Author Topic: The Corona Virus 2020 - theories, expectations and practical tips  (Read 4152 times)

Monic1511

• Moderator Welfare Rights
Hi Steve
the going out daily can be a routine to get the papers and some folk go stir crazy if they have to stay indoors too long.
My work now insists we take laptop, phone, case work home very night even when we have to be back the next day - I find this infuriating as my bag now weighs about 20 pounds and is like carting a young child about.  if I moan they'll only offer me a trolly

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Re. Wayne's doctor's advice "They also say that I must wash my hands - at least 5 times a Day - for at least 20 Seconds,
 each time."

A giggle, maybe?  How often I normally wash my hands.  Scroll on by if this is boring for you (no offence taken).

Say I have an 'ordinary' day for me.  Let's say mostly at home, also go to an exercise class.  Hmmm, how often do I wash my hands...

Every time I go to the loo, and I get up at least once a night, so that'll be about 8 times. 
Loo once outside the house - wash before and after, running total 10
Before each meal or snack (and boy do I snack), let's say at least 15 times, running total 25.
Say five bits of housework, running total 30
Wash as part of ordinary bedtime and getting up wash/shower, add 2, running total 32
Wash when getting in house, running total 33
Wash after locking up doors at bedtime, running total 34

Alcohol gel - sanitising
Catch bus each way to class - add 2, running total 2
Before and after class - add 2, running total 4
Pop into shop or use ATM, say 2 activities before and after, add 4, running total 8
Shake hands with neighbour/acquaintance, add 1, running total 9
Touch traffic crossing signal button, add 2, running total 11

So that's a minimum of 55 washings or sanitisings per day, and it goes haywire if I go on a housework or house maintenance binge.

It wouldn't be odd if it hit 100 times in a day.

In all seriousness, I knew it had got out of hand, but I'd still thought 'normal' would be at least 20-30 times a day.

However, the contrast between my concept of normal and that advice shows I'm right (looks smug) about my views about how crazy government advice to wash 'often', 'frequently' and 'regularly' is.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine

>bighugs< infection free cyber hugs.

There was a item on the news earlier talking about why people started buying so much toilet paper that basically said that people buying more escalated as the shelves became more empty- a sort of panic buy. I buy toilet rolls when they are on offer so already and enough for a good while. What Wayne said about being made to do things or not being allowed to do things is interesting because I doubt there is enough resources to force able quarantine people, and also I think the reaction of people in shops ect will be determined by what becomes acceptable locally. I live in a very friendly town in the Midlands where people say hello to one another and chat in the street and while that might happen a bit less I dont think it will stop.

I am hand washing more but not to excess and I can see how it would create a struggle for people with OCD. I guess information on coping with that can be found online, my none profession thoughts were firstly try to be the best parent for yourself that you can be eg if you were looking after a child washing their hands overly much what would you do. Secondly the supply of liquid soap is limited so best to slow down a bit if you are using a lot.

Lankou,

I have some hand sanitizer it smells of bubble gum I could send you some if you like. I know it would mean you letting me have your address which is not something I would usually advocate but we are not living in our usual circumstances. I know what you mean about the sod it stage. Mr Sunshine had to go to Wales again and this time I put the dogs in kennels and to my surprise and relief I did not end up overly checking the house was safely locked up, nor did I jump at every noise through the night.

wayne333

From what I've read, from Monday, UK Police will be allowed to Arrest anyone who they 'suspect' may have the Virus,
if they see them in the Street, or in other places, (Shops? Cinemas? Theatres? Pubs? Clubs? Bingo?).

Also, there is a 'Panic Buying' of Toilet Rolls, that is causing Stores to run out. So, now a Man in Harringay, has been
'Mugged' for one of the Toilet Rolls, that he'd just bought in a Savers Shop!

Someone made a Joke about the Toilet Roll obsession. He said that we can't be far off a time, when Quiz Show Hosts
are saying things like; 'Congratulations Jenny! You've Won the Pack of Toilet Rolls! Bad Luck Danny! You've Won the
2 Week Holiday to Italy!'...

« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2020 08:07PM by wayne333 »

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
Belated response to Kizzy - my apologies if what I wrote seemed to put words in your mouth or misrepresent what you were saying.

No apologies required, Sunny, you were just adding an extra valid point, is all!

Someone made a Joke about the Toilet Roll obsession. He said that we can't be far off a time, when Quiz Show Hosts
are saying things like; 'Congratulations Jenny! You've Won the Pack of Toilet Rolls! Bad Luck Danny! You've Won the
2 Week Holiday to Italy!'..

>lol< I like it...Seems we are all going to need our sense of humour in the coming weeks.  I sure don't know about this forthcoming recommendation for elderly people (and those with respiratory conditions) to stay at home for goodness knows how long - there are going to be a lot of practical problems to overcome, not to mention what Monic said about people going stir-crazy if confined indoors  >erm<

lankou

• Charter Member
After the first two lots of hand sanitisers I ordered got lost/stolen before delivery. (I was refunded.) The third has just arrived.

SteveX

Mugged for toilet rolls?

You know we are living in 2020 and supposed to be so advanced when really we are not, the general public are mostly uneducated selfish scumbags who only care about "me me me", the Thatcher legacy.

I cannot believe society is on the edge of breaking down after one problem, sure it's a huge one but we should be helping each other not behaving like cavemen. 

Perhaps humans are the true infestation on our beautiful planet, an asteroid should do a dinosaur on us and wipe us out, it's what we deserve.  around 200,000 years of evolution and we still behave like this.  I'm disgusting.
Member of POMMAS

KizzyKazaer

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member
I don't think humanity is infested with so many 'bad apples' that we all need to be exterminated, Steve!  Most people are sensible and have regard to their fellow human beings, it's just that a situation like this can bring out the worst in those who already happen to be selfish and inconsiderate...Doing weekly shop today (which I dread now) I had to grin wryly at the toilet roll aisle.  Completely and utterly cleared.  And the store was packed - could hardly wait to get home.  How many more weeks have we of this??

SteveX

I don't think humanity is infested with so many 'bad apples' that we all need to be exterminated, Steve!  Most people are sensible and have regard to their fellow human beings, it's just that a situation like this can bring out the worst in those who already happen to be selfish and inconsiderate...Doing weekly shop today (which I dread now) I had to grin wryly at the toilet roll aisle.  Completely and utterly cleared.  And the store was packed - could hardly wait to get home.  How many more weeks have we of this??

It's going to last a long time isn't it.   and well, I visit my mum weekly but now I'm not sure I should go or not. I do want to see her and I value our time together but then if I was infected and passed it onto her I would be utterly devastated  ..but then if I stay home it's going to be months and it our age and with our problems I might never see her again.

it's really a tough one.
Member of POMMAS

auntieCtheM

• Charter Member
  • Super Hero Member
If I were you Steve I would keep visiting her.

lankou

• Charter Member

Lankou,

I have some hand sanitizer it smells of bubble gum I could send you some if you like. I know it would mean you letting me have your address which is not something I would usually advocate but we are not living in our usual circumstances. I know what you mean about the sod it stage. Mr Sunshine had to go to Wales again and this time I put the dogs in kennels and to my surprise and relief I did not end up overly checking the house was safely locked up, nor did I jump at every noise through the night.

My order of hand sanitiser was delivered on Monday.

Sunshine

Lankou >thumbsup<

Steve

I agree with Auntie.

Also does you Mum know much about apps like What's App Messenger, it's better than phone messaging because sending pictures is free. You don't have to join groups and can use it on a one to one individual basis.

huhn

bad news, complete lock down, today short visit to my little one and then we see when we see each other again
my big girl is also not more moving around. she is missing her walks in the park.

Sunny Clouds

• Charter Member
Hugs, Huhn, and all others that need them.

You seem to make so much effort to make sure your girls are ok and now this.  It must be difficult.

As a general thing about what people are up against, I think there's a lot of nastiness out there at the moment about why anyone might be upset or behaving in a way that others think is unnecessary or lacking common sense or overreacting or whatever, and I can't help but think that a lot of the stuff I read is written by people who don't have practical problems to deal with. 

A little thing - hoarding.  Ok, so shelves are empty in some shops and that's a genuine problem.  At the same time, with messy government information here in the UK (and probably in a number of other parts of the world) is it any surprise if people try to make sure they're going to be ok?

Here in the UK, the government's been vaguely saying it'll be telling people over 70 and people with certain conditions to self-isolate for 14 weeks, but not saying when it'll start or exactly who it'll affect.  (Even now, government advice is inconsistent.) 

Then if people stock up on basics, others are horrified.  But the people expressing horror are, as I see it, mostly people who take it for granted they can order stuff online, keep in touch with people online.  I looked up some figures.  In the UK, in 2018 around half of all households with at least one person over 65 had no internet connection.  There will be more online now but I bet at least a quarter of over-65s are still in a household that's not online.  Obviously, there are also younger people without internet access as well, I just pick that example to make my point.

I come across people screaming about other people's lack of 'common sense'.  Hmmm, well that can get harder if you've got certain mental problems ranging from low IQ to psychosis, but even if you're mentally functioning 'normally', things seem different from different perspectives. 

There's also people's notion of 'hoarding'.  If you usually go shopping (or get your shopping delivered) about once a fortnight for the main stuff, and keep maybe a week's worth of most stuff in the house on top of that, then it may not compute that there are lots of people out there that usually buy a little bit here, a little bit there as they go along.  If all the people that only buy a little at a time that suddenly go out and buy three weeks' worth, the shelves are empty, but in many cases (not all) the people scorning them the most are those that could survive two or three weeks without a trip to the shops and maybe longer. 

I'm not saying there isn't also absurd stockpiling - there is - I'm just saying I believe a lot of this extra buying isn't massive stockpiling relative to the politicians and journalists being sniffy about it.

When Brexit stockpiling was discussed elsesite, someone pointed out that in some countries and communities it's normal to keep spares in case of emergency/crisis/disaster.  Someone linked to a German government document about what to keep in your house in case of emergency (not just what I'll call groceries but also things like spare batteries, safety items etc.) and someone else linked to information from the Church of the Latter Day Saints.  I 'stockpiled' then (including loopaper).

But as I said to a friend recently, although if you looked in my kitchen, you'd see a load of plastic crates with food in, if I took it out of the crates, rearranged what's in my cupboards (because I like to spread out my cooking utensils and cleaning materials to fill them) and put the stuff in the cupboards my late mother used for food, it would almost all disappear from sight.

So what for me was gradual 'stockpiling' I felt almost guilty about is not much more than my parents would have had anyway.  Ok, so I'd brexit-piled a lot of loopaper (because it's an imported item), but other stuff I've got less of.

Again, if you were to go into one of my rooms, you'd find what seems like a mountain of cleaning materials.  But if I were to put them away in the under-sink cupboards in the kitchen and laundry room and bathroom they'd pretty much 'disappear'. 

I am getting more and more wound up about lots of people out there, including politicians and journalists and people I meet online, who are horrid because they can't see things from someone else's perspective.

I have felt very heartwarmed, though, by an email from someone elsesite whom I often clash with (but not nastily on the part of either of us) thanking me for repeatedly asking people to consider others different from them.  The person then mentioned homeless people and spoke of stereotypes.  Another group that gets maligned.

Why have I typed all this?  Well obviously I wanted to get it out, but more particularly to do so in a place where we all know what it is not to be a bog-standard 'normal' 'typical' 'textbook' human being, and we all know other people that aren't.

Stay safe, my lovely, lovely Ouchers!  The kind people who simply by being there, not to mention all that you say, remind me it's ok not to meet random standards of 'normal' people.
(I'm an obsessive problem-solver, so feel free to ignore any suggestions or solutions I offer, even if they sound terribly insistent.)

Sunshine

Well said hugs to all x

Edit to add. My laptop is broken so I am using a tablet when downstairs hence lack of text. More in a bit.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2020 08:35AM by Sunshine »