Author Topic: The Corona Virus 2020 - theories, expectations and practical tips  (Read 3270 times)

Sunshine

Steve,

Well done for phoning  >hugs<  I am sorry the person you talked to was so unhelpful.

Monic,

>hugs<  and thank you clap clap clap clap clap clap clap or should I say ding ding dink ding ding because I can't clap so use a pan lid and wooden spoon instead.

It it still does amaze me how unhelpful some callers can be when they call you to get help. I think JLR made a good point but maybe many of the people who are so hard to help are often the same ones who don't vote. I realise some will be panicking and many will be having to ask for help for the first time after having the floor beneath them when suddenly their expected income was gone. Hopefully it will make the people who were not engaging their brain when topics like social justice came up.

JLR2

"3 more weeks and my colleagues and I will have our own locked ward  >lol<"

Seems to me the this government's entire cabinet, including the hiding PM, should be in a locked ward now.

Fiz

• Charter Member
Getting more scary by the minute isn't it?  jeez  >crying<

There's one thing though, with all the shops being forced to close, the DFS sale is finally over  >lol<
>lol<  rofl

Fiz

• Charter Member
Having tried googling the question without any success I thought I'd ask if anyone here on Ouch might have any idea. My question was why the coronavirus travel from east to west across the world? What brought this question to my mind was as I looked on line and watched the telly no one ever seemed to explain why the virus spread as it did. It is one thing to link folk travelling from China back to say Italy, the German skiers who returned to Germany from their ski trip to Italy or folk returning to the UK from Italy or Germany and then those going onto the USA via New York but then didn't anyone fly from China to San Francisco or Los Angels?

If the virus is carried person to person surely we would have seen a more even spread of the virus with it hitting places such as New York and Rome just as hard and at pretty much the same time, no? Many carrying the virus could have travelled from China through London's Heathrow to New York or even San Francisco within 24hrs of those returning to the UK but we haven't seen the timings of the outbreaks matching up. 
International travel. Mainly by air. Millions fly around the world daily. I was reading a forum on cruises during the month of April and I was stunned to read new posts from US citizens write that they had just returned from their Mediterranean cruise having flown back from Italy via Heathrow and they'd had no problems at Heathrow with no checks on entering UK soil and transferring terminals to get their outbound flights back to the US sometimes after spending the night at the airport not even having a temperature check. Our country still has no checks on people coming in! There has been much info on how long the virus stays alive for on various surfaces, the longest quoted as being 72 hours but experts say it could be longer so if anyone touches a surface up to 72 hours after someone carrying the virus they can catch it. This virus is caught far more easily than flu, it's far stronger and far more virulent than flu and I feel frustrated when I hear of the two being compared. Their only connection is they're both viruses that affect the lungs. Their strength and virulence are incomparable.
Had we shut our airports to all but our citizens returning home and insisting on them self isolating at home for 14 days following their flight home back in January thousands more people would be alive now. Boris however was playing golf.

Fiz

• Charter Member
This has been an interesting thread to read, all nine pages of it. From way back in January to when people weren't worried (not many Chinese visitors here) right through to now. 

I haven't been well this year mentally so was totally unaware of Covid-19 in January or possibly even most of February. I do have recollections of it in March before my OD on the 6th. My first reminder of its existence was on the 16th when I was discharged when the doctor told me about my adrenal glands not functioning and me therefore having no immunity. She told me that I'd have trouble fighting a cold right now so it was very important to shield myself as much as possible to reduce the opportunity of catching Covid. She also told me that they had tested me for Covid and the test was negative. At that stage they were only testing inpatients in hospitals. Unless you were elderly and going to be discharged to a care home in which case they didn't test you. 

I feel very guilty for taking up an ICU bed and a ventilator despite it being early days and I suspect there was a ventilator free and available. I always feel guilty about how much I cost the NHS and the country though so I guess my first self inflicted ICU stay has piled that on thick. 

My daughter who many here will know qualified as a nurse a couple of years back was successful at gaining promotion (I am SO proud of her) and she is now a sister in an A&E unit and I worry about her every day through the day. I verbalised my worry to her and asked her if she could send me a quick text once daily to let me know she's okay and I'll take okay as being symptom free and she did that for a while but now has personal problems and has withdrawn and is hunkering down to work her way through that so isn't in regular contact with me or the boys any more. I just have to worry alone despite me trying to tell myself that worry is a waste of now and changes nothing. Hum. She had one swab test within a week of the tests FINALLY being started. She was negative but a few of her colleagues were positive and had to isolate. The result had taken five days to come back and those positives had been working with patients and been around colleagues for those five days. My daughter said that any contact with patients is in full PPE so the patients treated by those staff were not at risk, but they weren't in PPE when around colleagues during the shift. Amazingly none of those colleagues who tested positive ever had any symptoms, they didn't feel even the slightest under the weather. The media is implying that people can be asymptomatic before symptoms appear but they haven't said that people may have Covid and show no symptoms at all. It's good news heard immunity wise though. My daughter had not been offered another swab four weeks later, I have no idea if she has had a second swab test at any stage. Many front line workers like her positive colleagues may have had Covid and recovered while all the time asymptomatic during those four + weeks of course. To me, a test that takes five days to get results has little point.

I am struggling with the social isolation of shielding at home and living alone. I am normally fine living alone and not lonely so this has made me realise that my weekly peer support group and the 5 or 6 times a year that I managed to get myself to church were so important to me mentally. It makes me sad to think that there are so many others struggling alone with no contact with anyone due to this pandemic. But maybe I am just not well and that is part of it. And no face to face support from professionals. 

With regard to lockdown, I think Boris was an idiot to ease restrictions, it horrifies me to see the crowds on beaches and knowing they're not even breaking rules. I had thought that we would see case numbers rise hugely after this easing but it's not obvious yet. The press don't seem to realise that number reporting lapses at weekends so we see accurate daily numbers Tuesdays to Fridays. Either that or it's sheer coincidence that numbers of cases and deaths have been much higher on Tuesdays to Fridays every single week of the reporting in England!

And I don't care what Cummings did, except that he should apologise and admit he was wrong, but Boris backing him angers me. That he would stick up for his drinking buddy rather than save lives by telling the public that what Cummings did was wrong and that people MUST stay home and isolate if they have symptoms. On the news this morning it was suggested that Boris isn't a strong enough leader to lead this country alone without Cummings support, that he 100% needs him to help him run the country so he has chosen this route. Fair enough Boris, don't sack Cummings, keep him, but flipping well save lives by telling the public that this sort of behaviour is not acceptable and alter the wording of the guidelines to make this 100% clear to people so people have no excuse to opt themselves out. Boris in my opinion has put people's lives at risk to save a mate. 

Auntie, I note your Mum is in a care home. I hope she is okay and the home she is in remains free of Covid. Awful the way the government treated older people as lesser citizens before the media changed that.