The Corona Virus 2020 - theories, expectations and practical tips

• 66 Replies

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I don't know about that, but I do know that one can hardly turn on the news right now without in-depth discussion on the wretched virus...Already, selfish and stupid people are panic-buying  >steam<  stripping supermarket shelves of stuff like toilet rolls and long-life milk, what's the matter with them?

huhn

my point is, is just a flu without vaccines, that why it is dangerous. but one point i have to say, just lost a young friend to the normal flu, so even young fit people can be also hit. this year i got the flu, sorry to say i am  the only one without the shot in the family, i had 3 days in bed without moving, not even loo was possible, so in the end i stayed 10 days in bed , i was so sick, nothing i was able to do. so i think with the normal care we have to live and hope the a vaccine comes out or that it is a one off  like some other flu  types in the summer. i do not panic. i hope we are not hit. enjoy the life it is to short to be miserable  . good night to every one.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
I'd like to address the issue about how much people buy.

What I want to mention is how different people buy different amounts of stuff normally.  For many years, I took my parents to the supermarket once a fortnight by car.  They bought odd bits and bobs in between, but almost all their groceries, toiletries etc. were bought that way.

Sometimes I'd go away with the army.  If it was for more than a couple of weeks, they'd go to the supermarket by themselves in a taxi, but if it was just a couple of weeks, they'd be pretty much ok until I got home except maybe picking up the odd loaf of bread and a bottle of milk on the way home from work.

A little while back, I 'stockpiled' for Brexit.  I told a friend about it the other day and we laughed.  You see, I do what I think of as a 'big' supermarket shop at erratic intervals and do most of my grocery shopping a bit at a time 2-4 times a week.

My 'stockpiled' food is in crates in my kitchen.  It seems like a lot.  But as I pointed out to my friend, if I'd put it away in the cupboards where my mother kept her food, it would have fitted in comfortably.

The point I'm making in my usual longwinded way is that there are lots of people who have a bit of spare food and toiletries etc. in the house anyway, and there are lots of people that don't. 

So if someone who normally only buys a bit here, a bit there, on what in manufacturing is called ordering/buying on a 'just in time' basis, if they were to go out and buy a month's supply of something, they'd only have as much as the person that shops fortnightly and has a couple of weeks' spare in the house.

(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
As for looroll, there's something that seems to be being missed by a lot of people I talk with, which is what you use it for. What am I on about?  Well, it's sold for wiping your bum, but people also use it for wiping noses.  Yes, if the government tells us (as it keeps doing) to cough into a 'tissue' and immediately throw it away, for an awful lot of people that means coughing into some bogroll and throwing it away.

Indeed, for me it came as a surprise to realise that so few people use bogroll to blow their noses on or cough into.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

lankou

• Charter Member
I have had difficulty getting hand sanitizer get. (Refund for non  delivery.) I have ordered from another supplier just now on 24 hour delivery.

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Sunny, when I mentioned 'panic buyers', I didn't have in mind those people who might buy in bulk as part of a normal, more infrequent shop - that's fair enough, not everyone goes to the supermarket weekly for varying reasons!

Must say, I prefer a nice soft balm-infused tissue to blow my nose into rather than loo roll, but each to their own  ;-)

I have had difficulty getting hand sanitizer get. (Refund for non  delivery.) I have ordered from another supplier just now on 24 hour delivery.

That doesn't surprise me - Dad had trouble just getting a bar of normal soap this morning (and the toilet roll aisle was completely empty.  As the checkout operator commented when I was there yesterday, to the best of his knowledge the coronavirus doesn't cause diarrhoea..)

huhn

from friday all schools and  universities are closed in cyprus for 1 week
it is already scary here without tourists, no business and it is totenstill ( death quiet) , how we say in german. 

SteveX

I don't mind saying this is scaring me big time now, especially with all my health problems, age on top of that and then my mum who's in her 70s.  very worrying indeed.
Member of POMMAS

lankou

• Charter Member
I don't mind saying this is scaring me big time now, especially with all my health problems, age on top of that and then my mum who's in her 70s.  very worrying indeed.

I have got to the sod it stage and my wife and I are going to Brittany next Sunday for two weeks.
(We are taking a PPE box with us, Personal Protection Equipment.)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Its a flu epidemic and while I know people with a compromised immune system are scared we all need to remain calm and sensible.
I clean the church and am struggling to find hand soap, I need a minimum of 6 bottles of hand soap and cant find any in the supermarkets,  there will be visitors to the church this weekend and at least 200 folk will be through the doors so if I cant find hand soap there will be complaints.  Its getting to the stage Im going to ask the congregation to bring some soap so I have enough.

Steve - you rarely go out - is that right?  as for your mum as long as she isn't hanging around folk with the cold we can hope she is okay   >hugs<
Monic

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Belated response to Kizzy - my apologies if what I wrote seemed to put words in your mouth or misrepresent what you were saying.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
I'm struggling with the ever more ridiculous handwashing instructions.  I was already struggling with the NHS official 'wash often' and 'wash frequently'.  How often is 'often'?  How frequently is 'frequently'?

They're now also using the term 'regularly' as are various media outlets.  I don't find that any better.

The ultimate now is the Guardian's Youtube channel with a short video in which their health correspondant says we should wash our hands 'all the time'.

Oh, did I mention I'm a compulsive and illogical handwasher who'd just managed to make some serious progress in handwashing less often?  My usual illustration of the illogicality of it is that my kitchen door knob is 'dirty' and my front door latch is 'clean'.  There isn't actually any logic to it.  Each item or place mentally classified one way or the other originally had a logic, it just becomes daft.

Now I'm bombarded with all these messages, I'm struggling.  My hands are chapped, cracked and bleeding.

This isn't "eek coronavirus" handwashing, it's compulsive handwashing triggered by all these OTT instructions.

Oh well, it takes my mind off other stuff and at least I can laugh at how dotty I am.

wayne333

I'm 60 and one of my illnesses is Type 2 Diabetes,which weakens the Immune System. So,
 I'm seen as being 'At Risk', (of Dying), if I get the Coronavirus. My Local GP's Surgery, sent
 me a Text, yesterday. It warned me that I'm at risk, and advised me to keep away from other
 people, stay indoors, and if I live with anyone, I'm to stay at least 6 Feet away from them!
 They also say that I must wash my hands - at least 5 times a Day - for at least 20 Seconds,
 each time.

In the meantime, Boris Johnson is advising Families, to allconfine themselves, to their
 Homes, if even just one of the Family, so much as has a cough!

I'm supposed to be having Council Work Men, in my Flat, next Wednesday and Thursday, to put a
 Sprinkler System in. It was arranged 2 Weeks ago. However, as Boris is advising Workers, to stay
 at Home, I no longer know, if any such Appointments will go ahead. Everything seems to be falling
 apart, for all of - everywhere...

Will we end up being unable to go Shopping? They have closed all, except the Chemists and Food Stores,
 in Italy and Denmark. Will it happen here? What about if a person dares to blow their nose, or sneeze, or
cough, in a Shop? Will the Shop  impose an instant 'Ban', on that person? If a person goes to see their GP,
with a Cold, or Chest Infection, will the GP refuse to let them leave, and 'phone for an Ambulance, so that
person can be forced into Hospital, for Weeks - whether they like it or not? All because there is such a huge
fear, of people, who may, (or may not), have the Coronavirus?

« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2020 05:11AM by wayne333 »

lankou

• Charter Member

SteveX

Its a flu epidemic and while I know people with a compromised immune system are scared we all need to remain calm and sensible.
I clean the church and am struggling to find hand soap, I need a minimum of 6 bottles of hand soap and cant find any in the supermarkets,  there will be visitors to the church this weekend and at least 200 folk will be through the doors so if I cant find hand soap there will be complaints.  Its getting to the stage Im going to ask the congregation to bring some soap so I have enough.

Steve - you rarely go out - is that right?  as for your mum as long as she isn't hanging around folk with the cold we can hope she is okay  >hugs<
Monic

Yeah I only go out when I really have to, my mum does go out every morning to the shops and I cannot convince her to go out less frequently although I have a minor victory as she was going to a show this weekend and she's now decided to stay home.
Member of POMMAS