The Corona Virus 2020 - theories, expectations and practical tips

• 14 Replies

Sunshine

I have been wanted to start this thread for a few days but I am worried about causing people to panic, then I remembered panic can be a normal human response so maybe see this thread as a safe space to panic

I am a child of the 1970s and have vivid memories of the plague drama that was show on BBC TV - Survivors. I don't remember there being a single disabled person in it. Anyway that along with the lists my sister used to make in case of nuclear war, plague or The Day of the Triffids means my response to the fear of societal bread down is to plan and act on those plans. One thing that was not available in the 1970s was online shopping so I have made a extra supermarket order which included bottled water and batteries. It seems like a good idea apart from the plastic in the bottles being bad for the environment.

Do you think the Corona Vrus is going to reach our shores and what do you have to say about it?

lankou

• Charter Member

Do you think the Corona Vrus is going to reach our shores and what do you have to say about it?

Given the incubation period is up to 14 days, (possibly more.) I suspect it is already here.

Sunshine

Given the incubation period is up to 14 days, (possibly more.) I suspect it is already here.

Me too, so I have been thinking no more online shopping soon and just pick up things like bread and mil locally.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
'Survivors' was great, parents and I watched much of it on DVD about 12 years ago.  Have to say I'm not overly concerned at the moment about the Corona Virus, the authorities seem to have it in hand so to speak...   

Sunshine

I have the Survivor series on DVD too but have not watched it in a while. I do wonder if I am the only one here who his the theme tune for the tv program The Good Life and thinks of the Survivors with some apprehension. Survivors was on after The Good Life and it was back when there were only three tv channels available.

I am less concerned about the Corona Virus causing my death directly than I am about the affects of a lot of key workers being ill.

Maybe I should have made the title for this thread more general and included things like Global Warning or maybe I am i n the wrong queue  >bighugs<

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Im not really bothered about Corona Virus after all I don't know that I'll meet too many folk from China in the West of Scotland, the ones more bothered will be the highland tour operators.
I get more het up when one of the mums I work with comes in feeling hellish and says junior is off school with vomiting and diarrhoea that they might have  >yikes<  Im like so why are you in when we have to share a desk and your probably contagious?  Oh but I have work that needs to be done, so work from home and keep your germs to yourself.

or am I being selfish?

ally

In in Dubai visiting family at moment.  Dubai has always been a bit of a snowflake country.  Thereís four cases of the virus here, but, theyíre in hospital.  The reports says, theyíll be released in about 14 days or so.  Since then, thereís been panic buying of masks.  We went to the mall a few days ago.  Many people were wearing masks there, also at the local small shop.  Weíre keeping away from malls right now.  I find it scary, I canít lip read anyone wearing a mask.  Also, due to the above  Iím wondering, if we should buy them too. Or, is something going on, we donít know about?  Iím going to use the masks my DIL has for the airport, when we fly home.  Apparently, Koreans use them to visit patients in hospitals.  Itís not good, but, the virus has pushed the Brexit, Johnson, and, Harry and Meghan into the background as far as the news is concerned.  I hate things happening thatís totally out of your control.

Monic, youíre not being selfish.  When I worked in the Dwp, we were only allowed two weeks sick, regardless.  After that, you received an oral warning.  Therefore, employees came into work in some bad states.  Iíve seen people fainting, or, collapsing, due to the sickness rules.  Of course, due to the air conditioning, and, sauna like working conditions, germs spread like wild fire.

Sunshine

or am I being selfish?

No way are you being selfish. I am shocked that the Mum you work with did not prefer to work from home after all who was looking after junior  >yikes< When she said I have work that needs to be done was she talking about not wanting to let clients down or having a work load she need to complete because a manager expected it?

It is strange how diseases like the Norovirus have become accepted as going to happen every winter.

Sunshine

Ally,

I had not thought about people not being able to lip read what people are saying when they are wearing masks. There are stories in the news over here in the UK about people panic buying masks and that masks are now out of stock in many shops. 

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/30/panic-buying-hits-britain-shops-sell-face-masks-hand-wash-12153498/

From what I understand masks are not even that good and stopping the spread of the Corona Virus because ones like the N95 mask stop being effective protection once moisture from breathing is trapped in the mask. Mask do help prevent people who are already sick spreading contamination when they cough or sneeze.

I agree with you about the headlines the virus story is creating pushing other stories like what Boris Johnson and the Government into the background. 
In some call centres in the UK sickness rules are even worse than they were when you worked for the DWP - three occasions and a maximum of ten days. You are right some people come to work in bad states. I wish we had a government that cared about such things and that we had much stronger labour laws to protect workers.

Air conditioning and saunas  >yikes< One small advantage some sick and disabled people is that they can stay at home and reduce risk of infection.

SteveX

okay, I'm aware this isn't going to sound right but I'd like to assure you I have nothing against the Chinese at all.

Why do these things always come from China?   You hear of a new virus or whatever and nine times out of ten (if not ten), it originates in China.  I guess there must be a valid scientific reason but I don't know it.
Member of POMMAS

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Hi Steve

this is a pure guess but regulation in China and probably India is very lax so the theory is that this is cross contamination that occurred at a food market, an ill animal passed on an infection to a person, that could be that the animal was bleeding and the person ingested the blood, either by a cut or consuming spoiled meat.  The person then became ill but stayed working at the market and passed the infection onto other people. 

when you look at the way these markets are run its fairly easy to cross contaminate.  I think its the volume of people as well that influences this
that's my tuppence worth

Sunshine

Steve,

Why do these things always come from China?
Good question  >thumbsup<

I agree with what Monic said about live animals being sold at markets, cross infection and the volume of people. I wonder if the movement of people from the countryside to mega cities also plays a part. In smaller populations that have little movement outside a specific area people get a sort of herd resistance which can mean they fight off certain local infections but not necessarily something newly arrived. It is like when the Europeans went to the New World and so many Indigenous people died of things like smallpox.

I read something about the way people in India and China and other Asian countries keep live stock at home and how that can further add to the biological soup of an area. The thing is though over in developed countries like the UK there would be more opportunity for contamination if we did not have an industrialised farming industry that means many people never see live animals before they become meat. 

The fact that the Corona Virus was identified before tens of thousands of people dies does mean China have things in place to monitor public health or maybe not. Hmm I am not sure .. does anyone know how the virus was initially identified?

SashaQ

• Charter Member
Legionnaire's Disease originated in the USA, as did Norovirus https://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A87917827 so these things spring up wherever they find good conditions...

Sunshine

Good link Sasha  >thumbsup<

Other diseases come to mind like Foot and Mouth (particularly the UK outbreak), plague in the west coast states of America, and also measles (including the antivaxxer aspect). 

I am trying to better understand why viruses originating in China or Asia in general seem to get more press coverage all I have so far is the fact they are more people so there is more potential for it to spread quickly, causing deaths and possibly more importantly affecting countries infrastructure and ability to function. This means some viruses coming out of places like China present a greater perceive threat especially when they are new.

In my opinion newspapers like the Daily Mail have allowed all sorts of discriminatory comments to remain published on their website which can't have helped the situation over here. There was an item on BBC2's Victoria Derbyshire show about people who look Chinese being victimised and bullied eg people suggesting those people are going to infect others with the Corona Virus. 

Does anyone know if Asia and especially China has a higher rate of viruses that evolve from those that exist in in animal populations eg bats, pigs and birds?