because of the short distances that I can walk before it gets too painful to continue. I'm also worried that the person pushing me might end up straining themselves as I'm not light?

I'm worried about the weight of the wheelchair. It's going to have to be very light if there is any chance of me being able to get it in or out of the car though I won't need it at home so it could stay in the car and often there'll be someone at my destination who could get it out of the car and set it up for me.

I'm going on holiday with a friend to support her with her severe mental health issues, she's not been on holiday for years because of her health so is very excited about the holiday. She's physically able though so could help with the wheelchair hence me finally biting the bullet and considering purchasing my own chair because I think I will need it on holiday.

Any advice on manufacturers and other things to look out for appreciated too.

Thank you.

Frances

• Charter Member
Re: Wheelchairs
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2020 10:42AM »
Ryan and I both have wheelchairs provided by the NHS, We keep them in the shed as we don't need them everyday. When I came out of Hossy a couple of years ago , I used it more but not in the house,
It wouldn't fit through the hall so I would have to move if I ever need it indoors !!! >crying<

Sunshine Meadows

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2020 09:38AM »
How long is it before your holiday and do you have a budget to spend? I ask because if there is enough time I think you should get in touch with your local Wheelchair Service there is more information on this link www.mstrust.org.uk/a-z/wheelchair-services#nhs-wheelchair-services. If they do wheelchair vouchers you are allowed to have the amount the wheelchair they would buy for you costs to go towards the cost of a new wheelchair. Back in around 2010 I got £865 towards a chair that I bought from Bromakin that cost £1400. Back then I was more able to drive and needed a light weight chair that came apart easily so I got one of these www.bromakin.co.uk/index.php/products/wheelchairs/lightweight-rigid/bromakin-titanium-xl which I still use with the Powertrike.

When I lived up north I was allocated a folding chair in the late 1990s and it was okay but difficult to move once folded and there was no way I could safely get it into the car. Also the foot rests were at a different angle to those of rigid chairs so the 'footprint' of the wheelchair was longer. I find solid tyres too bumpy and jarring on on ordinary footpaths and the physical feedback increases my spasms and pain so I have airfilled tyres. You could get those and put the anti punture goo in them.

If you are going to be somewhere that will have a lot of walking so for you a lot of being pushed about you might want to look into renting an electric wheelchair. 
:-)

ally

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2020 07:39PM »
My wheelchair was free from the social services.  To date, over the years, Iíve had three.  The one I use at the moment is a dash.  Itís light weight, and, easy to fold.  However, itís not self propelling, as we would be unable to get it into the boot of the car.  I also have a mobility scooter, which means I have more independence when shopping in malls etc. Thereís always mobility scooters for sale second hand if you shop around, you could get one quite cheaply. 

The only problem I have with mobility scooters is getting up and down kerbs.  Where I live, thereís not many drop kerbs.  Also, due to the lack of car park spaces, we have inconsiderate neighbours who either park on the pavements, or, half on the the kerb/pavements and road.  Therefore, Iím unable to go out in the mobility scooter independently near by. If we do go out, and, Iím in the wheelchair, my husband often has to push me on the road, due to the above,  Therefore, Iíd consider asking the social services to assess you for a wheelchair, and, try using one first before parting with your money.  You should be fitted for one, which the social services will do for free, to make sure the wheelchair is comfortable, and, suitable for your needs.

Big Muff

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2020 12:22PM »
In my area wheelchair services will only give a chair if needed both indoors and outdoors so maybe better off trying Social Services . If it is just for occasional use when out it might be best just to buy a cheap folding chair off the net -even Argos sell them !. Nearly all are basic copies of the classic Everest & Jennings with with the addition of quick release whhels .
PS check weight before purchasing .

gus

• Diamond member
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2020 12:59PM »
I have this wheelchair https://www.careco.co.uk/item-s-wc01035/wc-wc01-self-propelled-wheelchairs/g-lite-pro-self-propelled-wheelchair/
The footplates are removable so are the seat and back rest covers. The main wheels can be removed with the press of a button in the centre of the wheel. The handles fold down and the arm rests are adjustable it is light weight and has puncture proof tyres. This wheelchair can support 135kg and comes in different seat widths.

I had one from social services but was far too heavy so returned it.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2020 01:04PM by gus »

Fiz

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2020 01:26PM »
Thanks everyone. I ended up buying a self propelled wheelchair for a reasonable price as I didn't think I would manage the holiday without one. Of course now the holiday is cancelled due to Covid-19 so the wheelchair is still in its box partly blocking my hall! I need to sort out my shed so that I can store it. Although I have bought an adjustable height and width table ideal for use with wheelchairs and had thought that I could use both in the kitchen because I didn't have a table. But I opened the box to the table and was stunned by the amount of pieces and know putting it together is was beyond me. So that will have to wait a few months until somebody can help me with it.